Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default Plumbing Q: Stinky Sink drain .. any ideas?

Duncan Tuna wrote:
About two years ago, I had my 2nd story bathroom remodeled. For months, it
was completely fine, but recently, there's a bad smell from the bathroom
sink. It drains well .. But to get rid of the smell, I did try a draino
type liquid. Didn't fix the problem. This has been going on for months
now.

It smells like rotten eggs .. maybe sewer gas. As I said, the plubming
under the sink is updated, up to code, and has a trap there, which would
make me think it's not sewer gas. -- I've opened up the trap there, and
it's clean as a whistle.

Also, generally, you smell it more when the water is on.

Could it be something like my vent pipe to the roof is clogged, forcing gas
through the trap? -- No other drain in the house has this problem, btw.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

OK, you mentioned that the smell is there only when running water. So,
first run some HOT water in a glass and smell it. Does it smell like
rotten eggs ? If so, respond back and I'll tell you how to rid that
problem forever. If it's not in the hot water then you must have a
drain issue.