Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrics - channelling out walls

Hi,

just setting about cutting some channels in the walls to re-route the wiring
in the kitchen (closed off one door, opened up another).

The walls have been stripped back to bare brick/block and will be rendered
then plastered.

Now this is lighting, with a shallow (15mm?) wall box.

I have been told to allow about 25mm for render then plaster.

If this is correct, do I have to cut channels in the walls (also moving some
13 Amp sockets) or is it O.K. to clip the cable to the walls as the render
then plaster will presumably cover everything?

TIA

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--

Clipping the cable to the render is fine although you still have to cover it
with the appropriate capping(trunking is better) and apply as thick as you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 13:58:12 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
mused:

Hi,

just setting about cutting some channels in the walls to re-route the wiring
in the kitchen (closed off one door, opened up another).

The walls have been stripped back to bare brick/block and will be rendered
then plastered.

No chasing required then.

Now this is lighting, with a shallow (15mm?) wall box.

I have been told to allow about 25mm for render then plaster.

Yep, about right.

If this is correct, do I have to cut channels in the walls (also moving some
13 Amp sockets) or is it O.K. to clip the cable to the walls as the render
then plaster will presumably cover everything?

Yep.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks.

Now considering the 25mm boxes.

In theory these should be flush with the plaster and not need sinking in,
but I think that they should be a few mm lower than the estimated plaster
level to allow for local variation - better an extra few mm deep than a few
mm proud!

My workload is decreasing by the minute!

I feel a weekend Screwfix visit coming on.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

Thanks.

Now considering the 25mm boxes.

In theory these should be flush with the plaster and not need sinking in,
but I think that they should be a few mm lower than the estimated plaster
level to allow for local variation - better an extra few mm deep than a

few
mm proud!

My workload is decreasing by the minute!

I feel a weekend Screwfix visit coming on.

Cheers

Dave R

The socket boxes have to be sunk into the brickwork the deepness of the
switch boxes thus allowing the plaster to come flush with the rim of the
box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 15:33:51 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
mused:

"Lurch" wrote in message
news
[...]

I generally use 25mm boxes on new builds\installs.

In theory these should be flush with the plaster and not need sinking in,
but I think that they should be a few mm lower than the estimated plaster
level to allow for local variation - better an extra few mm deep than a few
mm proud!

Yeah, always safest. If I was to sink them I'd stick them in half way
ish.

My workload is decreasing by the minute!

I feel a weekend Screwfix visit coming on.

I did one of those Yesterday. Some new saw horse thingies, save
perching worktops on bits of wood and cardboard to do the cuts for the
joins. Slightly safer as well, feel a little more in control of the
router at a normal height.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Lurch" wrote in message
news
[...]

A few mm lower than the plaster is much better. If you are considering those
low profile chrome sockets (or SWMBO is) you will be hard pushed to get them
to fit a 25mm backbox that is level with the plaster. I often fit 35mm back
boxes where these sockets are needed.

Adam