Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Clear plastic channelling for shelf labels

I want to attach labels to my book shelves, e.g. "History",
"Computing", "Cooking" etc. But I don't want to use any form of sticky
label.

What would be ideal is transparent plastic channelling that "snaps"
over the shelf. These IKEA Billy shelves are 18mm thick. I could cut
the channelling to size, using ordinary scissors.

Then I can easily move the labels as and when the contents of the
shelves change. The labels themselves I could just print off on my
laser printer.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or has alternative suggestions?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
I want to attach labels to my book shelves, e.g. "History",
"Computing", "Cooking" etc. But I don't want to use any form of sticky
label.

What would be ideal is transparent plastic channelling that "snaps"
over the shelf. These IKEA Billy shelves are 18mm thick. I could cut
the channelling to size, using ordinary scissors.

Then I can easily move the labels as and when the contents of the
shelves change. The labels themselves I could just print off on my
laser printer.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or has alternative suggestions?

http://www.shelvingdirect.co.uk/Shop...asp?Category=2

Try these guys - I used them last week - I was impressed with proce and
service.

Jon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

I want to attach labels to my book shelves, e.g. "History",
"Computing", "Cooking" etc. But I don't want to use any form of sticky
label.

What would be ideal is transparent plastic channelling that "snaps"
over the shelf. These IKEA Billy shelves are 18mm thick. I could cut
the channelling to size, using ordinary scissors.

Then I can easily move the labels as and when the contents of the
shelves change. The labels themselves I could just print off on my
laser printer.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or has alternative suggestions?

MM

Will whiteboard pens wipe off melamine? They certainly wipe off packing
tape and its white equivalent no problem.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:51:21 +0000, MM wrote:

I want to attach labels to my book shelves, e.g. "History", "Computing",
"Cooking" etc. But I don't want to use any form of sticky label.

What would be ideal is transparent plastic channelling that "snaps" over
the shelf. These IKEA Billy shelves are 18mm thick. I could cut the
channelling to size, using ordinary scissors.

Then I can easily move the labels as and when the contents of the
shelves change. The labels themselves I could just print off on my laser
printer.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or has alternative suggestions?

MM

================================
An alternative to labelling the shelves is to make up dummy books (use
strong white card) to indicate the start of each section. Self adhesive
labels (to go on the spines of the dummy books) are readily available.

They look quite elegant when they're well made.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:12:28 +0000, Owain
wrote:

MM wrote:
I want to attach labels to my book shelves, e.g. "History",
"Computing", "Cooking" etc. But I don't want to use any form of sticky
label.
What would be ideal is transparent plastic channelling that "snaps"
over the shelf. These IKEA Billy shelves are 18mm thick. I could cut
the channelling to size, using ordinary scissors.
Then I can easily move the labels as and when the contents of the
shelves change. The labels themselves I could just print off on my
laser printer.
Has anyone seen anything like this, or has alternative suggestions?

A cheap source (although unlikely to be clear) might be jumbo-sized
slide binders.

Yes, I immediately thought of them, but could find only opaque
coloured ones.

Failing that, a library supplier like Don Gresswell might have something.

I've tried googling for shelving, bookshelves, etc. So far, nothing
has appeared, yet I'm sure there *must* be something I can use, or
modify for use. Going to pop along to B&Q today. Might be able to find
something there.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:05:03 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

[...]

Now THAT is an amazingly brilliant suggestion! This changes the whole
approach, doesn't it? I'm often gobsmacked with what people come up
with, thanks! And the idea is even better, as each section would, kind
of, "self-label" itself as and when the section moves due to books
being added or removed.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 08:07:17 +0000, MM wrote:

[...]

===============================
I'm pleased you like my suggestion, but........

I don't claim any originality for the idea as such dummy books have been
in use for many years with considerable success.

The idea of sections expanding and contracting as books are added /
removed isn't mine either. Most libraries in this country use the Dewey
Decimal classification system in which each category of book has a
meaningful classification number. Books are placed on shelves in numerical
order (books with same class number are then arranged alphabetically by
author's name) so that there is a continuous sequence even if there are no
books present in a particular classification. It's called 'relative
location' as opposed to 'fixed location' and avoids the possibility of
wasted empty shelf space.

p.s. Use the strongest card you can get consistent with being able to fold
it. Most stationers stock a range of cards. If you want to be really
'posh' you could make them from plywood.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM wrote:
I want to attach labels to my book shelves, e.g. "History",
"Computing", "Cooking" etc. But I don't want to use any form of sticky
label.

What would be ideal is transparent plastic channelling that "snaps"
over the shelf. These IKEA Billy shelves are 18mm thick. I could cut
the channelling to size, using ordinary scissors.

Then I can easily move the labels as and when the contents of the
shelves change. The labels themselves I could just print off on my
laser printer.

Has anyone seen anything like this, or has alternative suggestions?

My first thought would be the 'C' shaped channel used to hold printed
information above things like patch bays used in broadcasting. Comes in
various heights.

http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/ca...9_2000178.aspx

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.