Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I bought my first power drill from Woolies ya know.

About 1986. Woolies in Cambridge. The most basic Black & Decker going.
I think it was about a tenner. Single speed. Or slidey switch (which
soon learnt to slide itself at inappropriate moments) to make extra
noise (and supposedly add hammer action). Self undoing chuck.

See that's where Woolies went wrong - they stopped selling c***loads
of s*** tools.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:
About 1986. Woolies in Cambridge. The most basic Black & Decker going.
I think it was about a tenner. Single speed. Or slidey switch (which
soon learnt to slide itself at inappropriate moments) to make extra
noise (and supposedly add hammer action). Self undoing chuck.

See that's where Woolies went wrong - they stopped selling c***loads
of s*** tools.

They used to have quite a reasonable shelf full of electrical
wiring accessories, and reasonably priced. That gradually
dwindled down to nothing. Walking through there a couple of
weeks back, and seeing the lady's toolkits (complete with pink
handled hammers and screwdrivers), you realise they've completely
lost the plot.

This isn't the first time they've been in trouble. Probably 10
to 15 years ago, they had to sell off all their largest high
street stores, which meant they vanished from many prime shopping
towns. These largest stores had franchised out all their sales
areas to different retail companies, which didn't seem to work
for them. They retained the medium sized stores in the smaller
towns where they hadn't done this.

I'm still puzzled why Alan Sugar bought a load of their shares
when they plumetted a few months back. Keep thinking he's going
to pull a surprise of of the hat.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
" writes:
About 1986. Woolies in Cambridge. The most basic Black & Decker
going. I think it was about a tenner. Single speed. Or slidey switch
(which soon learnt to slide itself at inappropriate moments) to make
extra noise (and supposedly add hammer action). Self undoing chuck.

See that's where Woolies went wrong - they stopped selling c***loads
of s*** tools.

They used to have quite a reasonable shelf full of electrical
wiring accessories, and reasonably priced. That gradually
dwindled down to nothing. Walking through there a couple of
weeks back, and seeing the lady's toolkits (complete with pink
handled hammers and screwdrivers), you realise they've completely
lost the plot.

Agreed. I can't think of a single reason to go into Woolies. Wilkinsons
seen to have taken over their market niche.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
" writes:
About 1986. Woolies in Cambridge. The most basic Black & Decker
going. I think it was about a tenner. Single speed. Or slidey switch
(which soon learnt to slide itself at inappropriate moments) to make
extra noise (and supposedly add hammer action). Self undoing chuck.

See that's where Woolies went wrong - they stopped selling c***loads
of s*** tools.

They used to have quite a reasonable shelf full of electrical
wiring accessories, and reasonably priced. That gradually
dwindled down to nothing. Walking through there a couple of
weeks back, and seeing the lady's toolkits (complete with pink
handled hammers and screwdrivers), you realise they've completely
lost the plot.

Agreed. I can't think of a single reason to go into Woolies. Wilkinsons
seen to have taken over their market niche.

Went into our local one a few weeks ago. Then thought "WTF am I doing
here?", and left. Probably never to return (whether I want to or not, it
seems).

The things they used to sell:

o Crap stationery products
o Cheap cheese and bacon
o Vinyl (Weren't they at one time the biggest record shop in the
country? Or is that my memory inventing things?)
o Contact (Fablon-alike)
o Ladybird kids clothes
o Spud and cap guns

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
" writes:
About 1986. Woolies in Cambridge. The most basic Black & Decker going.
I think it was about a tenner. Single speed. Or slidey switch (which
soon learnt to slide itself at inappropriate moments) to make extra
noise (and supposedly add hammer action). Self undoing chuck.

See that's where Woolies went wrong - they stopped selling c***loads
of s*** tools.

Better hope it doesn't go wrong then

They used to have quite a reasonable shelf full of electrical
wiring accessories, and reasonably priced.

I'm still puzzled why Alan Sugar bought a load of their shares
when they plumetted a few months back. Keep thinking he's going
to pull a surprise of of the hat.

.... or not

Where's that penny I dropped down the back of the sofa ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
" writes:
[...]

Bags of broken biscuits. Yummy!
Mum used to send me there for red leicester cheese for me dad's saturday
evening dinner.
As a 10 year old or summat like that I used to nick stuff from woolies. I
remember they had a tools counter
back when each counter had attendants in a space surrounded by counters. I
pinched a tiny spirit level
because it was shiny. Slipped it down my sleeve and did a runner. Tried
again a week later to have it away with a mars bar.
Got clocked by someone..put it back and did a linford christie.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:27:13 +0000, Rod wrote:

The things they used to sell:

o Crap stationery products
o Cheap cheese and bacon
o Vinyl (Weren't they at one time the biggest record shop in the
country? Or is that my memory inventing things?)
o Contact (Fablon-alike)
o Ladybird kids clothes
o Spud and cap guns

About the only thing there that they no longer sell (sold?) is the cheese
and bacon. OK the Vinyl is now CDs and DVDs not records but still the
modern equivalent. Think I saw cap guns in there the other day, spud guns
have probably been outlawed as "unsafe".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
o Vinyl (Weren't they at one time the biggest record shop in the
country? Or is that my memory inventing things?)

