Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Different thread in Radiator Plug

Due to doing some DIY when I was tired, I managed to drop the vent for a
radiator between the floorboards. I've looked for it and can't find it
there, so have purchased a new vent. I thought it should be a
straightforward 1/2" vent/plug, but the thread seems to be different on the
radiator to the thread plug.

Am I going mad, or are there different threads for radiator plug? If so,
where do they sell those and what should I be asking for?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Greg" wrote in :

Due to doing some DIY when I was tired, I managed to drop the vent for
a radiator between the floorboards. I've looked for it and can't find
it there, so have purchased a new vent. I thought it should be a
straightforward 1/2" vent/plug, but the thread seems to be different
on the radiator to the thread plug.

Am I going mad, or are there different threads for radiator plug? If
so, where do they sell those and what should I be asking for?

Thanks

They should all be 1/2 inch BSP fitting, but you are falling into the trap
of thinking they are simple screw-in fittings. Place the new vent against
the hole in the radiator. Now slowly turn the vent anti-clockwise until
you feel the threads marry up together. You'll feel the physical click as
the ends of the thread pass each other. Stop there and begin to screw the
vent in as normal. You will have to put a little pressure against it when
you do this, because the thread in the radiator is set back from the
surface a little bit.

Give it another try, and just take your time. I'm sure you'll get it.

If that doesn't work for you, then find out what make and model the
radiators are, and do a web search for the correct type of fittings they
take.

Good luck.