Wdyw

Default 3 way diverter question

Hi folks,

After two years of having the central heating operating by sticking my diverter
on open (manual) and setting the hot water on I decided to replace the dodgy
synchon motor. Tootled along to Wickes (£7 above what I should have paid) and
picked up a nice shiny new one. Fitted it this morning during the Wales game.

Anyway ..... the motor doesn't seem to be doing very much but everything seems
to be working!. If I put the HW on by itself it will move the valve if it is
out of position. However, no combination of HW, Central heating etc will move
it again.

When I put the central heating on I can hear one of the two micro switches at
the end of stroke position operating (electrically rather than mechnically
presumably as the manual adjustment bar at the back hasn't moved).

Should the micro switch kicking coincide with the motor turning in the opposite
direction to move the valve? Does the fact that the micro switch is operating
but the motor does not turn mean that the minute little 3/4 component circuit
board is either knackered or has a dry joint somewhere?

It's a standard HW tank sensor, a single room sensor, 3 way valve with a
Honeywell 9210 valve controller.

Anyway, after the diverter valve did move when I set it to HW, the radiators
are working fine, the room sensor is happily telling the system to fire the
boiler and all appears well. I'm not so sure it is working as intended though?

Any advice/comments greatly welcomed!

John
BigWallop

"Wdyw" wrote in message
Hi folks,

After two years of having the central heating operating by sticking my

diverter
on open (manual) and setting the hot water on I decided to replace the

dodgy
synchon motor. Tootled along to Wickes (£7 above what I should have paid)

and
picked up a nice shiny new one. Fitted it this morning during the Wales

game.

Anyway ..... the motor doesn't seem to be doing very much but everything

seems
to be working!. If I put the HW on by itself it will move the valve if it

is
out of position. However, no combination of HW, Central heating etc will

move
it again.

Have you actually left the cover off and had a look to see what the valve is
doing when the programmer is in different settings ?

[...]

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

DrJohn

Cheers folks, I'll get the cover off and have a look one day this
week. Two (hopefully) successful DIY projects on the one weekend ....a
new record!
Wdyw

Right, the valve seems to be operating correctly ..onto the next part ....how
the heck do I program the CH and HW to come on at different times?

Try as I might I can only get the programmer to set both to come on/off at set
times (Pottertton NP2001 programmer) and thus unless I turn HW to off the tank
sesnsor tells the boiler to shut down when it reahes its set temperature even
though the CH temp has not been reached. I'm sure thereis way to program CH and
HW separately but its defeating meat the moement (I hate inheriting things
where the previous owners don't leave the instructions!). Oh, openingthe
progammer there are two dip switches ...one says program, the other security. I
assume security stops you changing settings- any ideas what the other one is
for?

John

BigWallop

"Wdyw" wrote in message
[...]

How old is the programmer ? The only ones I can find a

Potterton Myson

EP2000
Electronic Programmer 24 hour 2 on/off
£ 46.00

EP2002
Electronic Programmer (Weekday/Weekend) 2 on/off
£ 46.00

EP3002
Electronic Programmer 2 on/off 7 day
£ 46.00

EP4000
Electronic Timeswitch 24 2 on/off
£ 46.00

EP4002
Electronic Timeswitch 3 on/off 5/2 day
£ 46.00

EP5002
Electronic Timeswitch 7 day 3 on/off
£ 46.00

EP6002
Electronic Programmer 7 day independent channels
£ 46.00

MINI MINDER E
Electronic Programmer 24 hour 2 on/off
£ 41.00

MINI MINDER ES
Electronic Timeswitch 24 hour 2 on/off
£ 41.00

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Wdyw

How old is the programmer ?

I assume same age as the house 10years or so.

The only ones I can find a

Its an EP2001. Weekday/Weekend 2on/off

BigWallop

"Wdyw" wrote in message
How old is the programmer ?

I assume same age as the house 10years or so.

The only ones I can find a

Its an EP2001. Weekday/Weekend 2on/off

I think the best advice I can give you, would be for you to ask Potterton
for a user manual on the timer.

Request one from he

http://www.potterton.co.uk/after_sales/main.htm

Then find out how the timer works first before you go changing anything
else.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

NO HW NO CH, Honeywell diverter valve Clive Long,UK UK diy 6 October 7th 03 04:03 PM
Tiling question. Mark S. UK diy 6 September 11th 03 01:07 PM
Central Heating Question Jackie UK diy 3 August 29th 03 10:29 PM
FAQ Question re. central heating Andy Hall UK diy 24 August 14th 03 02:31 PM