Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Touch Lights turning themselves on

"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Invisible Man
saying something like:

We have bedside lights that are operated through 3 levels and back to
off by touching them.

They each plugged into separate sockets on the upstairs power point

ring.

Occasionally when we turn the bathroom light off one or both come on.

Bathroom light is on the upstairs lighting ring.

I assume that this results from a small fluctuation rather than the
ghost following us back from the old inn over the road.

Any ideas?

You could make a trailing lead connection box incorporating an inline
filter and plug both into it as a stopgap measure.
I use ones like these on all my inputs to sensitive kit - dead cheap and
effective.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IEC-Chassis-Mo...mZ200273591910

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am just absolutely fascinated. It will do it for a night or two then
not for a few weeks. It does not seem to happen with other lights on the
same circuit as the bathroom light or with heavier current appliances on
the same power circuit as the bedside lights.

Circuits will probably need testing when the new CU is installed so we
might find out then.

Do you have anything else switched on that may have an earth fault. Or not
be earthed at all. Are they low voltage lights in the bathroom? The
initial back current on electronic transformers might be causing this on the
table lamps.