Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A ring main question

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 20:33:27 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

laid this down on his screen :
I only met the wood channelling wit VIR once. It had to be re-wired pronto as
it was blowing fuses incessantly.

I have a vague memory of the wood channelling being called something
similar to 'cat and casing'.

Capping and casing...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Frank Erskine wrote :
Capping and casing...

Thanks, yes. So that's 'Cap and casing'

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Jim Michaels wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:49:15 +0000, Rod

Dave wrote:

Talking to my lunch time drinking companion, he mention that a fuse had
blown again and couldn't understand why.

It turns out that the house was built about 1958 and has only one fuse
for the sockets upstairs and downstairs. Was this common then and does
he have a ring or radial wiring?

There is a fuse for lights and another for the cooker.

Dave

A good approach to inadequate capacity wiring was to mark the curernt
consumption of the appliance in amps on each plug top. Then for the
end user its easy not to plug too much load in at once.

NT

Green acres is the place to be.
Farm living is the life for me.
Land spreading out, so far and wide.
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

For anyone too young to understand (at all), have a shufty here (though
it does not explain my comment):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058808/

The episode
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0592812/

The magic number was 7

Remove SPAMX from email address

Thank god - I thought I was mad. :-)

Funny how one single episode from all that time ago lodged in my brain -
and was there the moment I read NT's post. (I had searched IMDB but must
have not come up with the magic terms.)

--
Rod

onset.

Ring main...or not Ben UK diy 22 April 14th 07 05:36 PM
Radial-main, Ring-main or Spur? Dazzler UK diy 7 August 11th 05 04:26 PM
Ring Main help Denis UK diy 10 February 15th 05 10:08 PM
Question regarding adding an extra socket to the ring main Fiona Reid UK diy 10 September 3rd 03 04:45 PM
extending a ring main Paul Draper UK diy 7 July 4th 03 07:43 PM