Old June 4th 07, 07:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair
M Q M Q is offline

Default Septic tank lid seal

I have a septic tank with round concrete lids at grade
level resting on a concrete riser.
As the concrete is a bit rough and uneven,
the lids do not seal very well.
Depending upon atmospheric and other conditions the
area is a bit malodorous.

How is a seal usually formed for such things?
Are there gaskets that are used? A ton of plumber's putty?
Something else?

Old June 4th 07, 08:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 4, 12:59 pm, M Q wrote:
I have a septic tank with round concrete lids at grade
level resting on a concrete riser.
As the concrete is a bit rough and uneven,
the lids do not seal very well.
Depending upon atmospheric and other conditions the
area is a bit malodorous.

How is a seal usually formed for such things?
Are there gaskets that are used? A ton of plumber's putty?
Something else?

Hopefully they're fabricated well enough to simply seat well enough on
their own. Most installations I've seen also have the tank set deeply
enough that the lids are below surface by at least a few inches and so
the ground prevents any air leakage.

If you can't cover them w/ ground (cover w/ plastic first to prevent
dirt entrance), I'd mix up a really thin paste of cement so it
wouldn't have much adhesion power and lay an inch around the lip and
the set the lid on it. Most any flexible material could be used in
the same manner.

Old June 4th 07, 08:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

--

Throw in a galon of bleach - it will stop most of the smell!

(just kidding, BTW)

Old June 4th 07, 08:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Put an appropriately sized bead of mortar mix around the top edge of the
tank. Cover it with heavy plastic. Set the lid on carefully. there, now
you have a surface that matches your lid, and it will still come off easily.

--
Steve Barker

news:[email protected]

Old June 4th 07, 08:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"M Q" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
I have a septic tank with round concrete lids at grade
level resting on a concrete riser.
As the concrete is a bit rough and uneven,
the lids do not seal very well.
Depending upon atmospheric and other conditions the
area is a bit malodorous.

How is a seal usually formed for such things?
Are there gaskets that are used? A ton of plumber's putty?
Something else?

A lot of them are out of whack, and will only fit in exactly one position.
Clean both surfaces and try rotating it until you get the best fit. Take a
crayon and mark it when you get a good fit. Do a couple of full turns to
make sure. You can make a lever to help you lift it, and if there's a rebar
lifter on the top, hang it from stout rope so you can twist it.

Oh yeah. Wear nose plugs, too.

Steve

Old June 4th 07, 09:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 1:59 pm, M Q wrote:

I have a septic tank with round concrete lids at grade
level resting on a concrete riser.
As the concrete is a bit rough and uneven,
the lids do not seal very well.
Depending upon atmospheric and other conditions the
area is a bit malodorous.

How is a seal usually formed for such things?
Are there gaskets that are used? A ton of plumber's putty?
Something else?- Hide quoted text -

Wouldn't all the sand just fall in before you replaced the lid? (Sand
in a tank is supposed to be bad BTW - sewage truck drivers don't like
because it can't be vacuumed up)

Old June 4th 07, 09:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 3:01 pm, dean wrote:

How about a little bit of sand? Remove lid, spread a handful of sand
around the top of the rim, replace lid.

Wouldn't all the sand just fall in before you replaced the lid? (Sand
in a tank is supposed to be bad BTW - sewage truck drivers don't like
because it can't be vacuumed up)

Just enough sand to fill in the surface irregularities. As the lid is
set in place a little bit might end up falling into the tank but I
can't imagine that would hurt anything.

It would take two people to lift the lid and gently set it down rather
than sliding it in place - which would dislodge all the sand.

Just a thought.

-rev

Old June 4th 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article [email protected],
M Q wrote:

I have a septic tank with round concrete lids at grade
level resting on a concrete riser.
As the concrete is a bit rough and uneven,
the lids do not seal very well.
Depending upon atmospheric and other conditions the
area is a bit malodorous.

How is a seal usually formed for such things?
Are there gaskets that are used? A ton of plumber's putty?
Something else?

Is a grade level septic cover standard? Mine's about 12" underground.
Old June 4th 07, 11:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Is a grade level septic cover standard? Mine's about 12" underground.

bet it wouldnt meet code today......