Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Picture Frame

Hi all,

Looking to frame a large official document(17 x 37). I need to make a
custom frame for it. Don't have a great mind for design. does anybody
have any good ideas for this??? I have thought about using chair rail or
blank stock for this. what profiles would look good routing the blank
stock or what types of chair rail would work??? Maybe a shadowbox??? also
what would be the best wood to use??? any ideas at all please help!!!

Thanks
Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

It's hard for someone to give you advice on this without seeing doc, etc.
It is for me anyway. Here's a link in case you don't have it, for building
picture frames. Will help you gauge proportion. You probably are just
going to have to run some scrap thru a few router bits to see how it comes
out or go to a place that sells/makes picture frames and see if you can get
ideas there..

http://kombat.org/FrameMaking/index.html

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi all,

Looking to frame a large official document(17 x 37). I need to make a
custom frame for it. Don't have a great mind for design. does anybody
have any good ideas for this??? I have thought about using chair rail or
blank stock for this. what profiles would look good routing the blank
stock or what types of chair rail would work??? Maybe a shadowbox???

also
what would be the best wood to use??? any ideas at all please help!!!

Thanks
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
Hi all,

Looking to frame a large official document(17 x 37). I need to make a
custom frame for it. Don't have a great mind for design. does anybody
have any good ideas for this??? I have thought about using chair rail or
blank stock for this. what profiles would look good routing the blank
stock or what types of chair rail would work??? Maybe a shadowbox???

also
what would be the best wood to use??? any ideas at all please help!!!

Thanks
Dave

Check on Wood or American Woodworker's web sites. A few years ago one or the
other had a good write up on picture frames and how to do them .
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:

Looking to frame a large official document(17 x 37). I need to make a
custom frame for it. Don't have a great mind for design. does anybody
have any good ideas for this??? I have thought about using chair rail or
blank stock for this.

During a recent trip to the Mid-West (Iowa and Wisconsin) I had a
number of projects to work out and I got a lot of my supplies at
Menards. If one of these stores is in your area, they carry various
types of picture frame all ready molded and rabbeted in 6' lengths
that run about $11. All you'd have to do to it is mitre, glue and
finish it.

NOTE: The picture frame stock isn't in the same area that the lumber and
other wood is. You might need to ask someone where it is.

remove ".invalid".