Default Replacing bathroom floor - best material?

We're going to completely refurbish the bathroom at our flat in
London, bathroom suite, lighting, decorations, the lot. The floor is
in a really manky state so it makes sense to replace that as well.
What's the best material to use, it's a pretty small bathroom so cost
isn't a big factor. Would waterproof/marine ply be the best thing to
use (much better than even the best chipboard I would think) or would
actual floorboards be better? It's going to have vinyl or tiles over
it.

--
Chris Green )
GB

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

wrote in message
We're going to completely refurbish the bathroom at our flat in
London, bathroom suite, lighting, decorations, the lot. The floor is
in a really manky state so it makes sense to replace that as well.
What's the best material to use, it's a pretty small bathroom so cost
isn't a big factor. Would waterproof/marine ply be the best thing to
use (much better than even the best chipboard I would think) or would
actual floorboards be better? It's going to have vinyl or tiles over
it.

--
Chris Green )

Chris,

if you are going to cover it up then a sheet material will always be

better
than boarding - a smoother flatter finish.

I would assume exterior grade ply, or marine ply, is probably better than
chipboard - especially as they use exterior grade as temporary cladding
round building sites etc.

I don't think you need go as far as marine ply.

When we did this, we used marine ply. We never had a problem desoite
children splashing etc. Definitely not chipboard.

If you are going to tile it with ceramic tiles you are going to have to make
the floor very strong. That may mean a small step up into the bathroom.
Personally, I prefer vinyl.

Travis Perkins have a neat little booklet which describes all their

various
boards and their uses.
[Assuming you have a TP near you]

Cheers
Dave R

Bathroom Flooring (replacing floorboards) Dan delaMare-Lyon UK diy 1 August 12th 03 09:35 AM
Wooden floor in bathroom? Richard Clay UK diy 1 August 11th 03 10:29 AM
Bathroom Flooring Fishter UK diy 4 August 1st 03 04:06 PM
Redoing Bathroom - Help Please?? rakster UK diy 3 July 21st 03 10:55 PM
Under-floor heating for a bathroom - hot water or electric, and how to control? BigWallop UK diy 13 July 8th 03 08:46 PM