Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default lightswitch with neons: does it exist?

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:24:16 UTC, Stephen wrote:

I want to switch two lights that are outdoors. Because they are remote
from the switch I would like a neon on the switch to remind me the
light is on. If I needed a one-gang switch I could use a spur with
neon but I am after a 2-gang switch with two neons; does such a thing
exist?

A couple of ideas...

Use a dual box (not a double one; a dual box takes two single plates and
is a fraction wider); then use two fused and neon-ed FCUs. You'll need
to take neutrals down to the switches though.

Use the neons that fit between the switchplate and the box (i.e. are a
plastic rectangle with a neon in them). These are usually used to show
the location of a switch when it is off (when they need no neutral) but
you could use a double pole switch to provide a connection point, and
see if two of them will fit. You won't necessrily be able to see which
of them is 'on', but the switch position will tell the user that! This
could all be done with a single box if you use a two gang DP switch (and
can find one).

http://www.diybanter.com