Howie

Default Bathroom Exhaust Vent - Soffit Mount?

I had a discussion started a while back about a bathroom exhaust vent
(soffit mount) titled "bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit vent?".

I found a solution locally, click on the link and let me know what you
think: http://www.duraflo.com/_tier3.asp?x=1&y=28&z=2

Howie

Joseph Meehan

Howie wrote:
I had a discussion started a while back about a bathroom exhaust vent
(soffit mount) titled "bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit

vent?".

I found a solution locally, click on the link and let me know what you
think: http://www.duraflo.com/_tier3.asp?x=1&y=28&z=2

Howie

I doubt if they tell you, but that vent should be fairly far away from
any soffit vents. If it is near soffit vents it is the same thing as
venting it into the attic as the warm moist air is ejected under to soffit
only to be picked up and put back into the attic be adjacent soffit vents.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

American Mechanical

"Howie" wrote in message
I had a discussion started a while back about a bathroom exhaust vent
(soffit mount) titled "bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit

vent?".

I found a solution locally, click on the link and let me know what you
think: http://www.duraflo.com/_tier3.asp?x=1&y=28&z=2

Howie

Looks good to me. Probably better than the dryer termination I pointed you
to, but I must say that the dryerbox vents work great for dryers!

- Robert

Bruce

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:41:33 -0600, "Howie" wrote:

I had a discussion started a while back about a bathroom exhaust vent
(soffit mount) titled "bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit vent?".

I found a solution locally, click on the link and let me know what you
think: http://www.duraflo.com/_tier3.asp?x=1&y=28&z=2

Howie

A few years ago we were doing some work on a house and noticed that
the soffit was rotten around one of the soffit vents. When we took
the soffit off we found that someone had run a flexible pipe from the
bathroom vent to the soffit vent to exhaust the moist air. The
problem was that all that moisture had promoted the rotting of the
soffit.

I don't know if that would be a problem with this particular vent, but
I would prefer venting through the roof if there was an option.

Bruce
A&B Construction
Houston, TX
www.roof.cc
Howie

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:41:33 -0600, "Howie" wrote:

I had a discussion started a while back about a bathroom exhaust vent
(soffit mount) titled "bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit

vent?".

I found a solution locally, click on the link and let me know what you
think: http://www.duraflo.com/_tier3.asp?x=1&y=28&z=2

Howie

A few years ago we were doing some work on a house and noticed that
the soffit was rotten around one of the soffit vents. When we took
the soffit off we found that someone had run a flexible pipe from the
bathroom vent to the soffit vent to exhaust the moist air. The
problem was that all that moisture had promoted the rotting of the
soffit.

This is the way it was vented before, which after 25 years rotted 3 feet of
2 X 6 fascia board :
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb...soffitvent.jpg

I don't know if that would be a problem with this particular vent, but
I would prefer venting through the roof if there was an option.

At least the moist air is being removed from the soffit to the exterior of
the house. Do you think thw soffit will rot?

Howie

Bruce

At least the moist air is being removed from the soffit to the exterior of
the house. Do you think thw soffit will rot?

Howie

I'm not sure. It looks like the fixture is big enough to keep the
moist air from directly hitting the soffit so it might not be a
problem.

Bruce
A&B Construction
Houston, TX