EricP

Default Kitchen sink plumbing

At present I have a 2.5 sink with a garbage unit on the middle bowl
and dishwasher and washing machine going into spiggots under one of
the other bowls.

I want to go down to a one bowl sink which will have the garbage unit
underneath. This leaves the problem of disposing of the washing
machine and dish washer outlets as I lose them and there can't
apparently be spiggots fitted into this pipework.

What would be the method of overcoming this? The problem seems to be
to put two spiggots into standard waste pipe.

Set Square

EricP wrote:

At present I have a 2.5 sink with a garbage unit on the middle bowl
and dishwasher and washing machine going into spiggots under one of
the other bowls.

I want to go down to a one bowl sink which will have the garbage unit
underneath. This leaves the problem of disposing of the washing
machine and dish washer outlets as I lose them and there can't
apparently be spiggots fitted into this pipework.

What would be the method of overcoming this? The problem seems to be
to put two spiggots into standard waste pipe.

Some waste disposers have a spigot on the side - with a knock-out plug - for
the connection of a dishwasher output etc. Does yours? If so, you may be
able to use that - but you'd presumably need a Y-piece to connect the
dishwasher and washing-machine outlets together (preferably with non-return
valves in both) before connecting the combined output into the spigot.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

EricP

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:45:45 +0100, "Set Square"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

EricP wrote:

[...]

My GDU has no facilities for this but it may be a good time to replace
it. I will go and see what the outlets on a new one are like.

Cheers for the direction. )

BigWallop

"EricP" wrote in message
At present I have a 2.5 sink with a garbage unit on the middle bowl
and dishwasher and washing machine going into spiggots under one of
the other bowls.

I want to go down to a one bowl sink which will have the garbage unit
underneath. This leaves the problem of disposing of the washing
machine and dish washer outlets as I lose them and there can't
apparently be spiggots fitted into this pipework.

What would be the method of overcoming this? The problem seems to be
to put two spiggots into standard waste pipe.

A Tee branch off to the side of the main waste pipe with two push fit
nozzles on it. You know the TEE Branch pipe fittings that have the tapered
thing sticking out of the branch. You've seen them in B&Q. Well, two of
these tapered bits can be fitted to one TEE fitting, which will take the two
appliances to the main waste pipe under the sink.

Main Waste Pipe has one TEE fitting inserted. This TEE has a piece of pipe
fitted to its branch. On that branch you fit another TEE fitting on the
end. On that TEE fitting you put the two tapered pipes on for the hoses of
the appliances to fit on to.

They're called appliance or washing-machine tees' or something silly like
that. And you should only need two unless they don't come with all the
compression nuts and rings.

Jobs done.

John Rumm

EricP wrote:

What would be the method of overcoming this? The problem seems to be
to put two spiggots into standard waste pipe.

Fit a separate stand pipe and trap for the appliances and ignore the
sink waste altogether...

--
Cheers,

John.

EricP

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:57:22 +0100, John Rumm

EricP wrote:

What would be the method of overcoming this? The problem seems to be
to put two spiggots into standard waste pipe.

Fit a separate stand pipe and trap for the appliances and ignore the
sink waste altogether...

It is the easy way out but stand pipes are noisy and tend to stink,
that was why I did away with it.

Might be the easiest option or a 1.5 sink.

Cheers

EricP

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:53:27 GMT, "BigWallop"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

"EricP" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Dear Mr Wallop

Your words obviously have great wisdom to them, sadly unlike my local
B&Q, which will hopefully burn to the ground in the immediate future,
thereby saving the waste of electricity.

When I find a B&Q that actually stocks things to sell and does not
display on the dump-bin principle, I will be much better off, and able
to put your sage advice into practise.

As you can't escape me, I will return!

)

BigWallop

"EricP" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:53:27 GMT, "BigWallop"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

"EricP" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/69677.jpg and two of
these http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/88172.jpg

Place one of the Tee fittings in the existing waste pipe with its branch
toward the appliances. On the branch, put a piece of pipe that also points
toward the appliances. On the end of this piece of pipe put the other Tee
fitting, but have it with its branch pointing upward toward the ceiling.

Now, on the Tee fitting, the one that has its branch pointing to the ceiling
and is fitted at the loose end of the piece of pipe, put just the appliance
spigots from the other two fittings. Connect your appliance waste outlet
hoses to the appliance spigots.

