Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED Torch @ Morrisons

FYI

Morrisons petrol stations have some really nice little aluminium body LED
torches for £2.99 inc 3 AAA batteries.

Three LED's and a lens, really bright, sends a beam a pretty reasonable
distance.

I didn't need another torch, but I bought one anyway. You can never have
too many torches IMO.

I like torches.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Morrisons petrol stations have some really nice little aluminium body LED
torches for £2.99 inc 3 AAA batteries.

Three LED's and a lens, really bright, sends a beam a pretty reasonable
distance.

I didn't need another torch, but I bought one anyway. You can never have
too many torches IMO.

I like torches.

I like these torches better:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

I like these torches better:

I have a few of the 9 LED ones dotted around.

Proved invaluable when the Microwave was tripping out the RCD recently
as I haven't fixed the garage light.
:¬)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
FYI

Morrisons petrol stations have some really nice little aluminium body LED
torches for £2.99 inc 3 AAA batteries.

Three LED's and a lens, really bright, sends a beam a pretty reasonable
distance.

I didn't need another torch, but I bought one anyway. You can never have
too many torches IMO.

I like torches.

Head torches?

http://cpc.farnell.com/LA0306408

Out of stock for now but I'm liking it, got one for the car and one for
the toolbox.

http://cpc.farnell.com/LA03064 is the base code for when it's not on
special but it often is.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote:
Bruce wrote:

I like these torches better:

I have a few of the 9 LED ones dotted around.

Proved invaluable when the Microwave was tripping out the RCD recently
as I haven't fixed the garage light.
:¬)

They are excellent. With 19 LEDs, not only do you get twice the light
output of the 9 LED version, but the body of the torch is better made,
with a rubberised handgrip. Highly recommended.

The 9 LED version is available singly:

or in packs of 2:

There's also a 14 LED version:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Jan, 19:59, fred wrote:
In article , The Medway
Handyman writesFYI

Morrisons petrol stations have some really nice little aluminium body LED
torches for £2.99 inc 3 AAA batteries.

Three LED's and a lens, really bright, sends a beam a pretty reasonable
distance.

I didn't need another torch, but I bought one anyway. *You can never have
too many torches IMO.

I like torches.

Head torches?

http://cpc.farnell.com/LA0306408

Out of stock for now but I'm liking it, got one for the car and one for
the toolbox.

http://cpc.farnell.com/LA03064is the base code for when it's not on
special but it often is.
--
fred

My brother has an excellent one which is rectangular in section and
hence doesn't roll when laid down. Rubber case and the light on one
side. Don't know where he got it from sadly.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 2:02*pm, Bruce wrote:
"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote:
Bruce wrote:

I like these torches better:

I have a few of the 9 LED ones dotted around.

Proved invaluable when the Microwave was tripping out the RCD recently
as I haven't fixed the garage light.
:¬)

They are excellent. * With 19 LEDs, not only do you get twice the light
output of the 9 LED version, but the body of the torch is better made,
with a rubberised handgrip. *Highly recommended.

The 9 LED version is available singly:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1254

or in packs of 2:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1255

There's also a 14 LED version:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5359

I have a few, actualy maybe 20, They are comming from China by the
boatload and are 1.50 US here with 3 batteries, but more Leds dont
mean more light, this group of chinese lights is maxed out at maybe 8
Leds, for 19 Leds you really need double the voltage, I have them from
3- 19 led and gave alot away as gifts. Shop at your large hardware
store you will find them cheap, the real bright ones are 3-5 watt look
for a rating on the package, one 5 watt led is 5x brighter than a 6-19
Led with 3 aaa batteries. Here Home Depot has the best price. 5, 9 led
lights and 15 batteries for 15$ US.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Head torches?

http://cpc.farnell.com/LA0306408

Out of stock for now but I'm liking it, got one for the car and one for
the toolbox.

A touch more expensive, but I really like

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=100007

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ransley wrote:

I have a few, actualy maybe 20, They are comming from China by the
boatload and are 1.50 US here with 3 batteries, but more Leds dont
mean more light, this group of chinese lights is maxed out at maybe 8
Leds, for 19 Leds you really need double the voltage,

Not if they are wired in parallel.

