Posted to alt.home.repair
robertp

Default relocating a bathroom sink drain

Hello. Doing a little remodeling in my bathroom at home and I need a
little advice. I'll try to explain this the best I can....

I want to relocate a bathroom sink about 15 ft or so away. The problem
is that I don't know how to go about running the drain line. I plan on
using an air-admittance valve inside the base cabinet to properly vent
it. It's just getting the drain there that's giving me trouble.
Basically, the drain would have to somehow be run in the wall past a
toilet, a bathtub, and then 90, and run inside an exterior cbs wall for
about 9 feet.... which I don't think is possible. The bathtub and the
toilet will also be replaced in the process.

What is the easiest way to run this drain?

Is it possible to tap into the bathtub drain and then dig into the
concrete slab to run the drain pipe to the sink? This would be the
closest drain - 9ft.

Can I dig into the concrete slab and just run the drain pipe directly
from where the sink is now to it's new position? This would be the
farthest drain - 15ft.

If either of these 2 solutions would work, what would the slope need to
be?

Thanks!

Robert

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

robertp wrote:
[...]

Tough one!

The pipe needs to be 1 1/2" trade size. That means drilling
a whole bunch of great big holes in all those studs....
or notching them because you can't "snake" the pipe thru.
That means a lot of structural weakening.

Yes, you can probably tie into the tub drain *after* the
tub P-trap. You'll have to be very good at breaking
up/sawing concrete slab not to cause damage to the drains
or other utilities in there.

If permits/inspections are a possibility, I would seek
advice from the inspector *before*.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
robertp

Yeah, I know it's a tough one. I'm leaning towards hiring a pro for
this part of it. Even though I'm pretty handy and all, I just don't
feel comfortable with it at this point.
Thanks for the advice.