Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbing sink

Hi

I need to plumb in a sink, and I don't much like plumbing! So I have a
few qs...

There's an existing run of 40mm sovl weld waste that I need to tap
into, but I dont want to use more solv weld, and I gather compressions
arent compatible with solv weld pipe due to a slight size difference.
The present pipe is 42.5mm. Is pushfit compatible with this?

I plan to use microbore, since all the conditions seem favourable for
it. Any reason to choose between 8mm and 10mm? What min bending radius
should I stick to?

What do I use to connect the microbore to the taps?

Can I use sand instead of a bending spring?

Any recommended supplier for all the bits? Screwfix doesnt do
microbore bending springs.

cheers, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi

I need to plumb in a sink, and I don't much like plumbing! So I have a
few qs...

There's an existing run of 40mm sovl weld waste that I need to tap
into, but I dont want to use more solv weld, and I gather compressions
arent compatible with solv weld pipe due to a slight size difference.
The present pipe is 42.5mm. Is pushfit compatible with this?

I plan to use microbore, since all the conditions seem favourable for
it. Any reason to choose between 8mm and 10mm? What min bending radius
should I stick to?

What do I use to connect the microbore to the taps?

Can I use sand instead of a bending spring?

Any recommended supplier for all the bits? Screwfix doesnt do
microbore bending springs.

cheers, NT

You say you want to tap into an existing waste pipe? What other appliances
are on this pipe?

You want to use Microbore pipework to the faucets? Where is the water
supplied from for the new appliance?

Microbore pipe is easily manipulated by hand, but if you want to make tight
bends, you will need an external bender handle. The pipe actually sits
inside a shaped form to hold the outside of the pipe wall and reduce any
creasing.

More info' on the whole layout for this type project, please. Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to plumb in a sink, and I don't much like plumbing! So I have a
few qs...

There's an existing run of 40mm sovl weld waste that I need to tap
into, but I dont want to use more solv weld, and I gather compressions
arent compatible with solv weld pipe due to a slight size difference.
The present pipe is 42.5mm. Is pushfit compatible with this?

Compression (aka "universal") is compatible with both pushfit and
solvent weld. However the pushfit and solvent weld are not
interchangeable. Slight size difference, and the wrong sort of plastic
in the case of pushfit.

I plan to use microbore, since all the conditions seem favourable for
it. Any reason to choose between 8mm and 10mm? What min bending radius
should I stick to?

Main pressure water I take it? Can't see it makes much difference,
although I personally would use 10mm for something like this. I would
expect 50 - 60mm to be the min radius.

What do I use to connect the microbore to the taps?

What sort of taps? Traditional ones will take a BSP tap connector. You
could either use ones that are terminated in 10mm or use a step down
adaptor of some sort. Monoblock taps tend to have 8 or 10mm inlets
anyway and come with flexi tails. These usually fit onto an ordinary
service valve with the top nut and olive removed.

Can I use sand instead of a bending spring?

Never tried it, so don't know. A external spring is probably quite cheap
and works well though.

Any recommended supplier for all the bits? Screwfix doesnt do
microbore bending springs.

BES if you need anything at all unusual.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 7:37*pm, "BigWallop"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Theres 2 or 3 sinks on it so far, and kitchen appliances. An antivac
trap will be used to avoid gurgling.

You want to use Microbore pipework to the faucets? *Where is the water
supplied from for the new appliance?

15mm pipes are nearby, its only a short run in microbore to add, and
the pressure's high.

Microbore pipe is easily manipulated by hand, but if you want to make tight
bends, you will need an external bender handle. *The pipe actually sits
inside a shaped form to hold the outside of the pipe wall and reduce any
creasing.

Right - I will need a fairly tight bend at one place.

More info' on the whole layout for this type project, please. *Ta.

OK, the new sink is first floor, all the existing plumbing &
appliances are on ground floor, almost directly underneath. I'm sure
microbore will give plenty of flow for the use it'll get. Not sure
what else I can tell you about layout - I'm a bit short on clues in
the plumbing dept. The sink will use 2 taps, no mixer.

Anything else I can tell you?

ta, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Nov 10, 7:37 pm, "BigWallop"
wrote:
snipped

You say you want to tap into an existing waste pipe? What other

appliances
are on this pipe?

Theres 2 or 3 sinks on it so far, and kitchen appliances. An antivac
trap will be used to avoid gurgling.

Sorry. That won't work. You'll need to create a loop vent from the waste
stack for that amount of appliances. A fresh air inlet won't cope with
three of these appliances emtpying at the same time. You'll need to upgrade
the pipe itself to 50 mm to take all the appliances if they decide to all
emtpy at the same time. The top of the loop can be made in 32 mm pipe to
allow the air to suck in from the top branch on the stack.

But your BCO won't pass it if it's not done correctly.

You want to use Microbore pipework to the faucets? Where is the water
supplied from for the new appliance?

15mm pipes are nearby, its only a short run in microbore to add, and
the pressure's high.

The pressure is high on both hot and cold? You'll be amazed at how much
flow rate will be restricted by dropping the pipe diameter that much. I
think it's best if you keep the 15 mm pipe through out, because a drop in
size will only allow a dribble at the taps.

You also have to reduce and increase the diameter again to fit the faucets
at the sink.

Microbore pipe is easily manipulated by hand, but if you want to make

tight
bends, you will need an external bender handle. The pipe actually sits
inside a shaped form to hold the outside of the pipe wall and reduce any
creasing.

Right - I will need a fairly tight bend at one place.

Microbore bender is what to search for.

More info' on the whole layout for this type project, please. Ta.

