Shawn

Default Incorrect soffit vent?

I live in a 20 year old (or so) condo. My attic/loft is livable
space, but is always uncomfortable in the summer. I've been doing my
research on powered attic ventilators, but because of safety issues
felt it would be better to go with the passive approach.

In looking at the venting, I have a ridge vent, and some soffit
venting, but only on the front. When there is soffit vent, it's
stagged sections every 18" or so across the front, not a continuous
soffit vent as I would expect. However, in the back the soffit is
solid, or so it appears. There is no visible venting in that soffit
at all. Some new units in the development were built in the last 2 or
3 years, so I thought I'd see how they did it and make a case to have
the venting installed. SAME THING. In the new units they have
staggered venting in the front soffits, and solid soffits in the rear.

What gives? I thought the idea was to have good venting on both sides
of the attic soffit? Why would a builder do it this way, with solid
in the back and vented in the front?

I've taken temperature measurements, and when it's 80 degrees outside,
its typically 120 degrees in the attic. I can't install gable vents,
because they are brick/block and not permitted to be altered. PAV is
out because of backdrafting, I have a ridge vent - so what are my
options?

Shawn
Joseph Meehan

Shawn wrote:
[...]

It appears someone put in insufficient venting. Without seeing it, it
would be difficult to tell. May I ask if there are any other vents than the
soffit vents? Soffits let air in, you also need vents up higher to let the
hot air out. I will also suggest that power venting and what venting
designs work best does depend on local conditions. What works for me may not
work well for you.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Shawn

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:23:02 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Shawn wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Joe. The only other venting is the ridge vent, maybe a 20'
section or so, on a 30' roof line. Other than that, there isn't
anything else. Just the every-other soffit vent in the front, and
solid soffits in the back. All the venting in the place is bad -
dryer is vented to the attic, air conditioner water discharge goes out
to the soffit vent in the rear, and it just drips out wherever it
finds an opening, bathroom fans are vented to the attic. Not a great
setup, so I'm trying to make the changes all at one.

Does anyone know if there are roof discharges for dryers?
George E. Cawthon

wrote:

Shawn wrote:

[...]

Good grief, everyone knows you don't vent anything
into the attic, it either goes out the side or
through the roof. The dryer vent needs to exit
through the roof, or possibly trough the soffit to
the outside, or through a wall. Depending on
where the dryer is, most vent directly to an
outside wall. Bathroom vents usually/often vent
through the roof. The AC drip hose needs to run
directly to the outside, through the soffit is ok
but it shouldn't end before exiting the soffit.

At least that's my take, you might want to check
with the local building department to see what is
currently standard It sounds like the
construction probably violated the local code when
constructed and is certainly poor practice.

I'm not sure what livable space attic is, unless
you mean it has a floor. Old time attics that
were livable, didn't have real venting, just
windows at the gable ends. If the attic has a
floor but still has real venting (soffits and
ridge), one might use it for storage but I
wouldn't call it livable.
Joseph Meehan

wrote:

Shawn wrote:
[...]

Ridge venting is good.

Other than that, there isn't
anything else. Just the every-other soffit vent in the front, and
solid soffits in the back.

Local codes should specify how many square inches of vent per square
feet of area vented is required. More is always better.

All the venting in the place is bad -
dryer is vented to the attic,

Very bad, and against code in many areas.

air conditioner water discharge goes out
to the soffit vent in the rear, and it just drips out wherever it
finds an opening, bathroom fans are vented to the attic. Not a great
setup, so I'm trying to make the changes all at one.

Yea they all need changing.

Does anyone know if there are roof discharges for dryers?

Yes. I would prefer a gable end vent, but that is not always possible.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Roy Starrin

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:04:56 -0400, Shawn
asked:
Does anyone know if there are roof discharges for dryers?

http://tinyurl.com/9jsox

Here's another spot with dryer vents (take your pick)
http://www.lambro.net/prodtype.asp?prodtype=36

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:04:56 -0400 Shawn
posted:

wrote:

Shawn wrote:
I live in a 20 year old (or so) condo. My attic/loft is livable
space, but is always uncomfortable in the summer. I've been doing my
research on powered attic ventilators, but because of safety issues

What safety issues? As long as my head is not high enough to hit it,
I don't see any. If I were that tall, I'd build a frame around it,
and maybe a screen if I had a wife with long hair.

I have a roof fan, I call it, and it works great. Starts between noon
and 2 and turns off by 10. Little noise, no noise when sleeping.
Lowered my upstairs temperature at least 10 degrees. The attic
temperature, probably from 140 on sunny hot days to no more than 95
when it is 90 out, I'm guessing 88 when it is 80 out.

felt it would be better to go with the passive approach.

In looking at the venting, I have a ridge vent, and some soffit
venting, but only on the front. When there is soffit vent, it's
stagged sections every 18" or so across the front, not a continuous
soffit vent as I would expect. However, in the back the soffit is
solid, or so it appears. There is no visible venting in that soffit
at all. Some new units in the development were built in the last 2 or
3 years, so I thought I'd see how they did it and make a case to have
the venting installed. SAME THING. In the new units they have
staggered venting in the front soffits, and solid soffits in the rear.

What gives? I thought the idea was to have good venting on both sides
of the attic soffit? Why would a builder do it this way, with solid
in the back and vented in the front?

I have a cheap townhouse built 26 years ago, and it has 4 inch wide
soffit vents the full length of both front and rear soffitts. I think
it just has vinyl window screening stapled to wood, but it's fine.
(Well, a couple birds got in before I bought the house and died with
their heads sticking out of the pink insulation, but I repaired that.
Nothing else has gotten in.

I've taken temperature measurements, and when it's 80 degrees outside,
its typically 120 degrees in the attic. I can't install gable vents,

Not surprised. There were other threads about this in the last two
weeks, with my long experience in one post in one of them. search in
groups.google.com advanced search on this group and "meirman" for the
author. That will find you the whole thread.

[...]

Like the others say, these are all bad. I'm thinking the dryer air is
especially damp, will wet the insulation, and make that not work
right, and iiuc might cause all the problems that having a moisture
barrier on the floor insulation might. I'm vague on this.

Does anyone know if there are roof discharges for dryers?

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.