Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Touch Lights turning themselves on

We have bedside lights that are operated through 3 levels and back to
off by touching them.

They each plugged into separate sockets on the upstairs power point ring.

Occasionally when we turn the bathroom light off one or both come on.

Bathroom light is on the upstairs lighting ring.

I assume that this results from a small fluctuation rather than the
ghost following us back from the old inn over the road.

Any ideas? We will be getting the ancient fuse box replaced early next
year and I have a suspicion this may run to more work than just the fusebox.

House is detached mid 1960s.

TIA for any assistance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:

We have bedside lights that are operated through 3 levels and back to
off by touching them.

They each plugged into separate sockets on the upstairs power point ring.

Occasionally when we turn the bathroom light off one or both come on.

Bathroom light is on the upstairs lighting ring.

I assume that this results from a small fluctuation rather than the
ghost following us back from the old inn over the road.

Any ideas? We will be getting the ancient fuse box replaced early next
year and I have a suspicion this may run to more work than just the fusebox.

House is detached mid 1960s.

TIA for any assistance.

You'd need to modify the electronics to alter their sensitivity -
though its poss you might be able to bodge it by adding something
external to the touch plate, or filtering the mains supply to the
lights. Maybe refund time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Invisible Man
saying something like:

We have bedside lights that are operated through 3 levels and back to
off by touching them.

They each plugged into separate sockets on the upstairs power point ring.

Occasionally when we turn the bathroom light off one or both come on.

Bathroom light is on the upstairs lighting ring.

I assume that this results from a small fluctuation rather than the
ghost following us back from the old inn over the road.

Any ideas?

You could make a trailing lead connection box incorporating an inline
filter and plug both into it as a stopgap measure.
I use ones like these on all my inputs to sensitive kit - dead cheap and
effective.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IEC-Chassis-Mo...mZ200273591910
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Grimly Curmudgeon
saying something like:

Any ideas?

You could make a trailing lead connection box incorporating an inline
filter and plug both into it as a stopgap measure.
I use ones like these on all my inputs to sensitive kit - dead cheap and
effective.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IEC-Chassis-Mo...mZ200273591910

Alternatively, if you have a serious objection to heavy woollen
clothing, you could try this cheeky little number already built.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...20270300015677
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Invisible Man
saying something like:

We have bedside lights that are operated through 3 levels and back to
off by touching them.

They each plugged into separate sockets on the upstairs power point ring.

Occasionally when we turn the bathroom light off one or both come on.

Bathroom light is on the upstairs lighting ring.

I assume that this results from a small fluctuation rather than the
ghost following us back from the old inn over the road.

Any ideas?

You could make a trailing lead connection box incorporating an inline
filter and plug both into it as a stopgap measure.
I use ones like these on all my inputs to sensitive kit - dead cheap and
effective.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IEC-Chassis-Mo...mZ200273591910

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am just absolutely fascinated. It will do it for a night or two then
not for a few weeks. It does not seem to happen with other lights on the
same circuit as the bathroom light or with heavier current appliances on
the same power circuit as the bedside lights.

Circuits will probably need testing when the new CU is installed so we
might find out then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Do you have anything else switched on that may have an earth fault. Or not
be earthed at all. Are they low voltage lights in the bathroom? The
initial back current on electronic transformers might be causing this on the
table lamps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon
writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Grimly Curmudgeon
saying something like:

Any ideas?

You could make a trailing lead connection box incorporating an inline
filter and plug both into it as a stopgap measure.
I use ones like these on all my inputs to sensitive kit - dead cheap and
effective.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IEC-Chassis-Mo...es-2-sealed_W0
QQitemZ200273591910

Alternatively, if you have a serious objection to heavy woollen
clothing, you could try this cheeky little number already built.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...20270300015677

a box with an aversion to frenchmen ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Not so far as I know. Bathroom light is 230v single bulb. We will find
out whether we have a problem when the CU is replaced in the spring. The
problem occurs so rarely that it would not be practicable to unplug
things one at a time.