OK, the new sink is first floor, all the existing plumbing &
appliances are on ground floor, almost directly underneath. I'm sure
microbore will give plenty of flow for the use it'll get. Not sure
what else I can tell you about layout - I'm a bit short on clues in
the plumbing dept. The sink will use 2 taps, no mixer.

Anything else I can tell you?

ta, NT

How high up is the first floor? Can you take a branch directly through the
wall from the waste stack? Dropping water from a height into the pipework
below won't just suck on the top most point at the new sink. As it rushes
passed the other appliances, it will suck the water out the traps on them as
well. Yes, even with a FAI at the high point.

Your water supply drops to the floor below, then rises to the room you want
the new sink to be? And you think microbore or minibore pipework will be
sufficient? Sorry, personally I don't think so. Microbore is OK for higher
pressures in pumped systems or as a reducer to flow on high pressure mains
supply. Small diameter pipes are not the best to supply faucets on a sink,
especially if it's from a lower pressure system or low level tank fed.

More input please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:28:02 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

There's an existing run of 40mm sovl weld waste that I need to tap
into, but I dont want to use more solv weld, and I gather compressions
arent compatible with solv weld pipe due to a slight size difference.
The present pipe is 42.5mm. Is pushfit compatible with this?

Compression is the usual way to get between solvent weld and push-fit as
it wil fit both (but more snugly on s/w).

--
John Stumbles

Bob the builder / it'll cost 'yer
Bob the builder / loadsa dosh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 19:43:07 +0000, John Rumm

[...]

Yep.My bathroom w/h basin is fed by microbore tapped off the bath
feeds and when I turn the w/h taps on it almost hits you in the face
when it bounces off the basin .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 10, 7:37 pm, "BigWallop"
wrote:
snipped

[...]

The cross sectional area of a 10mm pipe is less than half that of 15mm, 8mm
is two thirds less. As BW said, you'd be amazed how much flow will be lost.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 8:24*pm, John Stumbles wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:28:02 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

There's an existing run of 40mm sovl weld waste that I need to tap
into, but I dont want to use more solv weld, and I gather compressions
arent compatible with solv weld pipe due to a slight size difference.
The present pipe is 42.5mm. Is pushfit compatible with this?

Compression is the usual way to get between solvent weld and push-fit as
it wil fit both (but more snugly on s/w).

excellent, ta. I tried fitting compression onto solv pipe once before
and couldnt, but with this one I've got enough access to put force on
it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 7:43*pm, John Rumm wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Right, cheers. One last question I've got. The routing of the waste
pipe is to say the least tight, and what would be ideal would be to
remove an existing solv weld elbow and replace it with a compression
tee. I'm well aware of how solv weld works, so assume this is
impossible - is it? Or is the bond patchy enough to make it doable?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 8:14*pm, "BigWallop"
wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 10, 7:37 pm, "BigWallop"
wrote:
snipped

[...]

Now I'm starting to see what other input you wanted. The set up is
quite different to what you say there, and thankfully this bit of the
puzzle is now solved.

thanks, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:48:18 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

BigWallop wrote:
wrote in message
On Nov 10, 7:37 pm, "BigWallop"
wrote:
snipped

[...]

Hmmm.That's not my experience .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:
[...]

IME, not a hope!

Just thought, you might, just possibly, find flexible waste useful. In
some cases, it makes life very easy compared with trying to get rigid
pipe working well.

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/125.asp

I know that it was invaluable for a couple of places here. I got the
HepFlex pipe with solvent weld bits and it worked (and several years
later still works) a treat.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

I need to plumb in a sink, and I don't much like plumbing! So I have a
few qs...

There's an existing run of 40mm sovl weld waste that I need to tap
into, but I dont want to use more solv weld, and I gather compressions
arent compatible with solv weld pipe due to a slight size difference.
The present pipe is 42.5mm. Is pushfit compatible with this?

I plan to use microbore, since all the conditions seem favourable for
it. Any reason to choose between 8mm and 10mm? What min bending radius
should I stick to?

What do I use to connect the microbore to the taps?

Can I use sand instead of a bending spring?

Any recommended supplier for all the bits? Screwfix doesnt do
microbore bending springs.

cheers, NT

OK, a few final details before I get cracking tomorrow...

Do I need to put some kind of plastic washer under the tap, or can I
bolt it direct onto the porcelain?

10-15mm conversion: what can I do with a reducer set versus a 10-15
coupler?
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...chbutton.y= 0

Thanks!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Does that coupler comes apart to hold the 10 mm compression ring? If it
doesn't, how does it work? A 15 to 10 mm reducer just tightens on the ends
of the two pipes without problem. Isn't that simpler? I honestly don't
know how that coupler works. I've seen two part reducer rings that allow 15
mm tube to fit in a 22 mm compression fitting. So does that coupler do the
same? It doesn't look as though it comes apart, as far as I see in the
photo'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 00:20:17 +0000, BigWallop wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...1A4CSTHZOCFFA?

_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=23297&searchbutton.x=0&searchbutton.y= 0

Thanks!
NT

Does that coupler comes apart to hold the 10 mm compression ring? If it
doesn't, how does it work? A 15 to 10 mm reducer just tightens on the
ends of the two pipes without problem. Isn't that simpler? I honestly
don't know how that coupler works. I've seen two part reducer rings
that allow 15 mm tube to fit in a 22 mm compression fitting. So does
that coupler do the same? It doesn't look as though it comes apart, as
far as I see in the photo'.

One piece reducing sets are now sold. These have a very thin part between
the two more solid ends of the "reducing set", the thin part acts like and
olive on the smaller pipe whilst the 'end' work like a larger olive for
the fitting.