If they are all the same size, then they'll fit together properly. Jobs a
good 'un' :-)

BigWallop

"BigWallop" wrote in message
news

"EricP" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 12:53:27 GMT, "BigWallop"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

snipped

BTW. We have three "Bent & Queer" stores within 5 minutes walking distance
from our house, and they too should all burn to the ground as well. Asked
for a drill bit. A simple 5mm HSS drill bit. What was the reply? You'll
have to go to our SHED, we don't got none here massa'. The bloody SHED is
about 12 miles away, compared to them being half a mile from all the largest
residential areas around these parts. Burnt & Quick, indeed. :-)

EricP

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 14:13:55 GMT, "BigWallop"
babbled like a waterfall and said:

Two of these
http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/69677.jpg and two of
these http://www.toolstation.com/images/li...bbig/88172.jpg

Place one of the Tee fittings in the existing waste pipe with its branch
toward the appliances. On the branch, put a piece of pipe that also points
toward the appliances. On the end of this piece of pipe put the other Tee
fitting, but have it with its branch pointing upward toward the ceiling.

Now, on the Tee fitting, the one that has its branch pointing to the ceiling
and is fitted at the loose end of the piece of pipe, put just the appliance
spigots from the other two fittings. Connect your appliance waste outlet
hoses to the appliance spigots.

If they are all the same size, then they'll fit together properly. Jobs a
good 'un' :-)

So you're into colonic irrigation as well then?

And cheers for solving my problem.

PS Want to emigrate south?
I have a nice comfy garage and there's the CH install, the rewiring of
the kitchen, the bathroom install, the ceilings to put back and then
the decorating. )

BigWallop

"EricP" wrote in message
[...]

I'm leaving right now. Meet me at the station. :-) Then you can come back
with me and help finish off this place. LOL :-))

John Rumm

EricP wrote:

Fit a separate stand pipe and trap for the appliances and ignore the
sink waste altogether...

It is the easy way out but stand pipes are noisy and tend to stink,
that was why I did away with it.

Might be the easiest option or a 1.5 sink.

Must admit I have never noticed a problem with either of those issues.
In fact I have found that the spiggots onto the waste pipes are often
louder.

The trick seems to be use a propper u bend at the bottom of each pipe
(not a bottle trap), that does away with the smell without adding to the
noise. Then stuff enough of the outlet pipe from the appliance down into
the stand pipe. That way the water is not falling too far from the pipe
to the water in the trap. This keeps the noise dowm. When all hidden
away behing the appliance you won't here it over the noise of the
appliance itself. Also make sure not to make the join from appliance
waste to stand pipe airtight. That way there is no danger of it
syphoning water out or making "gluggy" sounds.

--
Cheers,

John.

EricP

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:03:12 +0100, John Rumm

EricP wrote:

[...]

Well since either this option or Mr Wallop's one will cost me £5.50 to
try, I think I will do both in turn to experiment.

Although the GDU does have a knock-out for a dishwasher, as another
poster pointed out and I think the flow of the dishwasher waste
through a GDU might have a very positive element to clean it as they
do stink due to the water lock having to be far away from the sink
inlet.

John Rumm

EricP wrote:

Although the GDU does have a knock-out for a dishwasher, as another
poster pointed out and I think the flow of the dishwasher waste
through a GDU might have a very positive element to clean it as they
do stink due to the water lock having to be far away from the sink
inlet.

I made the mistake of fitting a spiggot before the trap once at my mums
place. Now that was noisy. If the washing machine was emptying you
needed to put the plug in the sink if you wanted to hold a coversation
in the kitchen!

--
Cheers,

John.

Pete C

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:20:25 GMT, EricP
wrote:

At present I have a 2.5 sink with a garbage unit on the middle bowl
and dishwasher and washing machine going into spiggots under one of
the other bowls.

I want to go down to a one bowl sink which will have the garbage unit
underneath. This leaves the problem of disposing of the washing
machine and dish washer outlets as I lose them and there can't
apparently be spiggots fitted into this pipework.

What would be the method of overcoming this? The problem seems to be
to put two spiggots into standard waste pipe.

Hi,

If this isn't practical BES do a double plumbing out kit, #13761

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/123.asp

Tip: when fitting find some way of retaining the cut-out if there is a
risk of it blocking the drain.

cheers,
Pete.
EricP

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:16:39 +0100, Pete C

wrote:

At present I have a 2.5 sink with a garbage unit on the middle bowl
and dishwasher and washing machine going into spiggots under one of
the other bowls.

I want to go down to a one bowl sink which will have the garbage unit
underneath. This leaves the problem of disposing of the washing
machine and dish washer outlets as I lose them and there can't
apparently be spiggots fitted into this pipework.

What would be the method of overcoming this? The problem seems to be
to put two spiggots into standard waste pipe.

Hi,

If this isn't practical BES do a double plumbing out kit, #13761

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/123.asp

Tip: when fitting find some way of retaining the cut-out if there is a
risk of it blocking the drain.

cheers,
Pete.

What a superb fellow you are! )))))))))