Posted to alt.home.repair
Duncan Tuna

Default Plumbing Q: Stinky Sink drain .. any ideas?

About two years ago, I had my 2nd story bathroom remodeled. For months, it
was completely fine, but recently, there's a bad smell from the bathroom
sink. It drains well .. But to get rid of the smell, I did try a draino
type liquid. Didn't fix the problem. This has been going on for months
now.

It smells like rotten eggs .. maybe sewer gas. As I said, the plubming
under the sink is updated, up to code, and has a trap there, which would
make me think it's not sewer gas. -- I've opened up the trap there, and
it's clean as a whistle.

Also, generally, you smell it more when the water is on.

Could it be something like my vent pipe to the roof is clogged, forcing gas
through the trap? -- No other drain in the house has this problem, btw.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Duncan Tuna wrote:

About two years ago, I had my 2nd story bathroom remodeled. For months, it
was completely fine, but recently, there's a bad smell from the bathroom
sink. It drains well .. But to get rid of the smell, I did try a draino
type liquid. Didn't fix the problem. This has been going on for months
now.

It smells like rotten eggs .. maybe sewer gas. As I said, the plubming
under the sink is updated, up to code, and has a trap there, which would
make me think it's not sewer gas. -- I've opened up the trap there, and
it's clean as a whistle.

Also, generally, you smell it more when the water is on.

Could it be something like my vent pipe to the roof is clogged, forcing gas
through the trap? -- No other drain in the house has this problem, btw.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

If there was water in the trap when you took it off,
that will prevent sewer gas from escaping.
Unless you hear the trap gurgling when other fixtures
are draining, there is no vent issue.

More likely, there is gunk built up in the drain
*above* the trap inlet and in the sink itself, including
the overflow passages. Take the trap out and use a
brush to scrub the inside of the drain with bleach
solution.

Then, take the turkey baster (tell her it's for a good cause)
and squirt solution into the overflow opening. That fluid
should end up in the drain opening if the passage is clear.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

"Duncan Tuna" wrote in message

snip.

It smells like rotten eggs .. maybe sewer gas. As I said, the plubming
under the sink is updated, up to code, and has a trap there, which would
make me think it's not sewer gas. -- I've opened up the trap there, and
it's clean as a whistle.

It's possible to have a blockage in the roof vent pipe. To clear your
stacks just feed
a running hose down the pipe until it stops. I've done it - obviously a no
brainer give
that little tidbit.

Also, generally, you smell it more when the water is on.issue.

This part is intriguing to me because I had a similar situation. You didn't
mention
your water source so if it's chlorinated public water this won't help. I
had bacterial
growth in the water heating tank which required a shock treatment to kill
off the
bloom, but this was at a cabin with well water source which has a low
bacteria count.
Unfortunately for me, the tank became a incubator when used occassionally
and turned
off when not in use. It took 5 or 6 months for this to happen.

snip

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Duncan Tuna wrote:
About two years ago, I had my 2nd story bathroom remodeled. For months, it
was completely fine, but recently, there's a bad smell from the bathroom
sink. It drains well .. But to get rid of the smell, I did try a draino
type liquid. Didn't fix the problem. This has been going on for months
now.

It smells like rotten eggs .. maybe sewer gas. As I said, the plubming
under the sink is updated, up to code, and has a trap there, which would
make me think it's not sewer gas. -- I've opened up the trap there, and
it's clean as a whistle.

Also, generally, you smell it more when the water is on.

Could it be something like my vent pipe to the roof is clogged, forcing gas
through the trap? -- No other drain in the house has this problem, btw.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

OK, you mentioned that the smell is there only when running water. So,
first run some HOT water in a glass and smell it. Does it smell like
rotten eggs ? If so, respond back and I'll tell you how to rid that
problem forever. If it's not in the hot water then you must have a
drain issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

About two years ago, I had my 2nd story bathroom remodeled. For months,
it was completely fine, but recently, there's a bad smell from the
bathroom sink.

There may be crud growing in the overflow. Try using a kettle, teapot or
something to pour HOT water with maybe 25% bleach added down the overflow
hole

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bubby

Please let us know what you mean by a "drain issue". I ask because I have
a similar problem: I get this musty smell only in the spring and summer, the
drain is fine in the winter. If I put down the drain stopper, it is better
(although not 100% because I can still smell it a bit from the small opening
at the top of the sink).

of the