Entertainment UK (EUK) is the UK's leading distributor of entertainment
products, generating an annual turnover in excess of £1.5 billion -
wholly owned subsidery of the Woolworths group and trades with WH Smith,
Tesco, Zavvi (formerly Virgin), Sainsbury's, Asda, Woolworths and
Morrisons.

They have a joint venture '2 Entertain' with BBC Worldwide who look to
be in the running to aquire that bit. But the statement posted here is grim.

http://www.woolworthsgroupplc.com/media/news_release_article.cfm?year=2008&id=172

Interesting museum site here
http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/

I think (hope) someone will take Entertainment UK and keep that running
as it is. It would be a better ending result than what's now left of the
former American parent - the 'Foot Locker' sports shoe shop!

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:27:13 +0000, Rod
wrote:

The things they used to sell:

o Crap stationery products

Basildon Bond, Platignum pens.

o Cheap cheese and bacon
o Vinyl (Weren't they at one time the biggest record shop in the
country? Or is that my memory inventing things?)
o Contact (Fablon-alike)

Won't miss that stuff. Next door did their whole fridge with flowery
"Contact". Mum had it on a kitchen table with a worn out formica top.

The pattern wore off it and it shrank, as it shrank little nicks used
to open up in it as gluey little "smiles". Later still it hardened
where it was folded at the corners.

o Ladybird kids clothes
o Spud and cap guns

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov 2008 20:45:58 GMT Andrew Gabriel wrote :
They used to have quite a reasonable shelf full of electrical
wiring accessories, and reasonably priced.

No you mention it, I can remember buying bell wire there as a child
in the 1960s, cut off a reel. And cheap tools like a 1/11d hammer.
And packets of stamps. But, as has been said on Working Lunch more
than few times, it has lost its purpose and if it didn't exist no
one would go out and invent it.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On 26 Nov 2008 20:45:58 GMT Andrew Gabriel wrote :
They used to have quite a reasonable shelf full of electrical
wiring accessories, and reasonably priced.

No you mention it, I can remember buying bell wire there as a child
in the 1960s, cut off a reel. And cheap tools like a 1/11d hammer.
And packets of stamps. But, as has been said on Working Lunch more
than few times, it has lost its purpose and if it didn't exist no
one would go out and invent it.

The Woolies in the market town where I live is the only place you can
purchase cookware, childrens clothes (save for a small boutique where
you pay 40 quid for a 12-18mth shirt), CDs, DVDs, video game hardware
software and peripherals, power tools, glues, socket extension leads,
sandpaper, Christmas lights. We'd miss it if it wasn't there. We use it
every week. Especially for the children's section.

The alternative would be to drive to some out of town place, or perhaps
bus or train into the nearest large town or city. Not exactly convenient.

The flumps and cola bottles are nice too :-)

I hope it survives.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gary" wrote in message
Tony Bryer wrote:
[...]

Not to mention pic 'n mix!

--
Bob Mannix (also in a market town with a Woolies)

(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
The alternative would be to drive to some out of town place, or perhaps
bus or train into the nearest large town or city. Not exactly convenient.

The flumps and cola bottles are nice too :-)

I hope it survives.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov, 21:16, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Agreed. *I can't think of a single reason to go into Woolies. *Wilkinsons
seen to have taken over their market niche.

That and the supermarkets. I can't think of anything you can buy in
Woolies that you can't buy in Asda, Tesco etc of any size.

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 27, 8:42*am, "Bob Mannix" wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message

Tony Bryer wrote:
[...]

It's exactly the same (Candy King) in Wilkinsons, so no worries there.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Neil Williams writes
I can't think of anything you can buy in Woolies that you can't buy in
Asda, Tesco etc of any size.

The stapler that does furniture and yet has an attachment that lets you
industrially staple wodges of paper.

I've not found anywhere else selling anything like this at a price I
want to afford. Not even Staples.

Does no-one else print out stuff off the 'net that laughs at office
staples?

Many of these stores amaze me. Woolies had lost the plot ages ago, her
indoors tells me that the rescued Ethel Austin has no idea, and I really
think the Dixons bunch must be getting pretty depressed. How come many
of these stores seem to have lost the ability to put prices on the stuff
on the shelves?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bill wrote:
In message
,
Neil Williams writes
I can't think of anything you can buy in Woolies that you can't buy in
Asda, Tesco etc of any size.

The stapler that does furniture and yet has an attachment that lets you
industrially staple wodges of paper.

I've not found anywhere else selling anything like this at a price I
want to afford. Not even Staples.

Does no-one else print out stuff off the 'net that laughs at office
staples?

