Buck Turgidson

Default Protecting Door Hinges from Corrosion

Not exactly related to wood, but I suspect there is some knowledge here. I
replaced my interior doors with solid pine. I bought some new brass-colored
Stanley hinges for the doors. They are already discoloring and even rusting
in some spots, after about 2 months.

Can I coat them with something like shellac or flat poly to arrest the
corrosion and discoloration? Should I replace them with solid brass?
They're just hinges, but it is annoying to have something look so bad so
quickly The original 40 year-old hinges didn't look as bad.

Fletis Humplebacker

"Buck Turgidson"
Not exactly related to wood, but I suspect there is some knowledge here. I
replaced my interior doors with solid pine. I bought some new brass-colored
Stanley hinges for the doors. They are already discoloring and even rusting
in some spots, after about 2 months.

Can I coat them with something like shellac or flat poly to arrest the
corrosion and discoloration? Should I replace them with solid brass?
They're just hinges, but it is annoying to have something look so bad so
quickly The original 40 year-old hinges didn't look as bad.

It sounds like you want the brass look so I would get the real deal.
Otherwise you could primer and paint.

loutent

I am cosidering replacement of our 3.5 x 3.5 door hinges (which have
badly tarnished after 18 years). When I was at the local HD, I noticed
that they sell "lifetime finish" hinges which would be a great
replacement. They were sold individually at around $8 each. A little
expensive, but worth considering at least for some of the most visible
doors.

Sorry that I can't recall the manufacturer.

Lou

In article , Buck Turgidson
wrote:

Not exactly related to wood, but I suspect there is some knowledge here. I
replaced my interior doors with solid pine. I bought some new brass-colored
Stanley hinges for the doors. They are already discoloring and even rusting
in some spots, after about 2 months.

Can I coat them with something like shellac or flat poly to arrest the
corrosion and discoloration? Should I replace them with solid brass?
They're just hinges, but it is annoying to have something look so bad so
quickly The original 40 year-old hinges didn't look as bad.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote:

It sounds like you want the brass look so I would get the real deal.

Buck, if you want the look of brass over a long period of time you've
got to get brass. Stanley and others have cheaped out and are only
putting a thin flash of brass and a lacquer-like finish to maintain the
look just long enough.

Otherwise you could primer and paint.

Ummm, Fletis? You think that will look good at *all* much less for any
length of time? Every door in my house has had it's hinges pulled,
stripped and remounted. I'd much rather have tarnished brass or
discolored nickel plating than paint. YOMV

____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."
-- Ann Hayman Zwinger
mike

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message ...
Not exactly related to wood, but I suspect there is some knowledge here. I
replaced my interior doors with solid pine. I bought some new brass-colored
Stanley hinges for the doors. They are already discoloring and even rusting
in some spots, after about 2 months.

Can I coat them with something like shellac or flat poly to arrest the
corrosion and discoloration? Should I replace them with solid brass?
They're just hinges, but it is annoying to have something look so bad so
quickly The original 40 year-old hinges didn't look as bad.

Get a can of spray lacquer, two coats, every couple of years. Door
knobs, twice a year. Your hinges are brass plated steel.
mike