Greg O

"Doug Platz" wrote in message
I'm planning on building a home in the not too distant future and would
like
to heat the attached garage. I'm also planning on going with a geothermal
heat pump to cut back on utility costs. One of the selling points of the
heat pumps is "free" hot water. My question is this: Would a GHP of the
size
needed to heat/cool the house produce enough extra hot water to keep a 2
car
garage floor heated in the winter via piping runs in the cement, or would
have to upsize the GHP unit to handle both chores?
Thanks for any input!

You get "free" hot water in the cooling months, not during the heating
months!
You will need to size the equipment according to the cooling/heating load,
so if you want to heat the garage you will need a larger, or a second heat
pump.
Greg