Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Picture Frame .How To Hang It

I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Dec, 22:37, wrote:
I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas *how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes *http://img..photobucket.com/albums/v...t/IMG_9258.jpg

Hang 'em on a picture hook...tadaaa.

Probably no need to mention they're at different orientations so they
can be used whether the picture's portrait or landscape.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:46:21 -0800 (PST), Lino expert
wrote:

On 17 Dec, 22:37, wrote:
I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas *how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes *http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

Hang 'em on a picture hook...tadaaa.

Yeah,thats what I thought but they are tight to the board .That's why
I tried to prise it up slightly and that's when it came away from the
board .

Probably no need to mention they're at different orientations so they
can be used whether the picture's portrait or landscape.

I managed to work that one out ..lol

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

Hammer a small nail into the wall with virtually only the head sticking out.
Then hook the serrated bit over the head - using whichever notch gives the
best balance.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 23:14:17 -0000, "Roger Mills"

I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

Hammer a small nail into the wall with virtually only the head sticking out.
Then hook the serrated bit over the head - using whichever notch gives the
best balance.

Not now possible as it came off when I tried to prise it up as it's
tight to the board ...Stupid design if ever I saw one ....you couldn't
get a nail head under the serrated part it's so tight .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

I dispair of the idiots who design the fixing systems for things like this,
they have clearlynever hung anything on a wall before.

The idea is the serrations hook over the head of a countersunk screw and
give a small lateral movement. What you actually need is a small up/down
'adjustability' to ensure level, given the problem of getting two holes
perfectly horizontal on a wide variety of walls.

They should be proud of the frame by a few mm. Take them back & exchange
them for some that are.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:18:29 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

I dispair of the idiots who design the fixing systems for things like this,
they have clearlynever hung anything on a wall before.

I'd agree with that

The idea is the serrations hook over the head of a countersunk screw and
give a small lateral movement. What you actually need is a small up/down
'adjustability' to ensure level, given the problem of getting two holes
perfectly horizontal on a wide variety of walls.

Well on these seems to be no way of getting the serrations over
anything but I'll have another try

They should be proud of the frame by a few mm. Take them back & exchange
them for some that are.

Unfortunately I got them mailorder from Wilkinsons and returning them
for replacements when the likelihood is that they'd be the same is a
pain . I'll use picture hooks and find some way of hooking it to the
back of the frame but I'll e-mail Wilkinsons to suggest they have a
look at the fitting
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

IME, you need to price them away a little - however they should stay
fixed to the board. Yours sounds like it was not well enough fixed. (if
in doubt, place the frame face down on a flat surface, hold the base of
the fixing against the wood before bending the top out a bit - that
should save some load on its fixings).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

wrote in message
I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

I would suggest that the little black clip has been fitted back to front.
If it was flipped over there would be space for the head of the screw or
tack.

Baz.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Baz" wrote in message

wrote in message
I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

I would suggest that the little black clip has been fitted back to front.
If it was flipped over there would be space for the head of the screw or
tack.

Correct!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Mannix wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message

wrote in message
I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the
back there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one
horizontal but I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how
they should be used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held
to the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

I would suggest that the little black clip has been fitted back to
front. If it was flipped over there would be space for the head of
the screw or tack.

Correct!

But then the fixing pins (I think that's what they are) and the countersinks
are on the wrong side.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Reentrant" wrote in message
Bob Mannix wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message

wrote in message
I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the
back there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one
horizontal but I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how
they should be used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held
to the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

I would suggest that the little black clip has been fitted back to
front. If it was flipped over there would be space for the head of
the screw or tack.

Correct!

But then the fixing pins (I think that's what they are) and the
countersinks are on the wrong side.

Possibly but I have hung several pictures using these fixings, they allow
approximate positioning of the fixing by the manufacturer (for speed as you
have can choose the best notch for the nail to sit in when you hang. They
are quite standard. Whether these are poorly manufactured or what, I don't
know.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 18, 12:18*am, "The Medway Handyman"
[...]

But you only have *one* hole. Read what the OP said. The lateral
adjustment from choosing one of the serrations moves the centre of
gravity and allows you to hang it level.

They should be proud of the frame by a few mm. *

They are. The photo clearly shows the serrations are inset enough to
go over the head of a nail, but maybe they were fitted the wrong way
round. I've never had any problem with them.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 18, 8:56*am, "The Medway Handyman"
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:18:29 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

I dispair of the idiots who design the fixing systems for things
like this, they have clearly never hung anything on a wall before.

I'd agree with that

Hung a mirror last week. *From Arrggh-os, my favourites. *No fixings
included - saved me the trouble of binning them.

