David Pye

Default Fitting a vent in soffit

Hi group,

I've got a 1989-built house, which has ventilated soffits, made of a white
board-like material, with small shiny crystalline bits visible in.

The vents are slots with mesh over, but I want to fit a round plastic grille
for a bathroom extractor fan. I've read some of the archives, which
mention cryolite asbestos cement soffit boards - were these still likely to
be fitted in 1989? Some people seem to think gypsum boards are hard to
distinguish from the asbestos ones.

I suppose what I'm asking is:

a) As they were put up in '89, are they likely to be asbestos cement ones?
If it's possible that they are, any way to confirm?

b) If it's asbestos, can I carefully drill a small hole, and go round it
with a saw blade, to make my cutout (~135mm) without too high a risk?

Cheers,

David
Mike

"David Pye" wrote in message
Hi group,

I've got a 1989-built house, which has ventilated soffits, made of a white
board-like material, with small shiny crystalline bits visible in.

The vents are slots with mesh over, but I want to fit a round plastic

grille
for a bathroom extractor fan. I've read some of the archives, which
mention cryolite asbestos cement soffit boards - were these still likely

be fitted in 1989? Some people seem to think gypsum boards are hard to
distinguish from the asbestos ones.

I suppose what I'm asking is:

a) As they were put up in '89, are they likely to be asbestos cement ones?

Unlikely. They would have been illegal for over five years at that point

Hi,

Mike wrote:
snip
a) As they were put up in '89, are they likely to be asbestos

cement ones?

Unlikely. They would have been illegal for over five years at that

point

That works for me. I shall cut my hole then

David

Bathroom Exhaust Vent - Soffit Mount? Howie Home Repair 5 August 17th 04 07:24 PM
bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit vent? Howie Home Repair 12 August 17th 04 03:01 PM
Venting bathroom exhaust fans into soffit kevins_news Home Repair 5 January 8th 04 09:06 PM
Old hot water tank fitting mike ring UK diy 0 August 18th 03 08:12 PM
Vent question Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 17th 03 12:52 AM