Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Siezed air vent plug in large radiator

Friends,
I have a problem with a siezed air vent plug in a large welded
radiator.

Any ideas on how to remove and hopefully rethread the hole without
having to buy a whole new radiator?

Regards, Peter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

petercharlesfagg wrote:
Friends,
I have a problem with a siezed air vent plug in a large welded
radiator.

Any ideas on how to remove and hopefully rethread the hole without
having to buy a whole new radiator?

Do you mean the bleed screw or the larger thingy it fits in to?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do you mean the bleed screw or the larger thingy it fits in to?

Thankyou for asking, my apologies for not coming back on this
question.

The radiator is of a welded construction (8 feet long by 4 feet high)
(There is not a larger section that it fits into apart from the whole
radiator) and the bleed screw is siezed, I am concerned that by
forcing it I will either snap it off or strip the threads.

All I really need to do is to open it to release the air build up
inside.

I was wondering whether I should attempt to freeze it with one of
those electrician/plumber type sprays and then heat it up again to
make it lose the grip, I know that the method works, sometimes, on
seized nuts and bolts.

Any ideas would be appreciated since a new radiator price is
prohibitive!

Regards, Peter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

petercharlesfagg wrote:
Do you mean the bleed screw or the larger thingy it fits in to?

Thankyou for asking, my apologies for not coming back on this
question.

The radiator is of a welded construction (8 feet long by 4 feet high)

Thats ferkin huge! Are you sure? Whats it heating, the Royal Albert Hall?

(There is not a larger section that it fits into apart from the whole
radiator) and the bleed screw is siezed, I am concerned that by
forcing it I will either snap it off or strip the threads.

As you should be :-) Be gentle with it.

All I really need to do is to open it to release the air build up inside.

I was wondering whether I should attempt to freeze it with one of
those electrician/plumber type sprays and then heat it up again to
make it lose the grip, I know that the method works, sometimes, on
seized nuts and bolts.

Blowlamp might work. Plusgas is worth a try.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:17:18 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

petercharlesfagg wrote:
Do you mean the bleed screw or the larger thingy it fits in to?

Thankyou for asking, my apologies for not coming back on this
question.

The radiator is of a welded construction (8 feet long by 4 feet high)

Thats ferkin huge! Are you sure? Whats it heating, the Royal Albert Hall?

I've just got out a tape measure to see exactly what that ( 8ft x 4ft)
looks like . That can't be right surely?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

petercharlesfagg wrote:
Do you mean the bleed screw or the larger thingy it fits in to?

Thankyou for asking, my apologies for not coming back on this
question.

The radiator is of a welded construction (8 feet long by 4 feet high)

Thats ferkin huge! Are you sure? Whats it heating, the Royal Albert

Hall?

I've just got out a tape measure to see exactly what that ( 8ft x 4ft)
looks like . That can't be right surely?

Welded? Sized at 8 foot X 4 foot? For a radiator? It must be a specially
made thing, yes?

Our local community center has smaller radiators than that in its main hall,
and they play football on a full sized pitch in there. :-)

We would need a photograph of the said culprit. Not just of the radiator,
but the room that it is sited in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not? I'm sitting not 3' from a 10' x 3' single panel unfinned
radiator. It's old mind, modern radiators tend to be smaller by being
double panel and finned.

As for geting the seized plug out, plus gas and gentle percusion in both
directions.

Thankyou, not only to Dave but to all who responded, I will attempt
using Plus Gas and tender words of encouragement!

I am wrong in my measurements, the radiator is 8 foot long by 3 feet
high, single unit, no fins on the back.

Regards, Peter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:19:06 -0800 (PST), petercharlesfagg
wrote:

Why not? I'm sitting not 3' from a 10' x 3' single panel unfinned
radiator. It's old mind, modern radiators tend to be smaller by being
double panel and finned.

As for geting the seized plug out, plus gas and gentle percusion in both
directions.

Thankyou, not only to Dave but to all who responded, I will attempt
using Plus Gas and tender words of encouragement!

I am wrong in my measurements, the radiator is 8 foot long by 3 feet
high, single unit, no fins on the back.

Regards, Peter.

Oh.Only 3ft high .That's a tiddler then . :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could not purchase Plus-gas no-one we tried had it in stock,
eventually purchased 3-in-1 Professional Penetrant Spray which worked
a treat!

Thankyou for the suggestions.

Regards, Peter.

Different thread in Radiator Plug Greg UK diy 1 October 29th 08 06:47 AM
Help: door lock siezed up Bob H UK diy 17 March 2nd 08 05:31 PM
Large CH radiator? Jon[_3_] UK diy 6 January 25th 08 03:42 PM
Radiator over plug socket - dangerous [email protected] UK diy 3 December 23rd 05 04:55 PM
radiator vent plugs Paul Williams UK diy 1 October 25th 04 06:44 PM