Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lightswitch with neons: does it exist?

Hello,

I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on. If I needed a one-gang switch I could use a spur with
neon but I am after a 2-gang switch with two neons; does such a thing
exist?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:24:16 +0000 someone who may be Stephen
wrote this:-

I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on. If I needed a one-gang switch I could use a spur with
neon but I am after a 2-gang switch with two neons; does such a thing
exist?

You can make what you want with grid components, MK and Crabtree
produce ranges, though you will need a double box. I have never seen
a two gang light switch with neons, though I do have a (very old)
single gang light switch with neon.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on. If I needed a one-gang switch I could use a spur with
neon but I am after a 2-gang switch with two neons; does such a thing
exist?

They're not available as ordinary light switches because any indicator
which lights when on requires a neutral return. Not a problem on an FCU
because the neutral is always present - but isn't normally at a light
switch.

If you can provide an neutral, the easiest way to get what you require is
to assemble it from grid switch components. But this would mean a two gang
size plate for two switches plus two indicators.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on. If I needed a one-gang switch I could use a spur with
neon but I am after a 2-gang switch with two neons; does such a thing
exist?

Thanks.

Its simple to fit neons to light switch plates. There are push through
types that sit in a 1/4" hole, and larger ones, or you can use wire
end neons and put the tips only into a 3mm hole in the face plate,
gluing them in place. Neons need a series resistor, they're available
with or without this.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:24:16 UTC, Stephen wrote:

I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on. If I needed a one-gang switch I could use a spur with
neon but I am after a 2-gang switch with two neons; does such a thing
exist?

A couple of ideas...

Use a dual box (not a double one; a dual box takes two single plates and
is a fraction wider); then use two fused and neon-ed FCUs. You'll need
to take neutrals down to the switches though.

Use the neons that fit between the switchplate and the box (i.e. are a
plastic rectangle with a neon in them). These are usually used to show
the location of a switch when it is off (when they need no neutral) but
you could use a double pole switch to provide a connection point, and
see if two of them will fit. You won't necessrily be able to see which
of them is 'on', but the switch position will tell the user that! This
could all be done with a single box if you use a two gang DP switch (and
can find one).

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:24:16 +0000, Stephen wrote:

I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on.

Doesn't the position of the toggle tell you that?

I am after a 2-gang switch with two neons; does such a thing exist?

Can't say I've ever seen anything. Make something from grid switch bits?

K4896NWHI MK Grid Switch 1 Way Double Pole & Neon 20 amp

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 18:25:27 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If you can provide an neutral, the easiest way to get what you require
is to assemble it from grid switch components. But this would mean a two
gang size plate for two switches plus two indicators.

Na, you can get grid switches with built in neons now, all manner of
kitchen type engravings (and blank). See my other post with a MK reference
number.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:24:16 +0000, Stephen wrote:

I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on.

Doesn't the position of the toggle tell you that?

If that's good enough, there are switches with a red patch that
becomes visible when in the on position.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:24:16 +0000, Stephen wrote:

I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on.

Doesn't the position of the toggle tell you that?

If that's good enough, there are switches with a red patch that
becomes visible when in the on position.

NT

Don't they usually light up in the "off" position. Usually the neon is wired
across the switch contacts - otherwise a neutral is needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on. If I needed a one-gang switch I could use a spur with
neon but I am after a 2-gang switch with two neons; does such a thing
exist?

They're not available as ordinary light switches because any indicator
which lights when on requires a neutral return. Not a problem on an FCU
because the neutral is always present - but isn't normally at a light
switch.

I think you will find that putting a neon across the switch will cause it to
light when a normal bulb is present as it will provide a low enough
impedance to neutral for the neon to work.
I doubt if it will work with a CFL.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They're not available as ordinary light switches because any indicator
which lights when on requires a neutral return. Not a problem on an FCU
because the neutral is always present - but isn't normally at a light
switch.

I hadn't appreciated that; thanks, I'll have to think more about it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:45:08 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

h to remind me the
light is on.

Doesn't the position of the toggle tell you that?

Only if you remember to look closely; I thought a red neon glowing in
the dark might be more attention-grabbing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:06:05 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I think you will find that putting a neon across the switch will cause it to
light when a normal bulb is present as it will provide a low enough
impedance to neutral for the neon to work.
I doubt if it will work with a CFL.

You beat me to it, I was about to ask whether CFLs would flicker when
wired like this.

Shock from lightswitch/radiator petek UK diy 51 January 16th 09 03:16 PM
Lightswitch confusion JC UK diy 13 January 10th 07 05:47 PM
lightswitch rating? johnty UK diy 5 June 23rd 05 11:34 AM
Difficult to change lightswitch? JC Home Repair 10 March 10th 05 06:16 PM
Moving a Lightswitch - Cavity Wall Roger Mills UK diy 4 September 3rd 03 04:13 PM