Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage Heating advice please.

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 10:30:40 +0000, Jonathon wrote:

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

I don't think you can at this time of the year especially if it has a
garage door.

If you want to work in there at one spot an infra red heater that
shines directly onto *you* is a possibility.

Derek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek Geldard wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 10:30:40 +0000, Jonathon wrote:

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

I don't think you can at this time of the year especially if it has a
garage door.

If you want to work in there at one spot an infra red heater that
shines directly onto *you* is a possibility.

Derek

all depends what temperature he needs to keep it at he might just need
frost protection, it would help if the OP stated what he keeps or does
in the garage and what temp he needs

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

stop the draughts - a blanket at the door gap?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Jonathon wrote:
What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

From a combination of personal experience and TV (Silent Witness,
etc.), morgues really are not that cold these days. :-)

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

(I once swapped the engine in a Mini, outdoors, in the blowing snow. Never
again.)

--
* *

Totally OT as far as the topic of this thread is concerned
(apologies!!) but I once installed three Veluxes - the first (the
'learning one') in hard frost, the second in falling snow and the
third as the snow thawed with rain !!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jonathon saying
something like:

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

Cheapest? Set fire to the garage.

Realistically: Switch on a fan heater an hour before you go out and
arrange some infra-red spotlamps to shine on areas you work in, like the
benchtop, toolbox and underbonnet, etc.

Much cheaper, if you plan on doing regular cold work in there, is to
build a space heater and flue it out, burning old logs, scrap wood, etc,
in an oil drum.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 6, 4:30*am, Jonathon wrote:
What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air *in *a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

The whole garage or a work area, Radiant propane or electric only
heats objects not air so if its a work area get Radiant, if the whole
area it will be expensive in an area not insulated. Cheapest whole
area is unvented gas but moisture from gas rusts metal and I wouldnt
trust the built in Oxygen sensor. Cheapest is a bottle of booze,
better clothes, and or wood burner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jonathon" wrote in message
What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

A few of those tube-like greenhouse heaters would be OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 10:51:57 +0000, Kevin
wrote:

Derek Geldard wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 10:30:40 +0000, Jonathon wrote:

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

I don't think you can at this time of the year especially if it has a
garage door.

If you want to work in there at one spot an infra red heater that
shines directly onto *you* is a possibility.

Derek

all depends what temperature he needs to keep it at he might just need
frost protection, it would help if the OP stated what he keeps or does
in the garage and what temp he needs

Pottering, minor DIY, hiding from the Missus, just the usual.
It really is "just to take a chill off the air."
Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 11:00:05 -0000, "George \(dicegeorge\)"
wrote:

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

stop the draughts - a blanket at the door gap?

Tried draughtprevention, makes little difference.
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-12-06, George (dicegeorge) wrote:

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

stop the draughts - a blanket at the door gap?

I'd be inclined to arrange some old blankets (get them from a charity shop if
you don't have any) as a "curtain" over the door. Make sure there are no
draughts from the window (tape plastic over it, if necessary) and consider
getting one of those heaters that runs on sump oil ...

(I once swapped the engine in a Mini, outdoors, in the blowing snow. Never
again.)

==================================
I've tried blankets and door seals without success.
Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 11:52:02 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Jonathon wrote:
What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

From a combination of personal experience and TV (Silent Witness,
etc.), morgues really are not that cold these days. :-)

I'm beginning to feel poorly! Perhaps I should stay out of the garage?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathon wrote:

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

A log burner made from an old gas bottle. There are several folk selling
them and they cost between £50 and £100 depending on how large they are
and who did the conversion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathon wrote:
What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

I plasterboard partitioned a workshop area off (doing mainly electronics
construction stuff & DIY - no car maintenance), made a false ceiling
with storage above and stuffed rockwool & kingspan installation in both.
I built an similary insulated sliding door between this and the rest of
the garage. Put some carpet down, and a small 2KW electric heater, and
it takes about 10 minutes to be comfortable in the cold weather that's
out there at the moment.

In the summer due to the insulation it's also a cool room to hide in.

My next door car mechanic has a propane space burner that makes a racket
and must be costing him a fortune...

Working with cold heavy metal tools is not pleasant. I feel I could do
with wrapping then in an electric blanket for a few minutes before use.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Derek Geldard wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 10:30:40 +0000, Jonathon wrote:

What is the most economical (cheapest) method of keeping the chill off
the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine is like a morgue!
Advice will be very much appreciated.

I don't think you can at this time of the year especially if it has a
garage door.

If you want to work in there at one spot an infra red heater that
shines directly onto *you* is a possibility.

Derek

all depends what temperature he needs to keep it at he might just need
frost protection, it would help if the OP stated what he keeps or does
in the garage and what temp he needs

Pottering, minor DIY, hiding from the Missus, just the usual.
It really is "just to take a chill off the air."
Jon

I would go for a radiant heat type of heater, forget heating the garage
just heating you should work

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 6, 2:22*pm, Jonathon wrote:
Get an insulated boiler suit. I have one bought for North American
winters and it really does keep you warm with just a T-shirt and
shorts on.

Has anyone tried the various electric heating gadgets that Maplins are
selling? (gloves, socks, waistcoat etc)

Dave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 15:19:20 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

Jonathon wrote:

keeping the chill off the air in a brieze-block built garage? Mine
is like a morgue!

I plasterboard partitioned a workshop area off (doing mainly electronics
construction stuff & DIY - no car maintenance), made a false ceiling
with storage above and stuffed rockwool & kingspan installation in both.
I built an similary insulated sliding door between this and the rest of
the garage. Put some carpet down, and a small 2KW electric heater, and
it takes about 10 minutes to be comfortable in the cold weather that's
out there at the moment.

In the summer due to the insulation it's also a cool room to hide in.

Many thanks. Sounds as though this may be
just the job. Simple and - from what you say - effective.

Have a Nice Christmas.

Jon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Derek Geldard wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated, though
I should lt you know that Adrian's answer is probably
the course I will follow.

Have a nice Christmas.

John