19 vs. 9 LEDs gives twice the illumination but half the battery life.
I can live with that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris J Dixon
writes
fred wrote:

Head torches?

http://cpc.farnell.com/LA0306408

Out of stock for now but I'm liking it, got one for the car and one for
the toolbox.

A touch more expensive, but I really like

An interesting choice of words, it's 6 times the price :-!

I'm sure it's not a great work of art but it's doing the job for me.

I forgot to mention it can be switched between 4, 8 and 12 led operation
to save the battery, I haven't had to use it above 4 yet.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on
earth for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on
earth for?

When I take the wheelie bin down to the road on a moonless, overcast
night in winter, I use a headlight. There are no streetlights nearby,
and the neighbours are not close enough to provide any light.

My husband uses a headlight when working on awkward bits of computer
equipment, as it points the light exactly where he's looking, and leaves
his hands free.

They're also useful for seeing what you're doing if you need to work in
the crawlspace under the ground floor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on
earth for?

You have never worked in a cellar on a CU of wired the lights up in a loft
then.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on
earth for?

- Going out to shut the chickens in their coop when it's dark (keep both
hands free for opening gates, carrying food bowls etc

- Seeing the ignition timing marks on my Moggy Traveller (which design
genius decided that they should be _under_ the car, tucked up behind the
radiator ??)

- Fixing the plumbing in dark corners of the loft

- Trotting down to the polytunnel in the dark to get some herbs for supper

They're amazingly useful, really ! g

Adrian - West Cork, Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on
earth for?

You have never worked in a cellar on a CU of wired the lights up in a loft
then.

I have, and I had no need of a strap on head light.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on
earth for?

You have never worked in a cellar on a CU of wired the lights up in a loft
then.

I have, and I had no need of a strap on head light.

Nor have I, but holding a torch in your mouth gets tiring.

I think it might be useful for painting, especially white on white
ceilings. Unless the light's at a particular angle you can't see the wet
edge. Then again, you might spend all your time adjusting the bloody thing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what
on earth for?

Ideal for grovelling about under sinks, baths etc so you can see what you
are trying to undo - do up & LED's give a fantastic illumination to any
drips - they glisten.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

Cos they illuminate the area you are looking at.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

Cos they illuminate the area you are looking at.

They also provide glare that comes straight back in your eyes!

I much prefer lighting from a torch; it's usually a trivial job to prop
it so it illuminates what you need. But it's a matter of personal
preference, and we're all different.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 18:15:12 +0000, Bruce wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

Cos they illuminate the area you are looking at.

They also provide glare that comes straight back in your eyes!

Can't say I ever noticed that when I had one clipped to my safety
helmet for a lot of years.

I much prefer lighting from a torch; it's usually a trivial job to prop
it so it illuminates what you need. But it's a matter of personal
preference, and we're all different.

Most of us only have two arms
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang wrote:
Bruce wrote:

They also provide glare that comes straight back in your eyes!

Can't say I ever noticed that when I had one clipped to my safety
helmet for a lot of years.

Funnily enough, I wore one on my safety helmet when working underground,
and I was well and truly fed up of the glare that resulted. The answer
was to take the light off my helmet and shine it on what I was looking
at, but from an oblique angle. Result: no glare.

But your mileage may vary (and obviously does!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:01:43 +0000, Bruce wrote:

Alang wrote:
Bruce wrote:

They also provide glare that comes straight back in your eyes!

Can't say I ever noticed that when I had one clipped to my safety
helmet for a lot of years.

Funnily enough, I wore one on my safety helmet when working underground,
and I was well and truly fed up of the glare that resulted. The answer
was to take the light off my helmet and shine it on what I was looking
at, but from an oblique angle. Result: no glare.

Never had any glare. Sometimes had reflected light

But your mileage may vary (and obviously does!).

