Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lino on unlevel floorboards

I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with lino.
The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of boards which are
thinner than the rest, unnoticable before but now more obvious when you step
there.
It isn't bothering me enough to warrant doing anything drastic but I have
wondered about 'plastering' over the depressed parts with something.
I guess it would have to be something uncrumbly, any ideas on something that
would work well?
Best I can come up with is a bit of tarmac

Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with
lino. The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of
boards which are thinner than the rest, unnoticable before but now
more obvious when you step there.
It isn't bothering me enough to warrant doing anything drastic but I
have wondered about 'plastering' over the depressed parts with
something. I guess it would have to be something uncrumbly, any ideas on
something that would work well?
Best I can come up with is a bit of tarmac

Ta.

Cover it with a sheet[s] of WPB (marine) plywood of a suitable thickness and
screwed down at the edges and middle of the board[s] to enable it to be
lifted if necessary.

NB: At a pinch, you could even do the same thing with hardboard!

BTW "plastering" over the boards is not generally a good idea for a number
of reasons.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
R D S wrote:
[...]

I tihnk green (water resistant) chipboard would be cheaper than ply.
Hardboard has often been used for this sort of thing. Replacing the
bad boards is also an option!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
R D S wrote:

I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with
lino. The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of
boards which are thinner than the rest

Is the gap small enough that a few sheets of folded newspaper will fill
it? Feather it out over a larger area with fewer sheets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
Cash wrote:
R D S wrote:

I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with
lino. The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of
boards which are thinner than the rest

Is the gap small enough that a few sheets of folded newspaper will fill
it? Feather it out over a larger area with fewer sheets.

Oooh, now that's an idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with lino.
The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of boards which are
thinner than the rest, unnoticable before but now more obvious when you step
there.
It isn't bothering me enough to warrant doing anything drastic but I have
wondered about 'plastering' over the depressed parts with something.
I guess it would have to be something uncrumbly, any ideas on something that
would work well?
Best I can come up with is a bit of tarmac

Either lift the low boards and add packers on the joists to bring them
up level, or screw 6 or 9mm WBP ply down all over.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
R D S wrote:
I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with lino.
The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of boards
which are thinner than the rest, unnoticable before but now more
obvious when you step there.
It isn't bothering me enough to warrant doing anything drastic but I
have wondered about 'plastering' over the depressed parts with something.
I guess it would have to be something uncrumbly, any ideas on
something that would work well?
Best I can come up with is a bit of tarmac

Either lift the low boards and add packers on the joists to bring them
up level, or screw 6 or 9mm WBP ply down all over.

2mm mdf just on the thin boards maybe?
Covering the whole floor creates a step at the doorway, and would
probably mean trimming the door. Depends what the OP means by "drastic" :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
R D S wrote:
[...]

I doubt I could get anything 'bob on' so if I was to start screwing stuff
onto the boards I would probably end up with raised bits.
As I said I am not bothered or I would replace the questionable boards or
board over the lot (which would involve taking the bog out again, which is
where I can't be arsed), my only concern is that I hope to sell the house in
a few months and what doesn't bother me might bother a potential buyer.
I wondered if there was some sort of glob which would set hard but not break
up that I could spread over the offending areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
R D S wrote:
[...]

Plaster with lashings of pva mixed in might do it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

I wondered if there was some sort of glob which would set hard but not break
up that I could spread over the offending areas.

Flexible floor tile adhesive designed for wooden floors...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 19:21:43 -0000, "R D S" wrote:

I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with lino.
The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of boards which are
thinner than the rest, unnoticable before but now more obvious when you step
there.
It isn't bothering me enough to warrant doing anything drastic but I have
wondered about 'plastering' over the depressed parts with something.
I guess it would have to be something uncrumbly, any ideas on something that
would work well?
Best I can come up with is a bit of tarmac

Ta.

You mention a couple of boards being "low" but what about gaps between
the boards...are there any cos they'll show up just as badly after a
while of it being walked on . As others have suggested boarding the
whole floor is probably the only solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Dec, 19:21, "R D S" wrote:
I pulled the laminate up from our bathroom floor to replace it with lino.
The floor isn't in bad condition but there are a couple of boards which are
thinner than the rest, unnoticable before but now more obvious when you step
there.
It isn't bothering me enough to warrant doing anything drastic but I have
wondered about 'plastering' over the depressed parts with something.
I guess it would have to be something uncrumbly, any ideas on something that
would work well?
Best I can come up with is a bit of tarmac

Ta.

Dear RDS
Under such circumstances surely the appropriate course of action is to
raise the two boards and plate the joists below with suitable shims of
thin ply so the boards are now level.
17th and early 18th C houses normally had each area of contact with
the joist in a board planed across the grain to allow the exact fit
which is why it was so important to label such boards when lifting and
relaying so they all went in the right place.
Chris

Lino in bathroom, over floorboards R D S UK diy 2 July 23rd 07 12:11 AM
unlevel floor prob steve Home Repair 5 April 4th 07 01:29 AM
How to fix unlevel join? Dave In Oz Woodworking 23 September 6th 06 02:10 AM
Unlevel floor [email protected] UK diy 0 April 19th 05 09:38 AM
Help needed with an Unlevel Sandstone Floor Mike UK diy 3 October 5th 04 10:03 PM