Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car radio switches on/off at random - possibly OT

If this is OT, does anyone know where I should post?

My car radio/cassette player has taken to switching itself on and off at
random, even when stationary with the ignition turned off (this latter
drains the battery). Since it doesn't lose the security code when it
switches off, I feel that it cannot be losing connection to the battery. I
have, of course, removed it from the car.

Has anybody seen this sort of behaviour, or have any good ideas. I'd be
grateful.

GPG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GPG" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

If this is OT, does anyone know where I should post?

My car radio/cassette player has taken to switching itself on and off at
random, even when stationary with the ignition turned off (this latter
drains the battery). Since it doesn't lose the security code when it
switches off, I feel that it cannot be losing connection to the battery.
I have, of course, removed it from the car.

Has anybody seen this sort of behaviour, or have any good ideas. I'd be
grateful.

Don't even waste the time & effort on it. Just lob it and get a new one
from one of the online suppliers - caraudiodirect or incarexpress or
similar.

We chucked a new Sony radio/CD/iPod head unit in 'erselfs car last year
for £80.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:04:59 -0000, "GPG" wrote:

If this is OT, does anyone know where I should post?

My car radio/cassette player has taken to switching itself on and off at
random, even when stationary with the ignition turned off (this latter
drains the battery). Since it doesn't lose the security code when it
switches off, I feel that it cannot be losing connection to the battery. I
have, of course, removed it from the car.

Has anybody seen this sort of behaviour, or have any good ideas. I'd be
grateful.

GPG

Until I read about it doing it when stationary I was going to suggest
an ill fitting removeable faceplate if it had one .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are there any wiring bodges?

A common wiring problem is the red (power) and yellow (standby power)
wires shorting together, deliberately joined or transposed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Nov 2008 15:09:45 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Don't even waste the time & effort on it.

That may be easier said than done. Modern cars tend not to have standard
euro sized radios but things shaped and sized to fit the dash, at least on
the outside.

I'd look for an intermittent supply connection fed via the aux position of
the ignition switch, (loose/corroded fuse). There is normally a separate
supply to maintain the memory/code.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

" gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Are there any wiring bodges?

A common wiring problem is the red (power) and yellow (standby power)

ITYM "Memory" and "Ignition live"

wires shorting together, deliberately joined or transposed.

Joined isn't a problem - you'll just have a head unit that can be used
with the ignition off.
Shorting together'd just get you a head unit that might sometimes stay on
or come on when the ignition's off.
Transposed will just give you a head unit that can be switched on when
the ignition's off, but only keeps the memory when the ignition's on...

(Assuming, of course, there's no way for the ignition live to feed back
into the rest of the car's electrics.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Don't even waste the time & effort on it.

That may be easier said than done. Modern cars tend not to have standard
euro sized radios but things shaped and sized to fit the dash, at least
on the outside.

....and cheap and easily available facia adaptors...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Dave Liquorice" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Don't even waste the time & effort on it.

That may be easier said than done. Modern cars tend not to have standard
euro sized radios but things shaped and sized to fit the dash, at least
on the outside.

...and cheap and easily available facia adaptors...

Never thought of that. Just what I need for my van. Do you have any
recommended suppliers (I will also of course Google myself)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"GPG" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

If this is OT, does anyone know where I should post?

My car radio/cassette player has taken to switching itself on and off at
random, even when stationary with the ignition turned off (this latter
drains the battery). Since it doesn't lose the security code when it
switches off, I feel that it cannot be losing connection to the battery.
I have, of course, removed it from the car.

Has anybody seen this sort of behaviour, or have any good ideas. I'd be
grateful.

Don't even waste the time & effort on it. Just lob it and get a new one
from one of the online suppliers - caraudiodirect or incarexpress or
similar.

your gonna be mighty ****ed off when your new headunit displays the same
symptons tho if the fault it the wiring in the car.

bit like saying put a new engine in the car when you have a blocked fuel
filter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
Joined isn't a problem - you'll just have a head unit that can be used
with the ignition off. Shorting together'd just get you a head unit that
might sometimes stay on or come on when the ignition's off. Transposed
will just give you a head unit that can be switched on when the
ignition's off, but only keeps the memory when the ignition's on...

