Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default victorian window sill - laid across whole thickness of wall?

Googling produces lots of diagrams of sash windows and sills, but
nothing that I could find that answers my question below. Please can
someone advise me?

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

I need to get a replacement sill from an architectural salvage yard
but I don't want to expose the old one (to measure the depth) until I
am ready to actually do the replacement so I'd like to estimate the
depth I need.

and is it sill or cill?

many thanks,

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
Googling produces lots of diagrams of sash windows and sills, but
nothing that I could find that answers my question below. Please can
someone advise me?

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

Don't think so, no. I fitted one myself a few years ago and am pretty
sure it didn't... the key thing of course is that the width 'buried' in
the wall comfortably exceeds the width which is proud of the wall, as
otherwise it will tip and fall out. The width of the proud bit will
vary considerably depending on the design I would think.

And BTW those things are *incredibly* heavy! I still have an
intermittent pain in my shoulder as a result. Or maybe that was the
matching stone lintel...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 18, 2:49*pm, RobertL wrote:
Googling produces lots of diagrams of sash windows and sills, but
nothing that I could find that answers my question below. *Please can
someone advise me?

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

I need to get a replacement sill from an architectural salvage yard
but I don't want to expose the old one (to measure the depth) until I
am ready to actually do the replacement so I'd like to estimate the
depth I need.

and is it sill or cill?

many thanks,

Robert

The sills in our 1880s victorian terrace house didn't and the sills in
our 1830s house didn't either. There's no reason for them to do so as
they are there for the window to sit on, not for the interior wooden
sill to sit on. Contrast this with the hideously weighty full depth
lintels dovetailed into the surrounding masonry, which we were to
scared to move.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

On a slightly later house (1910ish) mine did - almost. The plaster on
it was a little thicker than the rest of the wall to compensate
--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message

Googling produces lots of diagrams of sash windows and sills, but
nothing that I could find that answers my question below. Please can
someone advise me?

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

I need to get a replacement sill from an architectural salvage yard
but I don't want to expose the old one (to measure the depth) until I
am ready to actually do the replacement so I'd like to estimate the
depth I need.

and is it sill or cill?

many thanks,

Robert

Do you mean the width of the window opening? if so yes as mine comes right
in to the end of the bricwork.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 18, 3:34*pm, "George" wrote:
"RobertL" wrote in message

Googling produces lots of diagrams of sash windows and sills, but
nothing that I could find that answers my question below. *Please can
someone advise me?

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

I need to get a replacement sill from an architectural salvage yard
but I don't want to expose the old one (to measure the depth) until I
am ready to actually do the replacement so I'd like to estimate the
depth I need.

and is it sill or cill?

many thanks,

Robert

Do you mean the width of the window opening? if so yes as mine comes right
in to the end of the bricwork

No, not the width, I meant the depth whether the inside edge of the
sill is flush with the insied edge of the bricks. From what people
say,m that is not normally the case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
On Nov 18, 3:34 pm, "George" wrote:
"RobertL" wrote in message

[...]

Funny,depth means to me height and width the widness of a two brick wall.

Anyway I know what you mean and mine extend inside flush with the bricwork
and protrudes about two inches on the outside from the brick facia.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 18, 3:16*pm, Lobster wrote:
RobertL wrote:
Googling produces lots of diagrams of sash windows and sills, but
nothing that I could find that answers my question below. *Please can
someone advise me?

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

Don't think so, no. *I fitted one myself a few years ago and am pretty
sure it didn't... the key thing of course is that the width 'buried' in
the wall comfortably exceeds the width which is proud of the wall, as
otherwise it will tip and fall out. *The width of the proud bit will
vary considerably depending on the design I would think.

I will be trying to match the sills on the oethr windows so I can
measure all the dimensions except the depth which is hidden of course.

And BTW those things are *incredibly* heavy!

yes, if its about 70cm x 10cm x 30cm thats 21 litres and the density
of stone is about 2.2 kg/litre so thats about 46kg. So you'd need at
least 2 people to lift it.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
RobertL wrote:
Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

Having just removed one recently, no. Just one brick deep, as it were.

I need to get a replacement sill from an architectural salvage yard
but I don't want to expose the old one (to measure the depth) until I
am ready to actually do the replacement so I'd like to estimate the
depth I need.

What width and where are you? I still have the one I removed (larger
window installed)

and is it sill or cill?

Either. Especially if you're Scots.

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RobertL" wrote in message
snipped

Do you mean the width of the window opening? if so yes as mine comes right
in to the end of the bricwork

No, not the width, I meant the depth whether the inside edge of the
sill is flush with the insied edge of the bricks. From what people
say,m that is not normally the case.

The stone sill normally sits atop the outer skin of stonework. Maybe an
overlap on the inside of an inch, but not much more. Timber framing is then
fixed inside the stonework to take the window and create a cavity to allow
the sash weights to run up and down at the sides of the window.

Timber sills are normally formed to overlap the outer stone sill and let
rain drip away over the top of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, RobertL writes

Googling produces lots of diagrams of sash windows and sills, but
nothing that I could find that answers my question below. Please can
someone advise me?

Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

I need to get a replacement sill from an architectural salvage yard
but I don't want to expose the old one (to measure the depth) until I
am ready to actually do the replacement so I'd like to estimate the
depth I need.

and is it sill or cill?

Cill, I believe!

The old Ashlar cills I removed from the current (Victorian - not sure
exactly how old though) renovation I am doing sat on the whole of the 9"
wall. The replacement cills just sat on the outside course of bricks.

Cheers

Martin
--
Martin Carroll

Painting a window sill Dave UK diy 34 September 23rd 08 06:22 PM
Fitting a window sill onto an uneven, non-level wall [email protected] UK diy 10 January 7th 08 02:40 PM
How to repair my PVC window sill? [email protected] UK diy 0 July 31st 06 01:01 PM
Brick window sill [email protected] UK diy 1 June 7th 06 01:18 PM
London Victorian Terrace Bay Window repair Edzy55 UK diy 5 November 9th 05 12:21 PM