Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Septic tank - digging gardehn.

I put this on gardening but thought people here might know more.

I have a septic tank in the back garden ( its a large back garden. Its
currently covered with grass but the stretch where the tank is is long and
flatish ( slight slope to the right) and did have apple trees on it once nut
those died several years ago. I was wondering if it was OK to dig up this
section of land and put a garden in ? Would I be likely to disturb anything
important ( like drains) by digging round and down from the septic tank for
a garden bed about 100 ft long and 20 feet wide?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

endymion wrote:
I put this on gardening but thought people here might know more.

I have a septic tank in the back garden ( its a large back garden. Its
currently covered with grass but the stretch where the tank is is long
and flatish ( slight slope to the right) and did have apple trees on it
once nut those died several years ago. I was wondering if it was OK to
dig up this section of land and put a garden in ? Would I be likely to
disturb anything important ( like drains) by digging round and down from
the septic tank for a garden bed about 100 ft long and 20 feet wide?

I can't imagine this would cause a problem you should have 3-4 feet of
soil before you hit the main body of the tank.
Lift the manhole cover and you should be able to see how far the neck
goes down parallel before opening up into the various chambers.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

endymion wrote:
I put this on gardening but thought people here might know more.

I have a septic tank in the back garden ( its a large back garden. Its
currently covered with grass but the stretch where the tank is is long
and flatish ( slight slope to the right) and did have apple trees on it
once nut those died several years ago. I was wondering if it was OK to
dig up this section of land and put a garden in ? Would I be likely to
disturb anything important ( like drains) by digging round and down from
the septic tank for a garden bed about 100 ft long and 20 feet wide?

Well my tank had a pipe from the outflow down about 18 "..

A lot depends on the tank design. Some will hope to treat the sewage and
allow run off to go into a ditch. Thats frowned on these days as what
comes out of a normal (non aerated) tank is far from pong free or
bacteria free. Other designs used to be laid with I believe a
herringbone pattern of pipes to diffuse the mucky outflow into the soil.
These SHOULD be pretty deep.

All I can say is that the best thing I did was rip up the outflow pipe
and fill in my septic tank. And replace with a Biodisc. Less space, less
pong, and they let me dump the pong free outflow into a ditch.

Only problem is how fast the grass grows wher I filled it in. Loads of
nutrients!

As long as you are not using a digger to go deep, a garden should be
fine to dig however. Its unlikely you will smash any pipes with a spade.

Septic tank lid seal M Q Home Repair 15 January 30th 18 07:37 PM
No Septic Tank? Steve B Home Repair 29 June 19th 07 09:09 PM
what to do after pumping out septic tank Ether Jones Home Repair 18 March 30th 06 10:15 PM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM
Septic Tank smell Hank Home Repair 3 November 26th 05 04:44 AM