Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filters on CH Primary?

Having just replaced a blocked DHW HX, any views on the relative merits of
the Sentinel

http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en...s/systemfilter

and the Magnaclean (both stocked by BES).

The Magnaclean has built in isolation valves for cleaning; is the Sentinel a
cyclone type device which you flush periodically from the bottom of the
cone?

The Sentinel looks a bit more suited to my layout.

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
Having just replaced a blocked DHW HX, any views on the relative merits of
the Sentinel

http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en...s/systemfilter

and the Magnaclean (both stocked by BES).

The Magnaclean has built in isolation valves for cleaning; is the Sentinel
cyclone type device which you flush periodically from the bottom of the
cone?

The Sentinel looks a bit more suited to my layout.

TIA

If I had a ferrous system ... I would fit the Magnackean .. impressed when I
saw the demo unit at local BSS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

"newshound" wrote in message
Having just replaced a blocked DHW HX, any views on the relative
merits of
the Sentinel

http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en...s/systemfilter

and the Magnaclean (both stocked by BES).

The Magnaclean has built in isolation valves for cleaning; is the
Sentinel a
cyclone type device which you flush periodically from the bottom of the
cone?

The Sentinel looks a bit more suited to my layout.

TIA

If I had a ferrous system ... I would fit the Magnackean .. impressed
when I saw the demo unit at local BSS

I would have thought a cyclonic filter would be better since it can trap
all the particulates, not just the ferrous ones...

(obviously better to prevent it corroding in the first place if you can!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
If I had a ferrous system ... I would fit the Magnackean .. impressed
when I saw the demo unit at local BSS

I would have thought a cyclonic filter would be better since it can trap
all the particulates, not just the ferrous ones...

(obviously better to prevent it corroding in the first place if you can!)

Indeed. Why spend all that time and money when chems can stop the problem
in the first place?

--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
If I had a ferrous system ... I would fit the Magnackean .. impressed
when I saw the demo unit at local BSS

I would have thought a cyclonic filter would be better since it can trap
all the particulates, not just the ferrous ones...

(obviously better to prevent it corroding in the first place if you can!)

Indeed. Why spend all that time and money when chems can stop the problem
in the first place?

The pragmatic answer is probably twofold; one when you inherit a system
where preventative care was not taken, and secondly there may be some
contaminants that will be unaffected by inhibitor etc and missed with
the initial flushing during installation.

(having said that, I put a strainer on the return when I did my last
boiler - in the following two years it collected one small particle of
grit in total, and that was on old pipework and rads of indeterminate
age/condition)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Indeed. Why spend all that time and money when chems can stop the
problem in the first place?

The pragmatic answer is probably twofold; one when you inherit a system
where preventative care was not taken,

Proper cleaning then more chems is the answer there too.

and secondly there may be some
contaminants that will be unaffected by inhibitor etc and missed with
the initial flushing during installation.

Such as?

(having said that, I put a strainer on the return when I did my last
boiler - in the following two years it collected one small particle of
grit in total, and that was on old pipework and rads of indeterminate
age/condition)

Indeed.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the comments. I've got inhibitor in it, it's a bit of a
complicated system and I don't fancy doing a proper flush at the moment, I
thought perhaps a filter would help to sweep up the debris. It isn't
generating gas so I'm assuming it isn't corroding badly. I guess I would
squirt another dose of inhibitor in while it is "open".

Filters for CH primary newshound UK diy 0 November 28th 08 11:42 PM
Primary vent NickNoxx UK diy 0 January 15th 08 11:27 AM
Seeking Opinions on air return filters and air vent filters No Way Home Repair 19 June 11th 07 06:52 PM
Air Filters - Questions re the ones for the HVAC and seperate plug-in type air filters. Ron Cliborn Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 05:37 PM
Primary or System? Paul UK diy 2 September 1st 05 11:42 PM