(Assuming, of course, there's no way for the ignition live to feed back
into the rest of the car's electrics.)

It's not quite that simple. Many these days will work for a timed period
with the ignition off - for when you leave a passenger in the car, etc.
Mine does.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

That may be easier said than done. Modern cars tend not to have
standard euro sized radios but things shaped and sized to fit the
dash, at least on the outside.

...and cheap and easily available facia adaptors...

Never thought of that. Just what I need for my van. Do you have any
recommended suppliers (I will also of course Google myself)

Only those I gave in the first reply... grin
CarAudioDirect & InCarExpress.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gazz" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

your gonna be mighty ****ed off when your new headunit displays the same
symptons tho if the fault it the wiring in the car.

Which is most unlikely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Joined isn't a problem - you'll just have a head unit that can be used
with the ignition off. Shorting together'd just get you a head unit
that might sometimes stay on or come on when the ignition's off.
Transposed will just give you a head unit that can be switched on when
the ignition's off, but only keeps the memory when the ignition's on...

(Assuming, of course, there's no way for the ignition live to feed back
into the rest of the car's electrics.)

It's not quite that simple. Many these days will work for a timed period
with the ignition off - for when you leave a passenger in the car, etc.
Mine does.

Still that simple - a permanent live, and an ignition switched live.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

That may be easier said than done. Modern cars tend not to have
standard euro sized radios but things shaped and sized to fit the
dash, at least on the outside.

...and cheap and easily available facia adaptors...

Never thought of that. Just what I need for my van. Do you have any
recommended suppliers (I will also of course Google myself)

Only those I gave in the first reply... grin
CarAudioDirect & InCarExpress.

Without the www. before them I missed them. Point taken and thankyou

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

That may be easier said than done. Modern cars tend not to have
standard euro sized radios but things shaped and sized to fit the
dash, at least on the outside.

...and cheap and easily available facia adaptors...

Never thought of that. Just what I need for my van. Do you have any
recommended suppliers (I will also of course Google myself)

Only those I gave in the first reply... grin
CarAudioDirect & InCarExpress.

Any ideas on keeping the top display working, the one with the time,
temperature and radio station with a new unit.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Any ideas on keeping the top display working, the one with the time,
temperature and radio station with a new unit.

You can get display & wheel remote adaptors for many head units.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

That may be easier said than done. Modern cars tend not to have
standard euro sized radios but things shaped and sized to fit the
dash, at least on the outside.

...and cheap and easily available facia adaptors...

Never thought of that. Just what I need for my van. Do you have any
recommended suppliers (I will also of course Google myself)

Only those I gave in the first reply... grin
CarAudioDirect & InCarExpress.

Don't spose you know where I can get a basic cheaap car radio, don't want
CD, DVD, I Pod, just radio?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
"ARWadsworth" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

Any ideas on keeping the top display working, the one with the time,
temperature and radio station with a new unit.

You can get display & wheel remote adaptors for many head units.

On my old Renault, removing the old radio just removed the radio station
display. The time & temperature still displayed OK, and I just ignored
using the stalk controls.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Don't spose you know where I can get a basic cheaap car radio, don't want
CD, DVD, I Pod, just radio?

One of these, perhaps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160296745967

"It works conventionally on the medium and light waves."

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Don't spose you know where I can get a basic cheaap car radio, don't
want CD, DVD, I Pod, just radio?

Do they still make 'em? When name-brand MP3/CD/tuners with RDS are less
than £40, why bother?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:

Any ideas on keeping the top display working, the one with the time,
temperature and radio station with a new unit.

Have a look at the Connects2 website. They do all sorts of combinations to
keep your original controls and dispalys. I have one of their interfaces to
run a Sony Minidisc changer from the BMW radio cassette unit on my
motorcycle. Works well.

http://www.connects2.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't spose you know where I can get a basic cheaap car radio, don't
want CD, DVD, I Pod, just radio?

Do they still make 'em? When name-brand MP3/CD/tuners with RDS are
less than £40, why bother?