Still only have two arms
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang wrote:
Bruce wrote:
They also provide glare that comes straight back in your eyes!
Can't say I ever noticed that when I had one clipped to my safety
helmet for a lot of years.

Funnily enough, I wore one on my safety helmet when working underground,
and I was well and truly fed up of the glare that resulted. The answer
was to take the light off my helmet and shine it on what I was looking
at, but from an oblique angle. Result: no glare.

Never had any glare. Sometimes had reflected light
But your mileage may vary (and obviously does!).

Still only have two arms

Perhaps the light needs to be on a flexible antenna
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2009 19:06 Bruce wrote:

I like these torches better:

I've made three purchases from Dealextreme and all three had to go back.

An infra red thermometer that read zero at all times, a li-on camera
battery that stayed charged for no more than three minutes, a high
capacity li-on laptop battery that provided power for a shorter time
than the standard battery.

You gets what you pays for...

YMMV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2009 13:50 Bruce wrote:

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on
earth for?

Providing the light with which to take photographs when being pulled on
a sledge, through snow, by a dozen huskies, north of the Arctic Circle.

Recommended? You bet!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Tim Decker wrote:
I have bought a couple of nice head lights (for strapping to your
head) from here.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/index.php

They don't seem to have them in stock at the moment, but they have
some other good stuff.

I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.

I use head lights all the time. When you need both hands free to work on
something they are ideal for DIY - especially electrical and network
wiring. Even simple stuff like getting behind a TV or hifi and plugging
in leads. Hand held torches just don't cut it.

I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on
earth for?

Me, and see above.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Perhaps the light needs to be on a flexible antenna

I have one which is. Actually, it's a non-head torch with a flexible
stalk, to which I have added a strap as I couldn't buy a head-torch when
I needed one. It turns out it's usually best to put the light right in
close to my head - as soon as it's anywhere else I find the light gets
shadowed by obstructions, whereas if it's near my eyes it shines through
the same gap I'm looking through.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote:
On 10/01/2009 13:50 Bruce wrote:
I have never worked out why I would need to strap a torch to my head.
I see the things on sale and wonder who on earth buys them, and what on
earth for?

Providing the light with which to take photographs when being pulled on
a sledge, through snow, by a dozen huskies, north of the Arctic Circle.

Next time I intend to do that, I'll buy one.

It could be a very long wait.

But at least I know what they're for. Thanks. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I use head lights all the time.

All the time? Every waking hour, you mean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang wrote:
Bruce wrote:
They also provide glare that comes straight back in your eyes!
Can't say I ever noticed that when I had one clipped to my safety
helmet for a lot of years.

Funnily enough, I wore one on my safety helmet when working underground,
and I was well and truly fed up of the glare that resulted. The answer
was to take the light off my helmet and shine it on what I was looking
at, but from an oblique angle. Result: no glare.

Never had any glare. Sometimes had reflected light
But your mileage may vary (and obviously does!).

Still only have two arms

Perhaps the light needs to be on a flexible antenna

Miner' s lamps had a main beam and dipped. I used the dipped for
working. Never had any problems
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
I use head lights all the time.

All the time? Every waking hour, you mean?

They get in the way when snogging, but other than that they are ok ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Bruce wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
I use head lights all the time.

All the time? Every waking hour, you mean?

They get in the way when snogging, but other than that they are ok ;-)

Moving on from snogging, I suppose they could be useful finding your way
around interesting, dark places, or even reading a map. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Bruce wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
I use head lights all the time.

All the time? Every waking hour, you mean?

They get in the way when snogging, but other than that they are ok ;-)

Moving on from snogging, I suppose they could be useful finding your way
around interesting, dark places, or even reading a map. ;-)

There are several answers to that, but they all lower the tone a little
too far even for me ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Bruce wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
I use head lights all the time.

All the time? Every waking hour, you mean?

They get in the way when snogging, but other than that they are ok ;-)

You still snog?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Bruce wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
I use head lights all the time.

All the time? Every waking hour, you mean?

They get in the way when snogging, but other than that they are ok ;-)

You still snog?

Yeah, but I am fussy so you can put the mistletoe down ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.