Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default old chimneys

My chimney is a very old and wide.
I suspect that the brush I use may not be contacting the sides of the
chimney.Is this likely and can I get a wider one or use another
technique?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

meuharris wrote:
My chimney is a very old and wide.
I suspect that the brush I use may not be contacting the sides of the
chimney.Is this likely and can I get a wider one or use another
technique?

You want one of these. Give 'em a little boost up at the bottom and they
can manage the rest. ;-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/victori...index/bert.gif

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 Dec, 15:16, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
meuharris wrote:
My chimney is a very old *and wide.
I suspect that the brush I use may not be contacting the sides of the
chimney.Is this likely and can I get a wider one or use *another
technique?

You want one of these. *Give 'em a little boost up at the bottom and they
can manage the rest. ;-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/victori...index/bert.gif

Tim

do I still need to twist him clockwise in case he gets stuck up half
way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Tim Downie formulated :
meuharris wrote:
My chimney is a very old and wide.
I suspect that the brush I use may not be contacting the sides of the
chimney.Is this likely and can I get a wider one or use another
technique?

You want one of these. Give 'em a little boost up at the bottom and they can
manage the rest. ;-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/victori...index/bert.gif

You beat me to it :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

meuharris has brought this to us :
do I still need to twist him clockwise in case he gets stuck up half
way?

No, no - if they get stuck you just light a fire and the heat and smoke
will do the rest.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"meuharris" wrote in message
My chimney is a very old and wide.
I suspect that the brush I use may not be contacting the sides of the
chimney.Is this likely and can I get a wider one or use another
technique?

I believe they used to pull a hollybush branch through (letting a stone down
on a rope, attaching the holly branch and then pulling it up from the top).
That, or a small fir tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

meuharris wrote:
My chimney is a very old and wide.
I suspect that the brush I use may not be contacting the sides of the
chimney.Is this likely and can I get a wider one or use another
technique?

Are we hoping someone will be coming down it soon then?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message

"meuharris" wrote in message
My chimney is a very old and wide.
I suspect that the brush I use may not be contacting the sides of the
chimney.Is this likely and can I get a wider one or use another
technique?

I believe they used to pull a hollybush branch through (letting a stone
down on a rope, attaching the holly branch and then pulling it up from the
top). That, or a small fir tree.

'Tis a shame the scout movement stopped 'bob-a-job' week. Or you could hire
one of these
http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI...1558-02599.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
meuharris wrote:
My chimney is a very old and wide.
I suspect that the brush I use may not be contacting the sides of the
chimney.Is this likely and can I get a wider one or use another
technique?

Are we hoping someone will be coming down it soon then?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Hey, that's a good point, who would be daft enough to go up and down all
those unswept chimneys in a bright red suit and a white bushy beard???
Should hate to see the laundry bill on Boxing Day.
Another thing, how come he has exemption from all the new Elf and Safety
regs?
All sounds dodgy to me.
Wavey Dave

chimneys and flue liners Stephen[_2_] UK diy 20 November 5th 08 09:55 PM
safety ropes to chimneys? George \(dicegeorge\) UK diy 20 October 10th 08 09:08 PM
removing chimneys werd UK diy 8 December 16th 05 04:32 PM
Chimneys and GCI terminals Jeremy C B Nicoll UK diy 3 June 17th 05 06:08 AM