Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Manhole depth v diameter

I've to connect a 110mm soil pipe to an existing 4" clay sewer pipe. It
will be near enough at a right angle.

Depth will be about 750mm-900mm.

To make it roddable I will need an inspection chamber.
There is obviously a relationship between the diameter of inspection chamber
and depth to permit the use of rods.
I'm keen to install the smallest I can get away with as they are not cheap
things.
Advice please.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote in message
et...

I've to connect a 110mm soil pipe to an existing 4" clay sewer pipe. It
will be near enough at a right angle.

Depth will be about 750mm-900mm.

To make it roddable I will need an inspection chamber.
There is obviously a relationship between the diameter of inspection

chamber
and depth to permit the use of rods.
I'm keen to install the smallest I can get away with as they are not cheap
things.
Advice please.

mark

It's easier to dig down and build a brickwork chamber with a lid. Make the
chamber suit the lid you buy. A good lid is 3 foot X 2 Foot for a rodding
access chamber, making the longest face toward the direction of rod pull.

The chamber depth will be determined by the depth of the drain you are
connecting up with, and a couple of inches below for the chamber sole plate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

BigWallop wrote:
"mark" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I have one of these going spa

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Manhole-Covers/5t-Steel-Manhole-Cover/invt/240730

In very good condition. Hardly used! (Decided to lay patio over the
drain a few months after having fitted it, so replaced with one that
takes the blocks.)

Wycombe area.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BigWallop" wrote in message
om...

"mark" wrote in message
et...

[...]

Also, if you are forming a brick built manhole, if you are careful you
can slit the existing pipe with an angle grinder to form the channel,
casting concrete under it as the base, and running your new pipe in
using a 'slipper' fitting which is haunched in with the base. Been
there and done that !

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mark
writes

I've to connect a 110mm soil pipe to an existing 4" clay sewer pipe. It
will be near enough at a right angle.

Depth will be about 750mm-900mm.

To make it roddable I will need an inspection chamber.
There is obviously a relationship between the diameter of inspection chamber
and depth to permit the use of rods.
I'm keen to install the smallest I can get away with as they are not cheap
things.
Advice please.

Umm... My sister had a house built where the existing sewer (private)
was rather deep. There does not appear to be an inspection pit at the T
junction but there is a *rodding eye* fitted. This rises at about 30deg.
and is finished with a screw down plastic cover.

These were the builders who did not bother to connect her bathroom basin
waste to the sewer but left it running into the foundation trench:-(

Huge may be along shortly to frighten me!

regards

mark

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb coughed up some electrons that declared:

In message , mark
writes

I've to connect a 110mm soil pipe to an existing 4" clay sewer pipe. It
will be near enough at a right angle.

Depth will be about 750mm-900mm.

To make it roddable I will need an inspection chamber.
There is obviously a relationship between the diameter of inspection
chamber and depth to permit the use of rods.
I'm keen to install the smallest I can get away with as they are not cheap
things.
Advice please.

Umm... My sister had a house built where the existing sewer (private)
was rather deep. There does not appear to be an inspection pit at the T
junction but there is a *rodding eye* fitted. This rises at about 30deg.
and is finished with a screw down plastic cover.

Interestingly, I have a 6" private sewer running down the Bungalow's garden,
serving about 5 houses up the road. Goes into the public sewer into the
road.

I have a pit up top and pit down bottom end, and a pit on my own bit of 4".
I spent a good half day however, digging around trying to find the pit
where they join. I uncovered a "patio" under the grass (lots of slabs),
moved all that, dug around more, but without going 4' down I'm presuming
there's just a buried junction.

Weird...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 13:30:14 GMT BigWallop wrote :
It's easier to dig down and build a brickwork chamber with a
lid. Make the chamber suit the lid you buy. A good lid is 3
foot X 2 Foot for a rodding access chamber, making the longest
face toward the direction of rod pull.

For the depth quoted by the OP (750-900mm), 600x450/24x18 would
be more usual. But yes, get the cover and frame first and build
the chamber to suit.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

Could they be running in parallel passed your property? They would meet
again at the downstream pit, if they do.

Just a thought.

Manhole Covers Lawrie UK diy 9 April 3rd 07 08:37 PM
Where to buy large diameter PVC pipe (14" diameter) dean Home Repair 5 November 21st 06 01:40 AM
Manhole Risers Joe Home Repair 3 September 14th 05 06:50 PM
supporting a new tile floor- plywood depth, backer board depth? K Ruck Home Repair 7 July 3rd 05 08:16 PM
Manhole Covers Don Phillips Home Repair 3 August 5th 03 11:52 PM