Cos all I ever do is listen to the radio 2 & 4 and I don't want 47 buttons I
don't understand, 18 special features I'll never use and a 'demo mode'
screen showing gibberish that I can't turn off.

And I'd rather have £40 worth of radio, not £5 worth of radio & £35 worth of
other stuff.

Bit like mobile phones innit? Try buying one that just makes phone
calls....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Adrian wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Don't spose you know where I can get a basic cheaap car radio, don't
want CD, DVD, I Pod, just radio?

Do they still make 'em? When name-brand MP3/CD/tuners with RDS are
less than £40, why bother?

Cos all I ever do is listen to the radio 2 & 4 and I don't want 47
buttons I don't understand, 18 special features I'll never use and a
'demo mode' screen showing gibberish that I can't turn off.

And I'd rather have £40 worth of radio, not £5 worth of radio & £35
worth of other stuff.

It's economies of scale. Making a few thousand basic radios could make
them more expensive than a mass produced more sophisticated one. And since
the majority of designs will be for OEM, most would feel ripped off if
their new car came with a basic radio.

Bit like mobile phones innit? Try buying one that just makes phone
calls....

And why are they all so small? Don't they realise older people use them
too? ;-)

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C
saying something like:

One of these, perhaps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160296745967

"It works conventionally on the medium and light waves."

Holy ****e! Is that what they're fetching now? I've got one of them
languishing in the workshop and has been for years, providing choons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon
writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C
saying something like:

One of these, perhaps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160296745967

"It works conventionally on the medium and light waves."

Holy ****e! Is that what they're fetching now? I've got one of them
languishing in the workshop and has been for years, providing choons.

'kin 'ell

I threw a couple of them in a skip a couple of months ago

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Even normal "wander" phones, I've just replaced my old ones at work
which were "normal" size (about 8-9" long" with some piddly little ones
which won't cradle in the shoulder properly

Oh for such a beast as a reasonably priced wireless headphone

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

What do you mean by reasonably priced? £26.94 Inc VAT

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=894304&Product=PHILIPS+B LUETOOTH+HEADSETS+SHB6100

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:23:48 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Holy ****e! Is that what they're fetching now? I've got one of them
languishing in the workshop and has been for years, providing choons.

Holy ****e indeed, I had a similar basic car radio knocking about in a box
some where but I think it's gone to the tip. If it hasn't...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?W...oduct=PHILIPS+
BLUETOOTH+HEADSETS+SHB6100

.... for a mobile phone or PC, not a normal landline

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Holy ****e! Is that what they're fetching now? I've got one of them
languishing in the workshop and has been for years, providing choons.

Holy ****e indeed, I had a similar basic car radio knocking about in a
box some where but I think it's gone to the tip. If it hasn't...

I can only guess the fancy price was because it was modified to give an
aux input.

--
*The longest recorded flightof a chicken is thirteen seconds *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Holy ****e! Is that what they're fetching now? I've got one of them
languishing in the workshop and has been for years, providing choons.

Holy ****e indeed, I had a similar basic car radio knocking about in a
box some where but I think it's gone to the tip. If it hasn't...

I can only guess the fancy price was because it was modified to give an
aux input.

Five minute's work with an iron and two hundred quid better off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article et,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Holy ****e! Is that what they're fetching now? I've got one of them
languishing in the workshop and has been for years, providing choons.

Holy ****e indeed, I had a similar basic car radio knocking about in a
box some where but I think it's gone to the tip. If it hasn't...

I can only guess the fancy price was because it was modified to give an
aux input.

More likely because it was claimed to cover both medium wave and light
wave. Not too many of that model around.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Ian White
saying something like:

More likely because it was claimed to cover both medium wave and light
wave. Not too many of that model around.

Troo.
Relatedly, I have a model which covers VHF & Local Radio - rare as hen's
teeth.

OT possibly? George UK diy 13 September 22nd 08 08:41 PM
Adding an FM radio to a valve/tube car radio N_Cook Electronics Repair 12 July 16th 08 10:46 AM
O.T possibly Mindwipe UK diy 3 March 1st 06 04:02 AM