Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Any Browser settings Javascript expertise here?

If you take a look at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/m1byt/weather/gauges.htm

You will probably see some actual values or levels appearing on the
vertical gauges - apart that is from the values which appear as you
mouse over those gauges.

Now the problem is(despite knowing others can see them) that I cannot
see those levels appearing in my own browser, possibly due to its
configuration settings. Can anyone provide any clues for a solution
please? I'm advised it is something to do with Javascript.

My browser is Slimbrowser, which uses the core of IE and I have IE7
installed.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
If you take a look at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/m1byt/weather/gauges.htm

You will probably see some actual values or levels appearing on the
vertical gauges - apart that is from the values which appear as you
mouse over those gauges.

Now the problem is(despite knowing others can see them) that I cannot
see those levels appearing in my own browser, possibly due to its
configuration settings. Can anyone provide any clues for a solution
please? I'm advised it is something to do with Javascript.

My browser is Slimbrowser, which uses the core of IE and I have IE7
installed.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

You mean the mouse over doesn't bring up the dialog window with the details
in it? Go here http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and download the
latest java install for your system. It is also advisable to disable
Microsoft Virtual Machine (MSVM) on your machine and load the Java Program.
It is more secure than the MS versions. Instructions are here
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
If you take a look at
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/m1byt/weather/gauges.htm

You will probably see some actual values or levels appearing on the
vertical gauges - apart that is from the values which appear as you
mouse over those gauges.

Now the problem is(despite knowing others can see them) that I cannot
see those levels appearing in my own browser, possibly due to its
configuration settings. Can anyone provide any clues for a solution
please? I'm advised it is something to do with Javascript.

My browser is Slimbrowser, which uses the core of IE and I have IE7
installed.

Well most of te images are straight JPEGS.

The tow dials at the bottom are flash, so you need flash to see them.

There might be some real time javascript updating of parameters
somewhere via some code I couldn't be arsed to pull.

But if javascript and flash are enabled, it should work.

Which is more than most of tiscali does..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:

You mean the mouse over doesn't bring up the dialog window with the details
in it? Go here http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and download the
latest java install for your system.

The page appears to require javaSCRIPT but not JAVA, so upgrading or
changing JVM wouldn't help, all seemed to work in firefox3, a quick look
at the contents didn't seem to be doing "unreasonable" things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
BigWallop wrote:

You mean the mouse over doesn't bring up the dialog window with the

details
in it? Go here http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and download

the
latest java install for your system.

The page appears to require javaSCRIPT but not JAVA, so upgrading or
changing JVM wouldn't help, all seemed to work in firefox3, a quick look
at the contents didn't seem to be doing "unreasonable" things.

The latest java install will set java on your machine not just in the
browser. When you go to pages that contain any javascript or java images,
you PC does the transition without needing the browser settings.

Try it. If you don't like it, it uninstalls easily and a repair of IE7 from
control panel puts everything back as it was. But the new java install is
more secure than having the browser deal with these scripts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:

The latest java install will set java on your machine not just in the
browser.

Yes ... but ... javascript (inside or outside of the browser) has
nothing whatsoever to do with java (other than being able to access it
through the DOM)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Harry Bloomfield
saying something like:

Can anyone provide any clues for a solution
please? I'm advised it is something to do with Javascript.

Yep, when I first load the site, it's static, until I enable jscript via
NoScript, a Firefox plugin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote on 13/11/2008 :
You mean the mouse over doesn't bring up the dialog window with the details
in it? Go here http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and download the
latest java install for your system. It is also advisable to disable
Microsoft Virtual Machine (MSVM) on your machine and load the Java Program.
It is more secure than the MS versions. Instructions are here
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

The mouse over DOES bring up the details window, but I'm not seeing any
values on the gauges apart from the mouse over popups.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher brought next idea :
Well most of te images are straight JPEGS.

The tow dials at the bottom are flash, so you need flash to see them.

The two dials work fine.

There might be some real time javascript updating of parameters somewhere via
some code I couldn't be arsed to pull.

The vertical gauges show, but not the moving levels which are supposed
to be on them. I can also see the data in the pop up windows.

But if javascript and flash are enabled, it should work.

They are enabled, but they don't work for me. It is my site, others can
see them as they were intended to be seen, but not me for some strange
reason.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop brought next idea :
Go here http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and download the
latest java install for your system.

That was the first thing I did, when I first realised there was a
problem last week, none the less I have just run the install again.
Clicking the Java verify button, it shows up as having the latest
version and properly installed.

It is also advisable to disable
Microsoft Virtual Machine (MSVM) on your machine and load the Java Program.
It is more secure than the MS versions. Instructions are here
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

I cannot seem to find any options to disable MSVM in my browsers. The
Java (Sun) section is limited to just one ticky box marked
'Use JRE 1.6.0_10for applet (requires restart)'.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I cannot seem to find any options to disable MSVM in my browsers. The
Java (Sun) section is limited to just one ticky box marked
'Use JRE 1.6.0_10for applet (requires restart)'.

A machine would have to be quite old to have the Microsoft JVM installed
instead of, or as well as the Sun JVM.

However, as the page does NOT use any applets, all java settings are
definitely irrelevant.