Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vented fascia (not soffit)???

Hi,

Following on from yesterday's photo session, I wonder if anyone has come
across a solution to venting fascias where there is no soffit.

I need to vent these, ideally to about 25mm continuous at least. We'll be
venting the entire roof surface through these vents so little wibbly ones
won't be much good.

Here's what I need to vent:

Inside face
http://www.dionic.net/Alveston/Dec08...G_0023_gb.html

Outside face
http://www.dionic.net/Alveston/Dec08...G_0033_gb.html

This appears to be exactly designed for the job (bottom most picture):

http://www.deerparkroofing.com/ventilation.php

But it's american and I've not found it in the UK.

Anyone know if there's a stock solution to this problem?

----------

I don't think the usual British over-fascia vent strip will work due to the
tightness of the overlap of the felt - and this job needs to be done
without damaging the felt as it was only re-done 3-4 years ago (expensive
job too).

Failing everything else, the fall back would be to cut 300mm long x 25mm
wide horizontal slots in the PVC fascia lining up with the rafter ends,
guard with mesh and apply an external rain guard to prevent driving rain
from entering (although with careful placement, the gutter might do this).

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Nasty problem.

Vents have a you know to be rain and insect proof, and certainly
mammal/bird proof.

I'd be tempted to use something like cut down guttering parts glued to
holes covered with mesh..Ive never seen a custom part to actually
perform this function.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Tim S wrote:
[...]

ISTR seeing louvered plastic vents pre-fitted with insect screens at
B+Q.

These might be too deep for the height of Tim's fascia.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TNP:

Yep - it's a bit yuk. Can't believe no-one's come up with a stock solution.
I've seen enough soffitless fascias to know there's a demand for a second
type of vent apart from the over fascia type and the americans worked out a
solution which seems in retrospect, totally obvious.

I'm seeing a pattern between this and thermal stores - we seem to be happy
to not bother going the extra yard in the UK. Probably why we're stuffed.

I'll give it a day or two to see if anyone else has heard of a product that
would work, otherwise I'll start drawing up some ways to modify a plain
100mm fascia.

Other Tim: Something like that might work - as you can see in the picture
outside, the gutter does provide a fair degree of guarding against direct
exposure to rain. The louvred vents might just finish off a well placed
slot.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

How about something like:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50089/...Adaptor-225mm#

augmented with a fly screen glued to the back of it?

(chop your way through with a multimaster)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45372/...ate-205-x-61mm

might cover the edges

and

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/78560/...-90-Bend-225mm

could be used on the inside (pointing up obviously ;-) to make sure
water can't blow in

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Other Tim: Something like that might work - as you can see in the picture
outside, the gutter does provide a fair degree of guarding against direct
exposure to rain. The louvred vents might just finish off a well placed
slot.

Just found:

http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/louvre-...vc-p-1459.html

- don't know if there is a UK supplier. but would be dead easy to fit
loads with a holesaw...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

How about something like:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50089/...Adaptor-225mm#

augmented with a fly screen glued to the back of it?

(chop your way through with a multimaster)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45372/...ate-205-x-61mm

might cover the edges

and

I was thinking about something like this.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/78560/...-90-Bend-225mm

could be used on the inside (pointing up obviously ;-) to make sure
water can't blow in

And I was wondering where I might get something like that - thanks, I reckon
it's perfect - certainly will guard the rain.

Cheers John

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Other Tim: Something like that might work - as you can see in the picture
outside, the gutter does provide a fair degree of guarding against direct
exposure to rain. The louvred vents might just finish off a well placed
slot.

Just found:

http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/louvre-...vc-p-1459.html

- don't know if there is a UK supplier. but would be dead easy to fit
loads with a holesaw...

I think I;ve seen those somewhere in the UK.

Oh - it was these

http://www.klober.co.uk/product2.php?id=39

and they're not as good...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

Other Tim: Something like that might work - as you can see in the picture
outside, the gutter does provide a fair degree of guarding against direct
exposure to rain. The louvred vents might just finish off a well placed
slot.

Just found:

http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/louvre-...vc-p-1459.html
- don't know if there is a UK supplier. but would be dead easy to fit
loads with a holesaw...

I think I;ve seen those somewhere in the UK.

Oh - it was these

http://www.klober.co.uk/product2.php?id=39

and they're not as good...

No, the screen is not as fine and there is no louvre element to keep the
rain out... (screwfix do them as well IIRC - got a drawer full I never
got round to using somewhere!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi John,

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

How about something like:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50089/...Adaptor-225mm#

augmented with a fly screen glued to the back of it?

(chop your way through with a multimaster)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/45372/...ate-205-x-61mm

might cover the edges

and

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/78560/...-90-Bend-225mm

could be used on the inside (pointing up obviously ;-) to make sure
water can't blow in

Just wanted to say - I've tweaked your idea a fraction - there's a 45 degree
bend in System-225 here, which I think will give a good airflow and still
retard rain:

http://www.i-sells.co.uk/system-degr...end-p-416.html

Now, according to that web site, the actual duct dimensions are 234mm x 29mm
which sounds ideal. There's a 300-odd mm wide one in the same depth, but I
suspect that will weaken the board too much...

I think this idea will totally work. It might be possible to do the work
in-situ - it's a balance between the doing it from the rear or up a ladder
versus taking the board down, and more importantly, putting it up again in
a weakened state (it's 3.4m long). It will be stable enough once it's
nailed of course.

At the moment, from a ladder in spring is winning in my mind.

Anyway, all the parts are in the spreadsheet and cost of bits is about 95
quid plus flyscreen.

Again, many thanks for an excellent suggestion.

Cheers

Tim