Two upside down 'keyhole' slots on the back with a rebate underneath, the
idea being that it dropped over two screw heads.

Convenietly spaced at 96.5cm apart, so at 48.25cm centres. Marked out,
drilled, plugged put in screws. *I then find out that the larger hole in the
keyhole won't allow the head of a No:8 or 4mm screw through - had to ease it
out with a drill bit.

Should have checked!

Why not space the holes at 96.0cm

How does that help?

In either case you need to measure to, say, at least 0.1cm precision.
If you can't measure 48.25 then nor can you measure 48.00. Just
measure to the nearest mm in either case and quit moaning.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 03:33:18 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

[...]

Re the photo. You might think a nail can go under the serrated bit but
trust me the fitting is flat to the board .That's why I prised it up
but it came away from the board .Since last night I have experimented
with the second frame and found that if I insert a thin screwdriver
under the serrated part while pressing down on the rest of the fitting
I can bend it up slightly to enable it to be hung on a long panel pin
or similar .BUT WTF don't they enclose instructions on what you need
to do
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe he should have used inches?
38 inches.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Dec 18, 8:56 am, "The Medway Handyman"
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:18:29 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

I dispair of the idiots who design the fixing systems for things
like this, they have clearly never hung anything on a wall before.
I'd agree with that

Hung a mirror last week. From Arrggh-os, my favourites. No fixings
included - saved me the trouble of binning them.

Two upside down 'keyhole' slots on the back with a rebate
underneath, the idea being that it dropped over two screw heads.

Convenietly spaced at 96.5cm apart, so at 48.25cm centres. Marked
out, drilled, plugged put in screws. I then find out that the larger
hole in the keyhole won't allow the head of a No:8 or 4mm screw
through - had to ease it out with a drill bit.

Should have checked!

Why not space the holes at 96.0cm

Easier to divide by two....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alang wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:37:18 +0000, wrote:

I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

The serrated bit is so you can hang the picture off one of them and
adjust for level. I never bother. Use a stapler to pin a bit of string
right across the back of the frame and hang that off the nail

Or even a couple of drawing pins
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Dec 18, 8:56 am, "The Medway Handyman"
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:18:29 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

I dispair of the idiots who design the fixing systems for things
like this, they have clearly never hung anything on a wall before.
I'd agree with that

Hung a mirror last week. From Arrggh-os, my favourites. No fixings
included - saved me the trouble of binning them.

Two upside down 'keyhole' slots on the back with a rebate
underneath, the idea being that it dropped over two screw heads.

Convenietly spaced at 96.5cm apart, so at 48.25cm centres. Marked
out, drilled, plugged put in screws. I then find out that the larger
hole in the keyhole won't allow the head of a No:8 or 4mm screw
through - had to ease it out with a drill bit.

Should have checked!

If you mean Arrggh-os should have checked, you would be correct.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:01:07 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Alang wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:37:18 +0000, wrote:

I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

The serrated bit is so you can hang the picture off one of them and
adjust for level. I never bother. Use a stapler to pin a bit of string
right across the back of the frame and hang that off the nail

Or even a couple of drawing pins

Depends on the weight of the frame.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Alang wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:37:18 +0000, wrote:

I got a couple of picture frames from Wilkinsons today and on the back
there are two things to hang them..one vertical and one horizontal but
I've never seen the like before .Anyone any ideas how they should be
used ..
Have a look at the pic. I tried to bend one up to get a wire or cord
under it and it just pinged away from the backboard .They are held to
the board by lugs behind the two round holes .

I guess I'll need to nail pins in or a couple of small eyes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t/IMG_9258.jpg

The serrated bit is so you can hang the picture off one of them and
adjust for level. I never bother. Use a stapler to pin a bit of string
right across the back of the frame and hang that off the nail

Or even a couple of drawing pins

Depends on the weight of the frame.

I glued the fitting back on with Araldite and hung the 2 pics on thin
nails but as someone else said these hangers have horiz adjustment but
there is no way of any vertical adjustment . I have found some
screw-in eyes on old wooden curtain rings that I found in a drawer so
I think I'll screw them in to the frames and run a piece of fly-line
backing across each and that should do to hang them on the nails .
Thx to all for your help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Means you won't be able to get the frame flat against the wall though

Picture Frame Dave Woodworking 3 September 25th 06 08:16 PM
Back for a 5x7 picture frame. Doug Miller Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 03:34 PM
Back for a 5x7 picture frame. Theo Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 02:48 AM
PICTURE FRAME J T Woodworking 0 January 11th 05 06:52 AM
picture frame gary livingstone Woodworking 7 October 9th 03 12:01 AM