Doug Platz

Default Garage Floor Heating / GHP

I'm planning on building a home in the not too distant future and would like
to heat the attached garage. I'm also planning on going with a geothermal
heat pump to cut back on utility costs. One of the selling points of the
heat pumps is "free" hot water. My question is this: Would a GHP of the size
needed to heat/cool the house produce enough extra hot water to keep a 2 car
garage floor heated in the winter via piping runs in the cement, or would I
have to upsize the GHP unit to handle both chores?
Thanks for any input!

Greg O

"Doug Platz" wrote in message
I'm planning on building a home in the not too distant future and would
like
to heat the attached garage. I'm also planning on going with a geothermal
heat pump to cut back on utility costs. One of the selling points of the
heat pumps is "free" hot water. My question is this: Would a GHP of the
size
needed to heat/cool the house produce enough extra hot water to keep a 2
car
garage floor heated in the winter via piping runs in the cement, or would
have to upsize the GHP unit to handle both chores?
Thanks for any input!

You get "free" hot water in the cooling months, not during the heating
months!
You will need to size the equipment according to the cooling/heating load,
so if you want to heat the garage you will need a larger, or a second heat
pump.
Greg

m Ransley

You need a qualifed person to do a load calculation, slab on grade
garage will be alot of extra heat needed. I had a basement floor put in
and used foamboard under the concrete for insulation , it is common for
radiant, I dont know how well it would work in a garage but you will be
transfering in alot of cold from the ground, loosing alot of heat.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Platz" wrote in message
My question is this: Would a GHP of the size
needed to heat/cool the house produce enough extra hot water to keep a 2
car
garage floor heated in the winter via piping runs in the cement, or would
have to upsize the GHP unit to handle both chores?
Thanks for any input!

Of course you have to upsize if the original pump is designed just for the
house. Look at insulating the floor or you will have to upgrade quite a
bit.