Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Powerful extractor fan.

Hello,

We have never had an extractor fan in our bathroom before, with our
old heating system the water never lasted long and cooled down very
fast so the bathroom hardly steamed up. Now with our new system the
bathroom steams up and we tend to enjoy showering much more than
before, I can easily recommend the Vaillant ecoTEC+ 937 boiler to
anyone who has no space for an unvented cylinder.

The bathroom steams up a lot and sometimes you get dizzy with all the
steam!

I want to get a powerful centrifugal extractor fan which can clear the
steam quickly.

It is a simple through the wall installation.

1.Are Vent-axia and Xpelair good brands?
2.Does it seem sensible to get a bigger extractor fan for reduced
noise?
3.Do you have any reccomendations?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 11:40, wrote:
[...]

Hi,

You don't need a centrifugal model if you're going straight out
through the wall. Centrifugal fans are the ones housed in quite a
chunky box. They develop more pressure, and they're used where air
needs to be forced through ducts and round bends before it gets out.
With your application you can use a much slimmer non-centrifugal
model.

We've got a vent-axia 6" silhouette fan. Ventaxia are a reliable make.
Ours works fine at clearing a big bathroom of steam. It's the
humidistat version, although I've given up using the humidistat
feature which never seemed to be set quite right and needed constant
tinkering. It's just wired to run on its timer whenever the light in
the shower cubicle is turned on, which seemsto work fine. I'd
definitely not recommend a 4" model - a lot of sound and fury
signifying nothing.

Cheers!

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath formulated on Saturday :
With your application you can use a much slimmer non-centrifugal
model.

Axial!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 11:56, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
laid this down on his screen : 1.Are Vent-axia and Xpelair good brands?

Supposedly -two of the better known brands.

2.Does it seem sensible to get a bigger extractor fan for reduced
noise?

That probably doesn't make sense, unless you find larger, with lower
speed.

Yes that's what I meant.

3.Do you have any reccomendations?

Get one with a PIR combined with humidity sensor and time delay. That
should make sure it runs when someone uses the bathroom and will
continue to run until the humidity is reduced to normal levels.

I don't know about the PIR sensor but I think a humidistat will be
good.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hello,

We have never had an extractor fan in our bathroom before, with our
old heating system the water never lasted long and cooled down very
fast so the bathroom hardly steamed up. Now with our new system the
bathroom steams up and we tend to enjoy showering much more than
before, I can easily recommend the Vaillant ecoTEC+ 937 boiler to
anyone who has no space for an unvented cylinder.

The bathroom steams up a lot and sometimes you get dizzy with all the
steam!

I want to get a powerful centrifugal extractor fan which can clear the
steam quickly.

It is a simple through the wall installation.

1.Are Vent-axia and Xpelair good brands?

yes

2.Does it seem sensible to get a bigger extractor fan for reduced
noise?

it does until you see the prices.

3.Do you have any reccomendations?

If you dont mind spending a couple of hundred on the fan, go for it.
If not, forget it. Small fans are cheap but pretty useless.

The other point is that once you've gone for a 12" fan you can buy a
dehumidifier for less, and that will dry a room out without chucking
any heat outside.

Final point: automated controls never do what you want, I'd stick with
manual. The only automation that's useful is a run-on timer, so that
when you put the fan on it'll switch itself off 20 mins after you've
left the room. The rest are nice ideas, but not really whats wanted.

And really finally... mount the thing on rubber bushes to cut the
noise right down.
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....oise_reduction

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 12:08, wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I like this fan:
http://www.vent-axia.com/products/do...va100range.asp

I don't know how many inches it is though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 20 Dec, 12:08, wrote:
wrote:

[...]

4", so very little performance. Would probably take half an hour plus
to clear a steamy room.

I've toyed with the idea of using desktop boxfans with thermal shutter
plus custom baffled enclosure and dropper. Fair bit of mucking about,
but would save near £200 per fan and be nearly silent.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:

I like this fan:
http://www.vent-axia.com/products/do...va100range.asp

I don't know how many inches it is though.

The 100 = 100mm diameter outlet (to slot into 110mm soil pipe if
necessary).

I've got the 150mm version in my garage, with solenoid operated shutter.
(I'm not sure if they do solenoid operated shutters anymore - seem to
have been replaced with thermal solenoids which are very slow to operate.)
I've also got the 100mm vent-axia Silloette (low profile with backdraft
shutter) with run-on timer in a bathroom. It works well, but isn't
particularly quiet.
I've got a new VA100LT on the shelf, in case one of my other 100mm
ones dies. It was £5 in Cash-Converters, which given how much a new
vent-axia costs, I couldn't pass over. The 150mm one also came from
there. They are very expensive from regular sources. The silloette
came from Screwfix when it was on a particularly good special offer.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 11:53, Martin Pentreath
wrote:
On 20 Dec, 11:40, wrote:

[...]

