Paul Williams

Default radiator vent plugs

Hi guys

A while ago I enquired on here about where to get replacement bleed
screws/vent plugs (I've heard them called both). Anyways, the advice was
to buy a new vakve and simply use the screw from that (My radiators have
built in bleed holes). So I bought one at the weekend, only to find that
the screw is too small for the hole.

So do they come in more than one size? If so, how many sizes are there?
Is the size the external diameter of the thread, or the internal?

And most importantly, where can i get one? The plumbers merchant i got
the valve mentioned above from only sold the one size....

Cheers

Paul
Set Square

Paul Williams wrote:

Hi guys

A while ago I enquired on here about where to get replacement bleed
screws/vent plugs (I've heard them called both). Anyways, the advice
was to buy a new vakve and simply use the screw from that (My
radiators have built in bleed holes). So I bought one at the weekend,
only to find that the screw is too small for the hole.

So do they come in more than one size? If so, how many sizes are
there? Is the size the external diameter of the thread, or the
internal?

And most importantly, where can i get one? The plumbers merchant i got
the valve mentioned above from only sold the one size....

Cheers

Paul

That's interesting!

I've got a mixture of roll-top radiators with integral bleed assemblies, and
rads with removeable bleed assemblies - and the pins themselves all seem to
have a 2BA thread - which is about 4.6mm in diameter to the top of the
threads.

You may have seen my recent post about my MkII Gizmo - for screwing into the
rad in place of the bleed screw in order to pump some air in, to force the
water up into the header tank so that there is less to drain out. In
designing this, I have assumed that all bleed pins are the same. Seems like
a bit more research may be called for!

Are you able to measure the diameter of the pin, and to determine what
thread it has? This would be very useful information.
--
Cheers,
Set Square