Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS channelling chisel - one crank or two?

I have bought an SDS+ channelling chisel, the sort with a square shaped
scoop at the cutting end, for making channels in a softish breeze/clinker
block wall.

The catalogue picture shows two cranks in the stem, in opposite directions,
so I can understand that downward blows from the drill will produce a
similar downward motion at the cutting edge.

But I have been supplied with an item that has just one crank, of about
forty degrees, in the stem. So the motion at the cutting edge would seem to
be as much sideways as downwards, and it is that bit more difficult to
imagine the results obtainable.

Do these one-crank items work all right, or should I try to exchange it for
a two-crank item? I have not used these tools before, so if somebody with
some experience could tell me what they think, I should be most grateful.

Regards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anode wrote:
I have bought an SDS+ channelling chisel, the sort with a square shaped
scoop at the cutting end, for making channels in a softish breeze/clinker
block wall.

The catalogue picture shows two cranks in the stem, in opposite directions,
so I can understand that downward blows from the drill will produce a
similar downward motion at the cutting edge.

But I have been supplied with an item that has just one crank, of about
forty degrees, in the stem. So the motion at the cutting edge would seem to
be as much sideways as downwards, and it is that bit more difficult to
imagine the results obtainable.

Do these one-crank items work all right, or should I try to exchange it for
a two-crank item? I have not used these tools before, so if somebody with
some experience could tell me what they think, I should be most grateful.

The Armeg one I have is one crank, and seems to work fine in the cases
where it works! (they are good for certain types of work - with older
plasters they can pry off too much surrounding skim coat for my liking)

The two crank one probably does not put the drill at such a comfortable
angle - even if it is technically better from the point of view of force
application.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
Anode wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for your welcome response. The one-crank item that I have is
also Armeg, so it is likely to be very similar to the one you have
experience with. In the light of what you say, I shall go ahead and have a
go with this. For short-ish distances, I have frequently cut through the
skim coat of plaster with a Stanley knife, which keeps things under control
a bit, though this was before I had a channelling chisel.

Best wishes,

Anode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 16:28:00 -0000, Anode wrote:

Do these one-crank items work all right, or should I try to exchange it
for a two-crank item?

I have a single crank 30(ish)mm one and it works fine channeling plaster
or breeze block.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 16:28:00 -0000, Anode wrote:

Do these one-crank items work all right, or should I try to exchange it
for a two-crank item?

I have a single crank 30(ish)mm one and it works fine channeling plaster
or breeze block.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Thank you for that information, Dave. It gives me confidence to go ahead and
have a go with the single crank item I have.

Regards,

Anode.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 23:50:17 -0000, Anode wrote:

It gives me confidence to go ahead and have a go with the single crank
item I have.

Still worth scoring the skim coat just in case.

--
Cheers
Dave.