Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default victorian window sill - laid across whole thickness of wall?

In article
,
RobertL wrote:
Normally, does the stone window sill in a typical 1880s victorian
terraced house (with sash windows) extend right across the whole depth
of the (8") wall?

Having just removed one recently, no. Just one brick deep, as it were.

I need to get a replacement sill from an architectural salvage yard
but I don't want to expose the old one (to measure the depth) until I
am ready to actually do the replacement so I'd like to estimate the
depth I need.

What width and where are you? I still have the one I removed (larger
window installed)

and is it sill or cill?

Either. Especially if you're Scots.

--
*Verbs HAS to agree with their subjects *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.