Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joe Joe is offline

Default Loft Floor Material

Hi all,

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor than those B&Q Diy packs
that are for sale. The loft floors quite a big area so would be pretty
expensive for those. Would I be better just buying 6x4 chipboard and
cutting it up or is there alternatives out there..
Cheers

Joe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Joe wrote:
Hi all,

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor than those B&Q Diy packs
that are for sale. The loft floors quite a big area so would be pretty
expensive for those. Would I be better just buying 6x4 chipboard and
cutting it up or is there alternatives out there..
Cheers

Joe.

They do 8x2 flooring chip (if you can get it through the hatch)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 20, 6:15 pm, Joe wrote:
Hi all,

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor than those B&Q Diy packs
that are for sale. The loft floors quite a big area so would be pretty
expensive for those. Would I be better just buying 6x4 chipboard and
cutting it up or is there alternatives out there..

The problem with cutting the larger sheets is that you have no T+G at
any of the joints. You'll have to cut every piece to fit exactly so
that all the ends are supported on the joists.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Joe wrote:
Hi all,

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor than those B&Q Diy packs
that are for sale. The loft floors quite a big area so would be pretty
expensive for those. Would I be better just buying 6x4 chipboard and
cutting it up or is there alternatives out there..
Cheers

Joe.

They do 8x2 flooring chip (if you can get it through the hatch)

Personally, I would use floor boards spaced 2 inches apart. Far lighter
and cheaper if bought from a timber merchant.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor xxxxxxxx

Dave writ

Personally, I would use floor boards spaced 2 inches apart. Far lighter
and cheaper if bought from a timber merchant.

Why the 2" gap?
draughts and dropped bits could get through the gaps...

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George (dicegeorge) wrote:

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor xxxxxxxx

Dave writ

Personally, I would use floor boards spaced 2 inches apart. Far
lighter and cheaper if bought from a timber merchant.

Why the 2" gap?
draughts and dropped bits could get through the gaps...

If you suffer drafts, then you always will, no matter what the gaps are.
Drafts through the insulation are bad news and need to be sorted.

The reason for the gaps is to allow you to put less weight on the floor
than it was designed to take and still navigate it with relative safety.
No gaps in an old house, but the floor of a relatively new one will not
take lightly (no pun intended) to the weight of chip board loading it
down. Though there have been arguments that the boxing effect raises the
strength of the loft floor. I am not sure on that.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
George (dicegeorge) wrote:

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor xxxxxxxx

No gaps in an old house, but the floor of a relatively new one will not
take lightly (no pun intended) to the weight of chip board loading it
down. Though there have been arguments that the boxing effect raises the
strength of the loft floor.

precisely. Also the weight of the chip is fairly trivial.

Depends how brassic you are, but the very cheapest floorintg is free
discarded half inch chip. If you end up with veneered/melamine, paint
it with glue with something in after fitting to give it some grip.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Joe" wrote in message
Hi all,

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor than those B&Q Diy packs
that are for sale. The loft floors quite a big area so would be pretty
expensive for those. Would I be better just buying 6x4 chipboard and
cutting it up or is there alternatives out there..
Cheers

For the true *Pikey* solution

Pallet planks

YKIMS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 18:49, stuart noble wrote:

They do 8x2 flooring chip (if you can get it through the hatch)

I'd always use OSB rather than small-chip chipboard. Less sag over
time, less prone to moisture-related sag and a bit lighter all round.
If you can't buy it as 8x2, then the seller will rip it down for you.
Probably makes transport easier too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor than those B&Q Diy packs
that are for sale. xxxxxxx
Joe.

I've been up in my loft for a few days insulating -
the floor depends what you want to do with it,
if you just want to store a few things
or if you're gonna let teenagers play in it
in which case it must be a lot tougher...

I've been laying kingspan over the rafters,
but if i step on them it can dent
so i've laid a few thin bits of plywood on it
and an upside down pallet in the middle -
I'm not going to let anyone else up there
so i dont need chipboard etc...

[g]