Many of these stores amaze me. Woolies had lost the plot ages ago, her
indoors tells me that the rescued Ethel Austin has no idea, and I really
think the Dixons bunch must be getting pretty depressed. How come many
of these stores seem to have lost the ability to put prices on the stuff
on the shelves?

I do my best to print as little as possible. And, if bulk is
occasionally required, I consider duplex and two-up options. Haven't got
to "unstaple-able" in a few years!

Not pricing goods is a major problem. It is incredible that it is
allowed - whether by the store, the trading standards or the customers.
John Lewis just about pull themselves back from the edge by having
scanners around the store. (Not an excuse but it is a process to correct
a problem they have perceived.) But why virtually no-one else?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not to mention pic 'n mix!

Not as good as it used to be years ago, range of sweets has shrunk, quality
has diminished and the price has gone sky high. I was shocked how much a
couple of handfulls of pick n mix costs nowdays.
It would still be missed though.
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Gabriel) wrote:

I'm still puzzled why Alan Sugar bought a load of their shares
when they plumetted a few months back. Keep thinking he's going
to pull a surprise of of the hat.

He thinks the property is worth more than the debt? Unlike MFI which
has closed, mostly, because it can't pay its rent.

There used to be three Woolworths in Leicester but for many years now
there's only been one. I recall them having a wide range of stuff as a
lad in the 1950s/'60s. As someone else said, Wilkos has moved into the
old Woolies arena.

Anyone remember when the Americans sold up and the UK business became
UK owned?

And when Kingfisher flogged off Woolies?

"Woolworths Group plc demerger

On 28 August 2001, Kingfisher demerged its general merchandise business
and new Woolworths Group plc shares were then separately listed on the
London Stock Exchange. Kingfisher shareholders received one Woolworths
Group ordinary share of 12.5 pence each for every Kingfisher share held.
On the same date, the Kingfisher ordinary shares of 12.5 pence each were
consolidated into ordinary shares of 13.75 pence each. Shareholders
received 10 consolidated Kingfisher shares of 13.75 pence each for every
11 Kingfisher ordinary shares of 12.5 pence each."

http://www.kingfisher.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=129

That was before buying Screwfix, wasn't it?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:24:57 -0000, "Arthur2"
wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
" writes:
[...]

Ah, the memories of all that. As a youngster in the 50s, Woollies was
like an Alladins Cave to me, can't think of much they didn't sell
then, we even used to buy sheets of shoe leather there and the wax for
finishing the heals after repair.

One of my abiding memories of Woollies back then was in the cafeteria,
almost always upstairs and no matter which branch you went into the
scene was almost identical. Some old biddy with arms the size of a
weightlifter and wearing a headscarf would line up a couple of dozen
cups in a square and proceed to fill them from a teapot the size of a
dustbin, no stopping, just kept pouring until the last one was filled.
finished up with tea all down the sides of the cup but you didn't dare
complain. Still, that was the Wonder of Woolies.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Johnson wrote:
I'm still puzzled why Alan Sugar bought a load of their shares
when they plumetted a few months back. Keep thinking he's going
to pull a surprise of of the hat.

He thinks the property is worth more than the debt? Unlike MFI which
has closed, mostly, because it can't pay its rent.

R4 reported that Woolies flogged off all its property years ago and
entered a rent back deal. At rents which can only go up - not down.

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Johnson" wrote in message

Anyone remember when the Americans
sold up and the UK business became
UK owned?

Woolworth in South Africa is owned by Marks and Sparks. The insides are
near identical and they are nothing like Woolies here being more upmarket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 15:50:54 +0000 Peter Johnson wrote :
I'm still puzzled why Alan Sugar bought a load of their
shares when they plumetted a few months back. Keep thinking
he's going to pull a surprise of of the hat.

He thinks the property is worth more than the debt? Unlike
MFI which has closed, mostly, because it can't pay its rent.

According to one news story I read, they got rid of their
freeholds several years ago on a sale and leaseback deal. A key
reason the company is all but worthless is that the moment you
buy it you become responsible for all the rent payments.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave"
saying something like:

Not to mention pic 'n mix!

Not as good as it used to be years ago, range of sweets has shrunk, quality
has diminished and the price has gone sky high. I was shocked how much a
couple of handfulls of pick n mix costs nowdays.

Istr that when the Pic'n Mix stands first appeared you could help
yourself in some stores - not supposed to, but there were never any
assisstants around and legions of small grubby boys would merrily fumble
their sticky hands in the Sick 'n ****s.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Old Git
saying something like:

Some old biddy with arms the size of a
weightlifter and wearing a headscarf would line up a couple of dozen
cups in a square and proceed to fill them from a teapot the size of a
dustbin, no stopping, just kept pouring until the last one was filled.
finished up with tea all down the sides of the cup but you didn't dare
complain. Still, that was the Wonder of Woolies.

A whole generation of ex-NAAFI counter staff had to go somewhere.
The fag hanging out of the side of the mouth was optional, as I recall.