Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default safety ropes to chimneys?

How can i fix safety ropes to my chimneys?

At the moment I've got a car tow rope tied round one chimney,
but I want something more permanent and weatherproof
that I can clip ropes on to...

a metal chain?

Or a metal band around the chimneys?

There must be something on sale but what's it called?

There' s about 5 chimney stacks so I dont want something very expensive,
but I do want something safer than nylon ropes
which rub against the brick corners
and deteriorate in sunlight..
--

[george]

~ [g] ~

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) was thinking very hard :

There' s about 5 chimney stacks so I dont want something very expensive,
but I do want something safer than nylon ropes
which rub against the brick corners and deteriorate in sunlight..

A length of 6mm fine wire galvanised multi-strand wire would last for
many years. Go twice around and fit three proper clamps of the correct
size at the overlap.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
How can i fix safety ropes to my chimneys?

At the moment I've got a car tow rope tied round one chimney,
but I want something more permanent and weatherproof
that I can clip ropes on to...

a metal chain?

Or a metal band around the chimneys?

There must be something on sale but what's it called?

There' s about 5 chimney stacks so I dont want something very expensive,
but I do want something safer than nylon ropes
which rub against the brick corners and deteriorate in sunlight..
--

[george]

~ [g] ~

Silly question whats it for? harnessing you whilst fiddling on the roof?

2 aerial mast lashing kits and a steel pole all greased for weather
conditions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ther ya go one at the base of the stack and one in the middle,fix a short
steel pole between the two main brackts.

http://tinyurl.com/4rddok

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eye bolt masonry anchors are the correct solution, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31670/...olding-Eye-Kit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10152/...e-16-Pack-of-5

- and then a personal safety harness clipped on to it.

There is a specific type of anchor rated for this purpose, but I don't
see it on Screwfix.

Are you thinking of something for "fall arrest" that will take the
shock load of a person, or just something to add stability to ladders?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
How can i fix safety ropes to my chimneys?

What's a safety rope? What do you intend doing with it?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Eye bolt masonry anchors are the correct solution, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31670/...olding-Eye-Kit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10152/...e-16-Pack-of-5

- and then a personal safety harness clipped on to it.

There is a specific type of anchor rated for this purpose, but I don't
see it on Screwfix.

I don't know if it's what you meant but we fixed eye bolts to various pzrts
of the house wall so that we could fasten a ladder to ropes whilst working
on windows from the car port roof.

It works very well.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you thinking of something for "fall arrest" that will take the
shock load of a person, or just something to add stability to ladders?

yes, fall arrest,
(for when I'm fiddling around on the roof, slipped slates etc)
so the tv aerial kit is too light weight,
presumably these scaffold eyes go in the brick not the mortar,
but the bricks are a bit old and crumbly
which is why i thought of wrapping something around the chimney stack....

--

[george]

wrote in message
Eye bolt masonry anchors are the correct solution, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31670/...olding-Eye-Kit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10152/...e-16-Pack-of-5

- and then a personal safety harness clipped on to it.

There is a specific type of anchor rated for this purpose, but I don't
see it on Screwfix.

Are you thinking of something for "fall arrest" that will take the
shock load of a person, or just something to add stability to ladders?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Eye bolt masonry anchors are the correct solution, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31670/...olding-Eye-Kit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10152/...e-16-Pack-of-5

- and then a personal safety harness clipped on to it.

There is a specific type of anchor rated for this purpose, but I don't
see it on Screwfix.

Are you thinking of something for "fall arrest" that will take the
shock load of a person, or just something to add stability to ladders?

TV aerial kits too light? if anything your chimney stack will be less
insecure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Eye bolt masonry anchors are the correct solution, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31670/...olding-Eye-Kit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10152/...e-16-Pack-of-5

- and then a personal safety harness clipped on to it.

There is a specific type of anchor rated for this purpose, but I don't
see it on Screwfix.

Are you thinking of something for "fall arrest" that will take the
shock load of a person, or just something to add stability to ladders?

TV aerial kits too light? if anything your chimney stack will be less
insecure.

I would not wish to trust my life on a typical lashing kit. Eye bolts
are fine, if they are tested for soundness, but on a crumbling brick
scenario they might pull out or the mortar might be old and weak. I
think he has the right idea with something lashed around the chimney,
but something a bit stronger than an antenna lashing kit.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...

wrote in message
[...]

Tae a look at the itit has three corner retainers so the wire will not cut
into the brick...And I did say two of these lashing kits and a steel pole
clamped to the brackets...if anything is going to give its the chimney's
mortar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I would not wish to trust my life on a typical lashing kit.

I would not want to trust my life to a chimney. Most chimneys that I
have encountered have been much more fragile than the walls of the
structure that they are attached to.

If one is talking about a chimney made from engineering brick and a hard
mortar, possibly. But the average domestic chimney is only as strong as
it needs to be and not designed for restraining a fat arse falling from
the sky.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I would not wish to trust my life on a typical lashing kit.

I would not want to trust my life to a chimney. Most chimneys that I
have encountered have been much more fragile than the walls of the
structure that they are attached to.

If one is talking about a chimney made from engineering brick and a hard
mortar, possibly. But the average domestic chimney is only as strong as
it needs to be and not designed for restraining a fat arse falling from
the sky.

Fat arses can't get on roofs anyway. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , George
scribeth thus

wrote in message
Eye bolt masonry anchors are the correct solution, e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31670/...affolding-Eye-

Kit

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/10152/...ld-Anchor-Eye-

Type-M10-115mm-Drill-Size-16-Pack-of-5

- and then a personal safety harness clipped on to it.

There is a specific type of anchor rated for this purpose, but I don't
see it on Screwfix.

Are you thinking of something for "fall arrest" that will take the
shock load of a person, or just something to add stability to ladders?

TV aerial kits too light? if anything your chimney stack will be less
insecure.

And there are a LOT of chimneys held together by aerial lashing
wire;!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fat arses can't get on roofs anyway. :-)

oh yes I can.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George (dicegeorge)" wrote in message

Fat arses can't get on roofs anyway. :-)

oh yes I can.

[g]

A fat arse shouldn't be fiddling up on a roof...their reflexs are to slow to
pertain a safe balance should the need arise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Oct, 17:12, (Steve Firth) wrote:

I would not want to trust my life to a chimney.

Wuss. Rod Hull would do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

On 9 Oct, 17:12, (Steve Firth) wrote:

I would not want to trust my life to a chimney.

Wuss. Rod Hull would do it.

Yebbut he had Emu to rescue him if he fell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 9 Oct, 17:12, (Steve Firth) wrote:

I would not want to trust my life to a chimney.

Wuss. Rod Hull would do it.

So would quasimodo...at least he will have something to fall back on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nothing wrong with using something around a chimney as an extra - but
I'd regard it as temporary solution. Lifting slings with a load rating
might be appropriate, though I couldn't comment on their sock load
ratings.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...=sling&x=0&y=0

These are the bee knees if you can afford it.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/81823/...-Fall-Arrester

removing chimneys werd UK diy 8 December 16th 05 04:32 PM
Chimneys and GCI terminals Jeremy C B Nicoll UK diy 3 June 17th 05 06:08 AM
Safety of metal chimneys butch Home Ownership 3 April 4th 05 02:27 AM