Jeremy C B Nicoll

Default Chimneys and GCI terminals

I asked a local roofing company if it might be worthwhile for me to
block or cap one of my chimney pots, as there's currently no fire at
the bottom of the chimney. I thought this might be a good idea to
prevent water & garbage falling into the chimney, and might also reduce
noise when it's very windy - is this likely to help?

They quoted for fitting "one chimney pot and 4 GCI gas terminals to the
rear chimney stalk". I'm not entirely sure what a "stalk" is in this
context, and as far as I know the only outlet from that chimney already
has a pot on it. Can anyone guess why 4 GCI terminals would be
required rather than just one - assuming that these are basically just
metal hats/covers?

What do the letters GCI stand for? I tried googling but got zillions
of hits for GCI...

BigWallop

"Jeremy C B Nicoll" wrote in message
I asked a local roofing company if it might be worthwhile for me to
block or cap one of my chimney pots, as there's currently no fire at
the bottom of the chimney. I thought this might be a good idea to
prevent water & garbage falling into the chimney, and might also reduce
noise when it's very windy - is this likely to help?

They quoted for fitting "one chimney pot and 4 GCI gas terminals to the
rear chimney stalk". I'm not entirely sure what a "stalk" is in this
context, and as far as I know the only outlet from that chimney already
has a pot on it. Can anyone guess why 4 GCI terminals would be
required rather than just one - assuming that these are basically just
metal hats/covers?

What do the letters GCI stand for? I tried googling but got zillions
of hits for GCI...

It probably means "Grab Cash Immediately". :-) If you feel up to doing the
job yourself, then have a look through this site:
http://www.hotline-chimneys.co.uk/co...dant_flues.htm and choose the
things you need. Now you can go to your local builders merchant with
correct names and ask for one to suit your job.

Good luck with it.

Mike

"Jeremy C B Nicoll" wrote in message
I asked a local roofing company if it might be worthwhile for me to
block or cap one of my chimney pots, as there's currently no fire at
the bottom of the chimney. I thought this might be a good idea to
prevent water & garbage falling into the chimney, and might also reduce
noise when it's very windy - is this likely to help?

Definitely - get one of these to suit your chimney - about £25

http://www.fluesystems.com/cowls/index_disused.htm

rrh

They quoted for fitting "one chimney pot and 4 GCI gas terminals to the
rear chimney stalk". I'm not entirely sure what a "stalk" is in this
context, and as far as I know the only outlet from that chimney already
has a pot on it.

Remember the literacy level of builders. This probably means "chimney
stack".