Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rainwater collecting from gutters

i can find nothing on drainage at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html

i have a downpipe hanging loose,
whilst fixing it i would like to add rainwater collecting,
can i fit some kind of valve high up
so that water can come down a pipe to a rainwater collecter
but if theres loads of rain it will overflow down the existing pipe?

Will the new rainwater colecting pipe be able to be buried and to go
round the house and then up again to almost the height it started at?

any links to help me please?

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:24:03 +0000, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

i can find nothing on drainage at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html

i have a downpipe hanging loose,
whilst fixing it i would like to add rainwater collecting, can i fit
some kind of valve high up
so that water can come down a pipe to a rainwater collecter but if
theres loads of rain it will overflow down the existing pipe?

Will the new rainwater colecting pipe be able to be buried and to go
round the house and then up again to almost the height it started at?

any links to help me please?

Search for "rain diverters"

Don't neglect checking both your local council and water authority, they
will often supply complete systems at a subsidised price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge writes:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:24:03 +0000, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

i can find nothing on drainage at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html

i have a downpipe hanging loose,
whilst fixing it i would like to add rainwater collecting, can i fit
some kind of valve high up
so that water can come down a pipe to a rainwater collecter but if
theres loads of rain it will overflow down the existing pipe?

Will the new rainwater colecting pipe be able to be buried and to go
round the house and then up again to almost the height it started at?

any links to help me please?

Search for "rain diverters"

That's what I have, but I think a better way may be to run all the
water into the water butt, and have it overflow down the original
soakaway. That would mean the water in the butt gets continually
changed when you aren't using it, including skimming off anything
floating on the surface.

OTOH, I've never had it go stagnent, even with months of storage
in the warm summer, and passing all the water through the butt
would increase rate of sediment build-up in the bottom.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:24:03 +0000, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

i can find nothing on drainage at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html

i have a downpipe hanging loose,
whilst fixing it i would like to add rainwater collecting, can i fit
some kind of valve high up
so that water can come down a pipe to a rainwater collecter but if
theres loads of rain it will overflow down the existing pipe?

Will the new rainwater colecting pipe be able to be buried and to go
round the house and then up again to almost the height it started at?

any links to help me please?

Search for "rain diverters"

But beware. I fitted one, and the next ting water was ****ing out of it.

Leaves caught in it and blocked it..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But beware. I fitted one, and the next ting water was ****ing out of it.

Leaves caught in it and blocked it..

WICKES HAVE: Rain Diverter £5.37
so i'll get one and see what it is,, and read the instructions,
I dont thing it'd be enough for flushing toilets etc which is what i am
aiming towards...

maybe move the drainpipe away from the house walls
so that if it does block up and overflow it wont wet the foundations?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:

WICKES HAVE: Rain Diverter £5.37
so i'll get one and see what it is,, and read the instructions,
I dont thing it'd be enough for flushing toilets etc which is what i am
aiming towards...

maybe move the drainpipe away from the house walls
so that if it does block up and overflow it wont wet the foundations?

[g]

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....esting_%26_Use

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....esting_%26_Use

thanks,
is there a link there from
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/ ?

how closely linked are the two?

i'm a bit confused..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:32:56 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Huge wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:24:03 +0000, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

i can find nothing on drainage at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html

i have a downpipe hanging loose,
whilst fixing it i would like to add rainwater collecting, can i fit
some kind of valve high up
so that water can come down a pipe to a rainwater collecter but if
theres loads of rain it will overflow down the existing pipe?

Will the new rainwater colecting pipe be able to be buried and to go
round the house and then up again to almost the height it started at?

any links to help me please?
Search for "rain diverters"

But beware. I fitted one, and the next ting water was ****ing out of it.

Leaves caught in it and blocked it..

I fitted some mesh in the top of the downpipe to filter that out.

that would leave water ****ing down the house wall in my case. So many
leaves and so much water on that downpipe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....esting_%26_Use

thanks,
is there a link there from
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/ ?

how closely linked are the two?

i'm a bit confused..

Now I am too - those are both the same website.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....esting_%26_Use

thanks,
is there a link there from
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/ ?

how closely linked are the two?

i'm a bit confused..

Now I am too - those are both the same website.

NT

ok im very confused -

the other website i meant to mention was
www.diyfaq.org.uk

sssorry

[g]