I think I'll just get what you've got.
How long does it take to clear the Bathroom of steam?

Sorry if my post appears to be duplicated, my posts don't seem to be
appearing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We've got a vent-axia 6" silhouette fan. Ventaxia are a reliable make.
Ours works fine at clearing a big bathroom of steam. It's the
humidistat version, although I've given up using the humidistat
feature which never seemed to be set quite right and needed constant
tinkering. It's just wired to run on its timer whenever the light in
the shower cubicle is turned on, which seemsto work fine. I'd
definitely not recommend a 4" model - a lot of sound and fury
signifying nothing.

I think I'll just get what you've got.
How long does it take to clear the Bathroom of steam?

When it's running our bathroom barely steams up, bit of misting round
the edge of the mirror which is gone within a few minutes of turning
off the shower. But it's a big room (about 15' x 8') and I don't think
our shower makes the amounts of steam you're describing!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
writes
I like this fan:
http://www.vent-axia.com/products/do...va100range.asp

I don't know how many inches it is though.

'kin hell

don't you have a rule with inches and mm on it

or

enough brain cells to type

"100mm in inches"

into google - which would yield

"100 millimeters = 3.93700787 inches"

or any of the other obvious ways of doing a conversion

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 11:40, wrote:
[...]

Well just to put in my pennyworth having read through the thread so
far.

You haven't given us the size of your bathroom so judging whether it
is a 4" or 6" is a bit difficult - remember that the 6" will be larger
on the wall and will cost more to install. The factor to consider is
the cubic volume of your bathroom and the air throughput of the
extractor. There is probably a recommended ideal rate, but I don't
know it.

I've tried probably most of the combinations and recommend humidistat
with a pull cord for a manual start. As a family we all got fed up
with the light connected ones as inevitably there were occasions when
you didn't want the light on - and then when bathing it would be on
and drone away irritatingly.

I tried a humidistat one and then you couldn't switch it on to clear
toilet air. I've never had any problems with humidistats and the
addition of the pull cord seems to solve all out requirements.

And just to add one more thing - I just buy them off Ebay; they work
perfectly with a long life and none of this fancy name overload on the
price.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
writes
wrote:
[...]

I used a 4 inch fan with a ceiling duct out through the roof in my old
bathroom refit (ok a pretty small bathroom). It worked fine.

Final point: automated controls never do what you want, I'd stick with
manual. The only automation that's useful is a run-on timer, so that
when you put the fan on it'll switch itself off 20 mins after you've
left the room. The rest are nice ideas, but not really whats wanted.

Expect in a toilet say with no window, where you always turn on the
light I dislike overun timers. They come on when you don't want them
too, and don't when you do (unless you remember to turn the light on in
the day time).

I used a cheap humidistat. It wasn't perfect, but was about 90% so. It
took a little tweaking to get it just right, but after that, it only
occasionally used to come on when not needed. Usually at night, when it
was very rainy. but there are more expensive stats that are supposed to
take account of the affect of the temp drop.

I wired this also with a manual pull switch so that on occasion when we
wanted it on when it hadn't come on (when the shower or bath hadn't be
used) we could do so
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French formulated on Sunday :
I wired this also with a manual pull switch so that on occasion when we
wanted it on when it hadn't come on (when the shower or bath hadn't be used)
we could do so

A built in PIR gets around that.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

2.Does it seem sensible to get a bigger extractor fan for reduced
noise?

it does until you see the prices.

3.Do you have any reccomendations?

If you dont mind spending a couple of hundred on the fan, go for it.
If not, forget it. Small fans are cheap but pretty useless.

Where do you get "a couple of hundred" from? A 12" diameter centrifugal
fan (1500 cu.m/h) costs around £50-60 including VAT.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
chris French formulated on Sunday :
I wired this also with a manual pull switch so that on occasion when
we wanted it on when it hadn't come on (when the shower or bath
hadn't be used) we could do so

A built in PIR gets around that.

I didn't want it to come on every time someone went in though
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Dec, 19:42, geoff wrote:
In message
,
writes

I like this fan:
http://www.vent-axia.com/products/do...va100range.asp

I don't know how many inches it is though.

'kin hell

don't you have a rule with inches and mm on it

or

enough brain cells to type

"100mm in inches"

into google - which would yield

"100 millimeters = 3.93700787 inches"

or any of the other obvious ways of doing a conversion

--
geoff

My brain cells are still under development, I am only an inquisitive
13 year old!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 00:07:56 +0000, chris French
wrote:

I used a cheap humidistat.snip

Was this a separate item or do you mean built in to the fan?
I have not found a cheap add-on unit.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I used a cheap humidistat.snip

Was this a separate item or do you mean built in to the fan?
I have not found a cheap add-on unit.

Geo

AFAIK it is built in to the fan.