Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rainwater collecting from gutters

In article ,
Huge writes:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:24:03 +0000, george (dicegeorge) wrote:

i can find nothing on drainage at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html

i have a downpipe hanging loose,
whilst fixing it i would like to add rainwater collecting, can i fit
some kind of valve high up
so that water can come down a pipe to a rainwater collecter but if
theres loads of rain it will overflow down the existing pipe?

Will the new rainwater colecting pipe be able to be buried and to go
round the house and then up again to almost the height it started at?

any links to help me please?

Search for "rain diverters"

That's what I have, but I think a better way may be to run all the
water into the water butt, and have it overflow down the original
soakaway. That would mean the water in the butt gets continually
changed when you aren't using it, including skimming off anything
floating on the surface.

OTOH, I've never had it go stagnent, even with months of storage
in the warm summer, and passing all the water through the butt
would increase rate of sediment build-up in the bottom.

--
Andrew Gabriel