Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any views on akes if reciprocating saw?

Folks

I am looking for a decent corded recip saw costing less than £150, and have narrowed it down to Bosch, Hitachi and DeWalt.

Bosch seems to offer more gadgets (360 degree adjustable blade etc) while the others have slightly bigger motors (1000w
as opposed to 900w).

Any views on the quality or reliability of these makes?

TIA - Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 7:27*am, Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks

I am looking for a decent corded recip saw costing less than £150, and have narrowed it down to Bosch, Hitachi and DeWalt.

Bosch seems to offer more gadgets (360 degree adjustable blade etc) while the others have slightly bigger motors (1000w
as opposed to 900w).

Any views on the quality or reliability of these makes?

TIA - Adam

I would check out sites that review alot of them, there are a few. If
I was looking I would want a Lazer. I dont know if you ger Ridgid over
there in that old country but they have a lifetime warranty, here they
are sold at Home Depot
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Lipscombe wrote:
I am looking for a decent corded recip saw costing less than £150, and
have narrowed it down to Bosch, Hitachi and DeWalt.

Bosch seems to offer more gadgets (360 degree adjustable blade etc)
while the others have slightly bigger motors (1000w as opposed to 900w).

Any views on the quality or reliability of these makes?

What sort of reciprocating saw? There are ones with long blades (like the
ill fated B&D Scorpian - at least in earlier versions) and ones with short
blades. Then there are twin blade types where the cutters go in opposite
directions. What use do you intend it for?

--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its the standard sort like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...iprocating+saw

I looked at the twin blade types like the tyrannosaw but the problem with these is that generic blades are not
available, and the manufactures blades are pretty expensive.

Its for cutting up scrap wood for wood burners and the wood can be full of fasteners - knackering blades is quite possible.

Cheers - Adam

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adam Lipscombe wrote:
I am looking for a decent corded recip saw costing less than £150, and
have narrowed it down to Bosch, Hitachi and DeWalt.

Bosch seems to offer more gadgets (360 degree adjustable blade etc)
while the others have slightly bigger motors (1000w as opposed to 900w).

Any views on the quality or reliability of these makes?

What sort of reciprocating saw? There are ones with long blades (like the
ill fated B&D Scorpian - at least in earlier versions) and ones with short
blades. Then there are twin blade types where the cutters go in opposite
directions. What use do you intend it for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Its the standard sort like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...iprocating+saw

I looked at the twin blade types like the tyrannosaw but the problem with
these is that generic blades are not available, and the manufactures
blades are pretty expensive.

Its for cutting up scrap wood for wood burners and the wood can be full of
fasteners - knackering blades is quite possible.

Cheers - Adam

You'd be there for an eternity cutting up lumber for wood burning stove with
an recip saw I'd op for a decent chop saw at least it will be faster and far
easier to cut the wood up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Its the standard sort like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...iprocating+saw

Right.

I looked at the twin blade types like the tyrannosaw but the problem
with these is that generic blades are not available, and the
manufactures blades are pretty expensive.

Its for cutting up scrap wood for wood burners and the wood can be full
of fasteners - knackering blades is quite possible.

Is it pretty small cross section wood? Those saws wouldn't really work
with the average log.
I got a Makita one which was on offer at Screwfix early in the year.
It's ok for the things it's good at - but IMHO slow for rough cutting. I'm
sure others who do this sort of thing might have thoughts.

--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/65166/...se-Blade-255mm

combine this blade with a hitachi chop saw

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hitachi-C10FCB...1%7C240%3A1318

total cost around £170.00 but you could do cheaper by buying used saw
always available on ebay

have used the above hitachi chop saw now for some 8 years and it is still
going strong,havecut aluminium no problem ,havealso used the aboce bladesin
my hitachi circular saw with good effect
I agree a recip would be hard work,i have a hitachi 24volt one and it does
ok within limits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

I am looking for a decent corded recip saw costing less than £150, and
have narrowed it down to Bosch, Hitachi and DeWalt.

Bosch seems to offer more gadgets (360 degree adjustable blade etc)
while the others have slightly bigger motors (1000w as opposed to 900w).

Any views on the quality or reliability of these makes?

They are all pretty good IME. You need one with tool less blade change,
and ideally a pendulum/orbital action if you want fast cutting. These
may be out of your price range though.

http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/pr...ating-saw.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Its the standard sort like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...iprocating+saw

I looked at the twin blade types like the tyrannosaw but the problem with
these is that generic blades are not available, and the manufactures
blades are pretty expensive.

Its for cutting up scrap wood for wood burners and the wood can be full
of fasteners - knackering blades is quite possible.

Cheers - Adam

You'd be there for an eternity cutting up lumber for wood burning stove
with an recip saw I'd op for a decent chop saw at least it will be faster
and far easier to cut the wood up.

I was felling conifers with a cheap £15 sabre saw.. it takes about 20
seconds to cut through a 4-5 inch trunk.
Not much slower than a bow saw and a lot less effort.

I did use a sliding miter saw to cut up the logs later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

I was felling conifers with a cheap £15 sabre saw.. it takes about 20
seconds to cut through a 4-5 inch trunk.
Not much slower than a bow saw and a lot less effort.

I'd go along with that. I've got an el cheapo SF Titan reciprocating saw &
use el cheapo Aldi blades.

Easier to get into some spaces than a bow saw as well.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Views on Potterton Suprema and Megaflow? Dave UK diy 20 November 14th 05 07:36 PM
Plasplugs tile cutters - any views? keng UK diy 19 December 23rd 04 09:24 PM
Any views on B&Q kitchens? Dave UK diy 37 November 24th 04 03:25 PM
Views on Solid Walls? Aiden UK diy 15 May 26th 04 02:29 PM
Estate Sales, You Views Morgans Woodworking 12 November 4th 03 08:06 PM