Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Loft Floor Material

George (dicegeorge) wrote:

Looking for a cheap(er) way to loft the floor xxxxxxxx

Dave writ

Personally, I would use floor boards spaced 2 inches apart. Far
lighter and cheaper if bought from a timber merchant.

Why the 2" gap?
draughts and dropped bits could get through the gaps...

If you suffer drafts, then you always will, no matter what the gaps are.
Drafts through the insulation are bad news and need to be sorted.

The reason for the gaps is to allow you to put less weight on the floor
than it was designed to take and still navigate it with relative safety.
No gaps in an old house, but the floor of a relatively new one will not
take lightly (no pun intended) to the weight of chip board loading it
down. Though there have been arguments that the boxing effect raises the
strength of the loft floor. I am not sure on that.

Dave