Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Manhole Covers

Hi,
Had a problem with a blocked drain recently which grateful advice from this
group sorted out.
But the last manhole cover before the road is in the middle of our front
garden and having lifted it to rod through, both the cover and the frame are
so rusted through that they need to be replaced.
Unfortunately the garden slopes down towards the house and the sewer
obviously the opposite way so that the sewer is a long way down way beyond
arm's reach. I am worried that when chipping away the old frame and cement
and re-cementing that nothing falls down into the sewer which is the last
thing I want; don't want any more blockages.
Has anyone any ideas for stopping stuff falling into the manhole; had
thought of a sheet of hardboard resting on screws into the side of the
manhole or on some sort of clips resting on the edge of the manhole.
Or is there any obvious way that I am missing,
Thanks, Lawrie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lawrie" wrote in message
[...]

Lay loops of rope down to bottom of pit. Fold a tarpaulin to suitable
size to go down with a bit coming up the sides. Get on with chipping
away and don't get too panicky about debris falling down but try to
avoid it. When finished use the ropes to pull up the tarpaulin with
whatever did go down.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrie wrote:
[...]

Maybe pump up an old lilo bed? Something inflatable that will wedge
itself in the hole, and then a sheet of hardboard or something to stop
it puncturing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:59:00 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Lawrie wrote:
[...]

Or one of those containers that you get sand delivered in with ropes
attached to the handles to haul it back up...I've no idea how much
room is down there tho'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't know if it would do but most fireplace shops sell square and oblong
inflatable balloons for temporarily blocking flues , about a foot down would
allow you to clean the dbris before you remove it?

--
Pete Cross

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!Lawrie wrote:
|! Hi,
|! Had a problem with a blocked drain recently which grateful advice from this
|! group sorted out.
|! But the last manhole cover before the road is in the middle of our front
|! garden and having lifted it to rod through, both the cover and the frame are
|! so rusted through that they need to be replaced.
|! Unfortunately the garden slopes down towards the house and the sewer
|! obviously the opposite way so that the sewer is a long way down way beyond
|! arm's reach. I am worried that when chipping away the old frame and cement
|! and re-cementing that nothing falls down into the sewer which is the last
|! thing I want; don't want any more blockages.
|! Has anyone any ideas for stopping stuff falling into the manhole; had
|! thought of a sheet of hardboard resting on screws into the side of the
|! manhole or on some sort of clips resting on the edge of the manhole.
|! Or is there any obvious way that I am missing,
|! Thanks, Lawrie
|!
|!
|!
|!Maybe pump up an old lilo bed? Something inflatable that will wedge
|!itself in the hole, and then a sheet of hardboard or something to stop
|!it puncturing.

IME Lilo beds deflate slowly, so after a while you would end up with a
*deflated* lilo
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|!Lawrie wrote:
|! Hi,
|! Had a problem with a blocked drain recently which grateful advice from this
|! group sorted out.
|! But the last manhole cover before the road is in the middle of our front
|! garden and having lifted it to rod through, both the cover and the frame are
|! so rusted through that they need to be replaced.
|! Unfortunately the garden slopes down towards the house and the sewer
|! obviously the opposite way so that the sewer is a long way down way beyond
|! arm's reach. I am worried that when chipping away the old frame and cement
|! and re-cementing that nothing falls down into the sewer which is the last
|! thing I want; don't want any more blockages.
|! Has anyone any ideas for stopping stuff falling into the manhole; had
|! thought of a sheet of hardboard resting on screws into the side of the
|! manhole or on some sort of clips resting on the edge of the manhole.
|! Or is there any obvious way that I am missing,
|! Thanks, Lawrie
|!
|!
|!
|!Maybe pump up an old lilo bed? Something inflatable that will wedge
|!itself in the hole, and then a sheet of hardboard or something to stop
|!it puncturing.

IME Lilo beds deflate slowly, so after a while you would end up with a
*deflated* lilo

Only when they've been abused. Those were the days!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Apr, 11:15, "Lawrie" wrote:
Has anyone any ideas for stopping stuff falling into the manhole; had
thought of a sheet of hardboard resting on screws into the side of the
manhole or on some sort of clips resting on the edge of the manhole.
Or is there any obvious way that I am missing,
Thanks, Lawrie

An inverted umbrella?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

IME Lilo beds deflate slowly, so after a while you would end up with
a *deflated* lilo

Only when they've been abused. Those were the days!

Yes, I remember that! Ours ended up with a 6" split! [Our son was born 9
months later. g]

However, under normal circumstances, they should be good for 8 hours kip.
That's long enough to do a manhole, *surely*?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Lawrie" writes:
[...]

I cut a piece of plywood to sit on the top edge of the flaunching,
making it quite a close fit with the wall sides. It was also useful
to stand on this to work on the manhole (I was also replacing the
top two courses of bricks). At the end, I scooped up the larger
pieces of mortar, and used a vacuum cleaner to suck up all the
finer stuff, before removing the sheet of ply. (If any neighbours
were watching me apparently cleaning out the sewer with a vacuum
cleaner, they probably thought I was nuts;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Manhole Risers Joe Home Repair 3 September 14th 05 06:50 PM
Manhole covers for Septic Tank Graham Harrison UK diy 6 August 31st 05 04:03 PM
Concrete Manhole Covers dan22 UK diy 8 March 29th 05 08:11 PM
OT - Manhole covers. Responsibility & availability Mr Lawes UK diy 3 December 29th 04 08:32 PM
Manhole Covers Don Phillips Home Repair 3 August 5th 03 11:52 PM