Default eves fascia without soffit

I am thinking of having a soffitless eves on my extension due to
various space requirements / clearance.
Any problems that should steer me clear of this design ?
TIA,
Simon.

Andy

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am thinking of having a soffitless eves on my extension due to
various space requirements / clearance.
Any problems that should steer me clear of this design ?
TIA,
Simon.

I have seen it done - you can see all the rafter ends poking out. Can look
quite good. Sorry, no experience
of it myself,

Andy.

I have seen it done - you can see all the rafter ends poking out. Can look
quite good. Sorry, no experience
of it myself,

Sorry, dont think I mean that - I think I mean a flush eves. Just a
fascia plate alost flush with the wall that covers the end of the
rafters, so you don't actually see them.
Simon.

Alex

Just make sure that both sides of the facia are given a good coat of primer
before installing,they can rot out very quickly if not

Nick H

Alex Wrote:
Just make sure that both sides of the facia are given a good coat of
primer
before installing,they can rot out very quickly if not

This is easy enough to do just remember that your external skin of
brickwork will need to be built up higher than normal in order to be
covered by the facia.
There is also the question of vents, you can either use facia top vents
or simply use a breathable underfelt.

--
Nick H

dg

These were typical on many system built properties from the 60's, and
the problems that we have to deal with today are water penetration due
to rotten/punctured/defective sarking felt at the eaves, and also
problems with gutter leaks or overflowing.

This causes water to soak backwards into the wall, where otherwise it
would drip from a soffit.

This design requires carefull detailing and care should be exercised
when constructing.

dg

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"dg" writes:
These were typical on many system built properties from the 60's, and
the problems that we have to deal with today are water penetration due
to rotten/punctured/defective sarking felt at the eaves, and also
problems with gutter leaks or overflowing.

This causes water to soak backwards into the wall, where otherwise it
would drip from a soffit.

Use a felt support tray.

I replaced the facias on the back of my house this summer (next
summer, the front gets done). Additionally, I stripped parts of
the roof and replaced the felt, and fitted a felt support tray
all the way along. (Note you don't need to strip off any of the
roof just to fit a felt support tray, although it will be easier
if you lift off or push up the lowest row of tiles, which you'll
need to do to replace the facia anyway.)

--
Andrew Gabriel